2012 national event - North Yorkshire - 1st and 2nd Sept!

Volvo 300 Mania meetings dates and events
Speedy88

Re: 2012 national event - North Yorkshire - 1st and 2nd Sept

Post by Speedy88 » 06 Sep 2012 04:49 pm

Glad you guys had fun. If anyone is interested, this is why I couldn't come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUXoIF8 ... ature=plcp
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

mattywatsit

Post by mattywatsit » 06 Sep 2012 08:04 pm

Here we go, 45 photographs for you all :)

They aren't the best I am aware...

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/ ... UK%20Meet/

Matt. :360:

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 06 Sep 2012 08:44 pm

Hi Matt.
Great pictures you took. Much better than mine.

Speedy. That looked like a fun day out.
Cheers Mark.
sm4 sm4 sm4

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 07 Sep 2012 07:48 pm

There is one picture I left out... out of kindness.

But that's not really V3M spirit is it ;)

'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 07 Sep 2012 11:51 pm

Right, where do I start? I know, let's try the beginning.....

I received a phone call at about 3pm on Friday afternoon from a certain distrait ChrisC stating that Fake had failed her MOT as he'd forgotten that the new MOT regs required rear doors that actually open (fancy that!).This meant he had to use alternative means of transport to make the trip up to my house where he was going to spend the night. Shortly after 10pm a rusty silled, lacquer peeled, automatic Vauxhall Coarse arrived on my drive containing the aforementioned Chris. During the consumption of a small libation it was decided that he'd leave the Coarse behind and accompany me in my Mercedes 500SEC
for the weekend. Having set the world to rights, and moaned about Foggy and his super organisation skills we eventually retired to the land of nod at about 2am.
8.30am saw Chris awakened by the smell of cooking bacon (it may have been the sound of the bacon/fire alarm, but hey ho...) and after a leisurely breakfast we chucked our overnight bags in the Merc and prepared for departure at 10am so we'd make Wetherby services for about 11.30. Ah, we have a small problem; petrol seems to be escaping from the union between the fuel pump and the fuel line, balls! It seems that after a failed attempt to change the fuel filter earlier that week (the cradle wouldn't undo) I'd dislodged the fuel line. Various spanner shaped objects were duly found and applied to the join in order to get it sealed, but alas to no avail. We were about to empty the Merc and jump in my S80 when we had a final attempt to get it to seal by removing the pipe completely and refitting it. Luckily this worked so we finally left at 10.30. We managed to overtake a Pettaw shaped object in his 360GLT saloon on the way up, slowed down to wave before demonstrating the superior German engineering, and roared off finally arriving at Wetherby at 11.55, just in time to play 'Hunt the other participants'. The services were somewhat busy but it didn't take long to spot a smart looking 360GLS complete with Leo's, spoiler and louvre - aha, we've found the Huddleston! No, we've only found his car. Chris set off on foot to scour the car park whilst I waited by Mark's and my cars. Andy (pettaw) rolled in and parked next to us and we had the makings of a meet. Luckily Chris had found a Mac, Debbie and Foggy lurking so they came and joined us. A few minutes later Helldriver (yet another Andy) rolled up in his 360GLS and after visits to toilets/shops etc we were ready to roll, Chris taking over the driving of the Sonderklasse Einspritz Coupe.
We were off, and the 2012 300 Series National Weekend was underway! A short drive (40mins or so) took us to Sutton Bank National Park Centre where we met up with Nimminz in his Mitsubishi Lancer, Mattywhatsit and his father in his 360GLT and Sion in his new S60. On the steep climb up Sutton Bank Chris and I both noticed a funny smell and couldn't work out where it was coming from. We were slightly concerned it could have been the Merc as it hadn't changed down to first on the steepest part as we expected, but just lugged its way up in 2nd. However, a lift of bonnet, peer underneath and all round check didn't reveal anything amiss so we shrugged our shoulders and carried on. In the car park at the top the smell was noticed by others and a frantic checking of cars ensued given it was a very steep hill and most of the cars weren't in the first flush of youth. Thankfully all of the older cars were fine, but it seemed that the smell was coming from the newest car there, Mac and Debbie's XC70. Furthermore it seemed to be coming from the exhaust and it was soon realised that it must have been the DPF regeneration taking place due to the high revs and high temps attained on the climb. Thank God for modern, clean cars, eh?
Foggy then handed out copies of his proposed route and with his words of 'take it at your own pace, do your own thing and we'll meet at the pub/campsite between 4 and 5pm' ringing in our ears we duly left the car park. Foggy shot off, closely followed by Mark (MCHUDD) and then Chris and I (myself behind the wheel). Foggy and Mark soon disappeared into the distance whilst I held back to allow the others to catch up. Matt (Nimminz) got bored so headed off in hot pursuit of Foggy and Mark whilst I led the two Andys along at a sedate pace to allow Mac and Sion to catch up. However it soon became apparent that my bonnet
wasn't shut properly so I pulled over to close it and to wait for the others. It was at this point it was decided that as we'd not had lunch yet we'd 'do our own thing' and find somewhere to eat. Having ascertained that Mac and Sion had 'done their own thing' and turned off earlier the two Andys, Chris and I went in search of a pub which we duly found. After I was on the receiving end of an all too brief, but welcome, molesting from the bar staff we set about consuming food. It was just as we were leaving that Chris received a phone call from Foggy asking where we were.It seems he had been unable to follow his own instructions and managed to get lost!! We decided to cut out part of his route and take our own variation to get us to the final meeting point at the pub/campsite so headed off for an enjoyable but leisurely drive across the moors. This was largely uneventfull but we did notice that the sheep were somewhat wary about crossing the road with a Panzerwagen bearing down on them so elected to wait until I'd gone by and test Pettaw's brakes instead! This happened several times and prompted Chris and I to wonder if Andy was secreting some kind of sheep attracting pheromone.
Shortly after one of the local villages we spotted an attractive narrow stone pedestrian bridge nestling in a very secluded small valley so a stop was made for further investigation. It was at this time that another phone call was received asking where the hell we were as everyone else had made it bar us. Despite there being plenty of time to make the 4-5pm deadline we reluctantly cut our game of Poohsticks short and headed off to join the others, arriving at an acceptable 4.45pm. We eventually rolled into the car park to find we had been joined by Filthyjohn in Mac's old 940 'Barge'. After a short period setting up tents or checking into rooms we all gathered in the bar for some light refreshment. Conversation soon turned to the matter of the day's proceedings and various phrases like "Foggy couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery" or "would have difficulting arranging an orgy in a brothel" and "Foggy couldn't run a bath" were heard bandied around accompanied by much merriment. Foggy seemed strangely unconcerned by the hammering his reputation was getting and seemed more intent on looking out of the window at wildlife - at least, that's what I think he was doing judging by his frequent cries of "oh look, a squirrel!" At the alloted hour we all piled into Sion's, Foggy's and Mac's cars to head for our evening meal in Whitby which was a very good helping of Fish & Chips down by the quayside. Andy (Helldriver) drove himself as he was heading home that night and duly departed after the meal. The rest of us elected to go back to the pub for further drinks and conversation, but Chris seemed strangely intent on staying in Whitby. This may have had something to do with the large crowd of scantily clad young ladies we met as we exited the restaurant who were heading for the next door nightclub........ Back at the pub much waffling was spouted before Mac and Debbie headed off to their hotel and the rest of us headed off to our rooms/tents/cars for some kip.

The next day the dawn was a brilliant firey red, and I wandered throught the weird and lurid landscape of another planet..... Blast! That's what listening to War of the Worlds as I type does for you!

The next day saw those who wanted it meeting for breakfast at 9am. However, it was soon noticed that Mark was missing. After investigation it turned out that Mark had suffered a catastrophic alarm clock failure, but it was soon solved by the act of Foggy hammering on his door. Following a splendid cooked breakfast we all (execpt for Sion and Oliver who had to head home) piled into our cars for the trip to Goathland and the North York Moors Railway where we were joined by the rest of the previous days participants, plus Andy H's wife and son, Pete Smithurst's very tidy 164 and Julian's smart 745Tic. It was decided that we'd only do a return to Pickering and back and not go through to Grosmont on the return as this would give us time for lunch so we all duly piled on the 10.50 Southbound (or 'up' in railway terms) service hauled by Gresley A4 pacific 60007 'Sir Nigel Gresley'. It soon became obvious to those of us with an ear for such things that 'Nige' was running about as well as any one of Foggy's cars. She was effectively 'missing' on one cylinder and this was later confirmed by the traincrew. It didn't matter as this lack of power meant she had to work a bit harder on the steep banks of the line resulting in more noise and soot covered heads for those who had their heads out of the windows.
Following our arrival back in Goathland we invaded the local pub for a spot of lunch and had an agreeable meal in the pub garden where Andy (pettaw) treated us to a practical display of 101 ways to severely annoy wasps. Lunch was followed a bout of retail therapy for the girls (who had clicked that there were craft stalls and souvenir shops) while the rst of us di what men do when women do such things (mooch about aimlessly mainly) This was followed by a convoy of cars across the moors where, again, Andy P showed the effects of his new cologne 'Attraction, pour mouton'. Arriving in the small town of Thornton le Dale to visit the Motor Museum, Foggy, in yet another stunning display of how to follow his own directions, got lost again and the residents were treated to the sight of all of us doing 'U'-turns down a narrow sidestreet! the museum, although small, contained a fairly eclectic collection of cars and memorabilia that kept us occupied for a bit before we all headed to the local pub for late afternoon drinkies. Andy (helldriver) and family decided to head off to the coast as they'd promised Jack a look at the sea, and shortly afterwards Pete, Julian, Mattywhatsit and father had to leave so goodbyes wre duly bade and the remaining stalwarts retired inside the pub for dinner. Another excellent meal was had (a common theme to the weekend) during which we discussed various items including next years meet. Planning has already started on this (don't worry, Foggy isn't involved so something may actually happen!!) and hopefully we should start to have some details soon. At about 9pm it was decided to call time on an excellent weekend and we all went our seperate ways home. As a postscript it should be noted that Chris and I followed Andy (pettaw) to pickering and down to Malton where, for some strange reason Andy turned left and headed off to scarborough on the A64. We turned right and headed towards York and thence the A1 south and it was not long after we'd joined the A1 that, whilst loping along at a steady 70mph, we were comprehensively overtaken by a fast moving 360GLT saloon driven by a now navigationally sound Andy! Arrival back in Belper was at 11pm where more waffle was spouted before retirng for the night and so ending a memorable weekend.

I'd just like to say thanks to all who attended, to Mac for his generosity, Chris for doing much of the driving allowing me to have a small fermented vegetable juice or two, and, despite all the nagging, mickey taking and insulting we gave him, Foggy who, albeit late in the day, managed to organise a truly great event.

Thanks all!!
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 09 Sep 2012 11:05 am

Fantastic write up... the 101 ways to annoy wasps must've been entertaining :lol: :D
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 09 Sep 2012 10:27 pm

Everybody else has posted their stories that I can't really add to, apart from to say that I had a great time and here are my pics. I don't have too many because I was mainly camcorder in hand.

Video is being edited and I should, with a bit of luck have a video ready later tonight.

Pics:

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 10 Sep 2012 06:21 am

Video is uploaded to Youtube.

With many thanks to Rupert (v6man) and Chris (Chris_C) for their help filming.

http://youtu.be/AUCWjAxj6i4

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 10 Sep 2012 01:40 pm

Bloody Hell Andy, you want to be careful - it looks like you're turning into Farrell with all that sneaky camera work!
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 10 Sep 2012 03:30 pm

Hi all.
Great vidio. That museum was great.
It was dead weird seeing a workshop manual in a museum
for your daily driver :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 10 Sep 2012 03:35 pm

Great filming and editing!
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

mattywatsit

Post by mattywatsit » 10 Sep 2012 05:59 pm

That's a good video that Andy! Im glad I managed to duck out of most of it! haha :P

Good write up also Rupert, although I spot a few mistakes :wink: :D

I hope we can get more 300 series in attendance next year :D

:360:

Dan

Post by Dan » 22 Sep 2012 12:26 am

so fucked off i missed this....

i have a dream... a dream of a weekend not spent underneath a car
a weekend when no nuts and bolts are added to my toolbox
no pushing a car home in the rain

one day perhaps my dream will come true

or mabe im just insane