RRG 2011 Gloucestershire,Prescott Hillclimb 21st august

Volvo 300 Mania meetings dates and events
theo2468

Re: RRG 2011 Gloucestershire,Prescott Hillclimb 21st august

Post by theo2468 » 21 Aug 2011 09:31 pm

yeah had a look around for you thought you would be with speedy and you wernt so i guessed you didnt make it, real shame really wanted to see your car!
ill get some up now, ps there only off my phone tho.
C25 ECV-1985-Mk2 340GL-Kessy
A889 VUY-1983-Mk2 360GLS-RUF
volvosneverdie wrote:Vnd says:
diffs, are like pubs and legs.
Best appreciated when open.
I probably should have specified ladies legs in there too. [+=] "embarrarrased emoticon"[].com

theo2468

Post by theo2468 » 21 Aug 2011 10:07 pm

anyway crappy phone pics.
ill post the rest another time, just volvo content for now
C25 ECV-1985-Mk2 340GL-Kessy
A889 VUY-1983-Mk2 360GLS-RUF
volvosneverdie wrote:Vnd says:
diffs, are like pubs and legs.
Best appreciated when open.
I probably should have specified ladies legs in there too. [+=] "embarrarrased emoticon"[].com

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 21 Aug 2011 11:25 pm

Sorry we missed you...we saw the car, but couldn't find you any time we were near...and none of us had your number.
The 343 makes a comedy noise, doesn't it?
That 850 sounds evil...

It was a really excellent day out, and I'm pleased with how the car performed...although I think I've confirmed that I need a new gearbox, after crunching pretty much every 2nd to 3rd shift (and missing it completely when racing a diesel Vectra on the way home! Still won, of course...).

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 21 Aug 2011 11:32 pm

Looked awesome. Just caught a load of photos on RR too. Sooooo gutted I missed it. At least I got to see Foggy's 343 in the flesh though. Gotta say James, it's an awesome thing. I'm seriously considering scraping money together and buying filthyjohn's now!

Thanks again for the gearbox, I unfortunately didnt get it on in time for the show. Ended up getting a recovery truck back to brizzle. Oh well, next year! :mrgreen:
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 22 Aug 2011 12:09 am

Good stuff! Loved it. I've got pics and videos. Here's a teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6e0QF1Wmh8
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 22 Aug 2011 12:20 am

Thanks Jon! I think John's is a 1982 mk2, though...so it's got the early dash (and crap seats! sm56), but it's a mk2 outside. Still great value though.

Good to see you again Mr Scenester ( sm56 )...car seemed to go very nicely :)

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 22 Aug 2011 05:56 pm

'Twas a good day out in general and it's always good to meet up with the usual suspects (Farrell, Thhhhpayynetah, Foggy, Sceney, Sammy and the Geordies in this case). It was also great fun to hammer up the hill, even if it wasn't competitive.

However....

I won't being going next year even if they do hold it in the same place. The only parts I did enjoy were those mentioned above, the rest was pants in my opinion.

If you had a stand you were in the main arena area and got all the attention, if you just turned up to participate you were shunted off to a side area and parked 'off stage' as it were so there was no real opportunity to show off your own car.
The runs were split into two sessions, the first from 10 'till 1 and the second from 2 'till 'close' which turned out to be 4pm, yet the price was the same for both runs. This meant those who paid for the morning run got 3 hours playtime whereas those for the afternoon only got 2 hours and at half an hour plus per run that meant a max of 4 runs if you were prepared to spend all the time queuing. Thus I never got to see Foggy go up the hill and didn't get to see me as there was no time to take a break and go and spectate.
The cars that did turn up to the show were 'Barried' too much for my tastes. There were a few retro cars there, but it was more of a 'chav cruze' and 'Max Power' meet than a meet of retro cars. Maybe that's just me misunderstanding the point of the day, but it wasn't my thing and there's a limit to how much slamming, tyre stretching, rat look sticker covered cars I can take. There were also a few too many VW's there too, probably something in the region of 35% of all attendees. It felt to me that it was a bunch of people who couldn't afford a newer hot hatch so bought an older cheap car and chavved that up instead. If you'd given them all £20k to spend I reckon you'd have had a field full of Evos, Scoobs and Type R's.
Finally, and this I think was a unique experience to me, but I didn't find the day that friendly - even to the extent of getting abuse and sneers from some people (not Foggy, Steve et al as they always give me abuse!) for bringing the Merc - things like 'what did you bring that overweight barge for?' and 'That's not suitable for bringing to a hillclimb'. I thought the point was to bring an older, not quite classic car and have fun. If that's the attitude of the typical participant at these gatherings then obviously these gatherings are not for me!

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my age, maybe it's just my outlook on life, but I won't be going next year as the only bits I did enjoy are those I can get at any number of other meets.
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 22 Aug 2011 07:29 pm

Speedy88 wrote:Good stuff! Loved it. I've got pics and videos. Here's a teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6e0QF1Wmh8

go sceney go!

car sounds awesome dude.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 22 Aug 2011 08:09 pm

I am gutted I didnt go, my best mate went up in his 190e, so I have no clue why I didn't. Although it id break down... lol!

That 850 is awsome, he's on a local car forum, guys supercharged a fiat brava before :P

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 22 Aug 2011 08:57 pm

V6 Man wrote:'Twas a good day out in general and it's always good to meet up with the usual suspects (Farrell, Thhhhpayynetah, Foggy, Sceney, Sammy and the Geordies in this case). It was also great fun to hammer up the hill, even if it wasn't competitive.

However....

I won't being going next year even if they do hold it in the same place. The only parts I did enjoy were those mentioned above, the rest was pants in my opinion.

If you had a stand you were in the main arena area and got all the attention, if you just turned up to participate you were shunted off to a side area and parked 'off stage' as it were so there was no real opportunity to show off your own car.
The runs were split into two sessions, the first from 10 'till 1 and the second from 2 'till 'close' which turned out to be 4pm, yet the price was the same for both runs. This meant those who paid for the morning run got 3 hours playtime whereas those for the afternoon only got 2 hours and at half an hour plus per run that meant a max of 4 runs if you were prepared to spend all the time queuing. Thus I never got to see Foggy go up the hill and didn't get to see me as there was no time to take a break and go and spectate.
The cars that did turn up to the show were 'Barried' too much for my tastes. There were a few retro cars there, but it was more of a 'chav cruze' and 'Max Power' meet than a meet of retro cars. Maybe that's just me misunderstanding the point of the day, but it wasn't my thing and there's a limit to how much slamming, tyre stretching, rat look sticker covered cars I can take. There were also a few too many VW's there too, probably something in the region of 35% of all attendees. It felt to me that it was a bunch of people who couldn't afford a newer hot hatch so bought an older cheap car and chavved that up instead. If you'd given them all £20k to spend I reckon you'd have had a field full of Evos, Scoobs and Type R's.
Finally, and this I think was a unique experience to me, but I didn't find the day that friendly - even to the extent of getting abuse and sneers from some people (not Foggy, Steve et al as they always give me abuse!) for bringing the Merc - things like 'what did you bring that overweight barge for?' and 'That's not suitable for bringing to a hillclimb'. I thought the point was to bring an older, not quite classic car and have fun. If that's the attitude of the typical participant at these gatherings then obviously these gatherings are not for me!

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my age, maybe it's just my outlook on life, but I won't be going next year as the only bits I did enjoy are those I can get at any number of other meets.
Sounds like you were talking to the wrong people. There were a lot of rat luk y0 people there sure, but I mostly ignored them and spent most of the day chatting to the A52 guys. For me the day was full of different tastes which I found I could appreciate most of. I'd have liked to see more Muscle but there you go, can't please em all. As for your Merc, I heard several people in the crowd say things like "that looks like fun" and "nice to see something like that go up the hill". So like I say, sounds like you might have been unlucky.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 22 Aug 2011 09:19 pm

SNIP
It felt to me that it was a bunch of people who couldn't afford a newer hot hatch so bought an older cheap car and chavved that up instead. If you'd given them all £20k to spend I reckon you'd have had a field full of Evos, Scoobs and Ts.ype R'
SNIP

I agree, I didnt go but I feel that about 30% of RR is just quiet frankly shit cars. I dont mind people have a shit car, but not when they make it shitter and show it off :/
Last edited by Evoman on 22 Aug 2011 09:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 22 Aug 2011 09:31 pm

Each to their own I guess. I quite like the rat look, just because it's a little silly. I'd never do it on purpose to a car I'd own though. There is definite;y too much "Scene" stuff going on, but again, let them do what they like. Some people think the 300 series is shit, but meh. I do get a little angry with the dubbers sometimes though, just because nothing is cool unless it's a slammed VW with a lot of them. Nothings really different, and I find it too "LOOK AT ME I'M COOL" for my liking. But, I still think they do a good job of making them look good!

Anyway, still gutted I missed the show, as it would have been awesome to go to, and tear up the track. Liking the pics Theo, good ol' rear beam suspension on show from your car :lol: and speedy's vid is wicked. That and the shot of it going up the hill, saweeet!! Talk about leanage though! :lol: But i do miss soft suspension, definitely around Bristol's roads.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 22 Aug 2011 09:55 pm

I would only express my dislike for those cars here, I am not going to say to them and cause arguements haha! Like you say each to there own, I just dont like it :P

I am still pissed off i didnt go, i thought looking at pictures would make for it...

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 22 Aug 2011 10:25 pm

A good day was had! Although a little annoying the comments that Rupert had - I must admit I don't atall think it was a reflection on everyone though and as Speedy says just the wrong people to come across. We did speak to a First Gen Civic enthusiast who was the total polar opposite, enthusiastic, fun and a little bit mad :D

My pics are here, very difficult to get decent track shots with the sun being so bright but oh well!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spainter/s ... 370316963/

Here are a selection

First Gen Civics, the striped one was truly immaculate

Speedy's 340

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spainter/6 ... 7370316963
Video of Speedy launching up the hill

Foggy's 343 and Pete's 340 Vario

Foggy thinks it's a great idea to put an M90 gearbox in the boot before going up the hill for reasons unbeknown to us?!

This beauty (excuse my ignorance as I have no idea what it is) had a T5 engine fitted

One of my favourite cars of the day, Volvo 144 DL

Rupert's pimp Merc on the track

Foggy's 343 on track

Video of the 343 up the hill
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spainter/6 ... 7370316963

A bit of tinkering on John's car to try and solve the curious running issue he's having - the facial expression says it all! (hope you got back up't North alright mate!)
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 22 Aug 2011 10:26 pm

Speedy88 wrote:As for your Merc, I heard several people in the crowd say things like "that looks like fun" and "nice to see something like that go up the hill". So like I say, sounds like you might have been unlucky.
I am actually very glad to hear that. I did get a few comments from people who were appreciative of the car, but it was only a few - 2 from staff and I think 2 from visitors. As I said I got 2 rude and offensive comments so from a strictly personal viewpoint I was a tad pissed off with the lack of enthusiasm.

It's not that I want 'mad props, yo' for having the car, it's more that I don't want abuse for it. Every time I've been Nancy American Straight Line Racing (1/4 mile drag strip as described by Chris C) everyone is glad to see you regardless of what you bring. I've taken a 760, a 960 and the Merc to Santa Pod and each time received positive comments for turning up and having a go, as have people with 1.2l Corsas and Fiestas. It seems that the drag race community appreciate everyone regardless of whether they run a 8 sec quarter or a 24 sec quarter and that the whole point is to have fun regardless of what you are in, whereas yesterday I detected a hell of a lot of snobbery towards those who weren't 'scene'. Having said that, maybe I am over-reacting and was just unlucky in meeting those people.
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.