A weekend in Germany (AKA Operation 66 pt 3)

Volvo 300 Mania meetings dates and events
petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

A weekend in Germany (AKA Operation 66 pt 3)

Post by petefarrell360 » 01 May 2008 02:20 am

DAF Delivery Part 3 – Germany

On Friday 25th April, Andy and myself picked up a hire trailer and headed up to Lincoln towing it with my 850 T5 to meet Foggy, where a DAF 66 Coupe was loaded onto it, the boot of the 850 was filled with an engine, CVT drive units and other items and Foggy’s S70 saloon was also loaded up with parts. Andy and myself set off for Folkestone and Foggy made a detour to collect Rupert on route. We were indeed heading for the Channel Tunnel in order to drive to Germany.

Benny, to say he’s a DAF enthusiast is an understatement to say the least, (he and Marcus have one hell of a collection between them!) bought this DAF unseen on Ebay, as it has some pretty rare alloys and other parts, so then got onto his UK transport agent, Herr Foggy, in order for him to house the DAF until he could take it to Germany!

Andy and myself stopped off here at the services on the M20.

Then Foggy and Rupert arrived in the S70, which was wearing the newly refurbed pimptastic rims.

We then continued on to catch the Eurotunnel train to Calais, where the Police chap on security was told by his superior to take a closer look at our load and what the trip was all about! He was a top bloke, but had to take down all the details and check the car over.

We then got on the 02:00 train on Saturday morning and we were in France 35 mins later. So at 04:00 local time we were in the French services fitting the head light beam deflectors to the T5 and ready to roll on the over night/early morning trip across France, Belgium and Holland into Germany. With Rupert at the wheel of the T5 plus trailer and DAF, and James driving his S70 we set off.

This bloody idiot in a DAF 66 Coupe tailgated us all the way there, we could not shake him off!

Stopping off for fuel once it was light we found this Volvo lorry had nearly got it right, a little to the left and on top of of the Polo please…….

Then, something never witnessed before, and certainly never captured on camera, something heard of in old tales and legends, Foggy filled up with petrol, in a petrol station, not from a green can roadside!

We continued on across Europe, only stopping for fuel or a very quick stretch of the legs, we were planning on stopping for breakfast on route, but never found the right place, and McDonalds was shut!

Not far from our destination a certain driver managed to set off a speed camera, with the DAF on the trailer, which was entertaining! By about 11 am we were in Sundern Germany and met Benny and Marcus to unload the DAF.

Binding brakes on the DAF made for a controlled decent from the trailer on the winch and we then pushed it down the slope to be parked.

It was here that a German bird took a dislike to James and deposited a dropping or two from a great height making a direct hit on this British chap!

The 850 and S70.

After this we left to go for a very quick visit to the Sorpesee Dam, and after some of the bikers cleared we had a fantastic lunch and a beer overlooking the dam.
Three dodgy British characters, Rupert, Andy and James at the Sorpesee Dam.

There has to be a before and after caption for these two pictures…… we believe Foggy has just broken wind.

Then at sometime after 15:00 we arrived at Benny’s house and his wife Nicole had prepared a feast of cake and coffee/tea. Here we met Marcus’s wife and son and using Benny as a translator most of the time, we got to know each other! It was here that Rupert and myself managed to recall some of the German we had been taught at school and managed to communicate in broken sentences and words! It’s amazing at what being immersed in the language can do for your memory! During this time Benny told us about a Volvo 240 he had that wasn’t running quite right.

So after coffee/tea and cake we took a look at it.
The timing was out and the flywheel needed repositioning, some bright spark decided we could have the gearbox out in no time…….. some muppet had put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car though, making getting at the starter motor bolts quite interesting. Out came my tool kit from the car and the job was started!
A novel way to support the gearbox before it was removed was employed and this was the result.
Rupert did a quick scrapheap challenge crossed with ‘Pimp my Ride’ and within one minute had made a custom exhaust system for the 240, gaining an estimated 50 bhp!!!
The 240 was tested and deemed to be a success, and many bits including a gearbox were left for Benny and Marcus to reassemble at their leisure.

Then the speedy Big Dog went for a gangster lean in a Volvo 66.

We then followed Benny to our accommodation, for a quick clean up and rest. Foggy’s S70 was having trouble keeping up with the nippy little DAF, it seemed to corner like a go kart, and the 1300 cc engine coupled to the CVT transmission made it perfectly suited to the roads.

Later we all met again for Pizza and wine in Sundern, an excellent evening was had by all and we retired to our accommodation.
This was the view from our room the next morning.
Set in a valley, we could hear the trickle of water, smell the fresh air and take in the wonderful scenery.
The S70 parked outside the hotel.

When we knocked on the door of Rupert and Foggy’s room there was no answer, then a bleary eyed James came to the door in a pitch black room, shocked to see us, they’d forgotten to adjust their alarms to local time, so were an hour behind! The continental breakfast was certainly welcome.

We then called by at Benny’s to collect the T5 and trailer and Foggy was presented with a parcel. With a huge grin Foggy opened his Momo box to find a brand new steering wheel!
A last chat as we looked over a large number of CVT drive units in the back of the truck.
Benny’s speedy little 66. (Foggy, you’ve been spotted!)
We said goodbye to our German friends and made our way home.

Me at the wheel.
Andy and myself in the T5.

Rupert’s feet started to emit a strong smell and air cooling was required.
This however wasn’t sufficient, and a rather more drastic approach was taken, whereby he was banished from the vehicle altogether and the rear of the trailer was the best place for him for maximum air flow!

We had a quick stop in a Beligum services, a very nice meal was eaten, drivers swapped and we continued on our way. When we arrived at the French hyper market Cite Europe, we found they couldn’t be bothered to open on a Sunday, so had some time to kill.
Who knows quite what James is inspecting here!
Or what they’ve lost in here?
The 850 T5 and the S70 side by side.
Rupert decided to check the information on the plate on the trailer, Brian James Trailers had failed to fit this the correct way up, so Foggy took this opportunity to dish out a swift kick up the arse.

We then got on the 20:50 train home on the Sunday night. The T5 on the train.
On leaving the train the S70 left for Derby piloted by Foggy, and the 850 returned to the services we had all met in on Friday night/Sat morning to remove the beam deflectors, and then set off for Buckinghamshire.

I was home somewhere around midnight, after Andy collected his car from mine. Rupert was home somewhere around 23:45 and the other two not long after.

In total the T5 covered 1176 miles, averaging 24.9 miles to the gallon, despite some uber hoonage and Rupert enjoying himself far too much for his own good!

A fantastic trip, some remarkable sights, excellent food, brilliant company and much mickey taking and fun was had!
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 01 May 2008 07:35 am

great pics as usual Pete ,

one thing though ,

why didnt you guys put the S70 on the empty trailer for the return trip ?,

would have saved you some fuel , could have had more driver changes and personally I always prefer to tow a loaded trailer than an empty one ,

or was it because of the weight of the S70 ?

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 01 May 2008 09:05 am

Excellent pics, Pete.... looks like a laugh! I practically laughed out loud at Rupert and the gangster lean pictures! :lol:

I'd expect the S70 and trailer to be over the towing limit.
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 01 May 2008 09:40 am

The gangsta lean and the blearry drinking orange juice ;) Glad you had a good time guys, sorry I couldn't make it though, looks awesome scenary.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 01 May 2008 01:47 pm

It was discussed a couple of times towing the S70 back, or certainly to come back on the train to save a fare. Foggy had worked out however that it was cheaper to buy a return ticket for both cars than one for the trailer and a single out for the S70 due to the deal that we managed to get. Also it would be a bit of faffing around, and Foggy seemed to be enjoying himself driving anyway!

I remember Steve saying he would definitely make the next Eurotrip, two trips ago! Come on mate, you'd love it! And Chris, shame you couldn't make it mate, next time we go I'd hope you'll both be there.

Pete

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 01 May 2008 01:50 pm

A case of bad timing and numerous car/work problems meant I really couldnt've made this trip, Pete :( Bloody 300's.. that is all ;)
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 01 May 2008 02:45 pm

Hahahaha, some great pics there Mr F. Some amusing, some flattering - some not so flattering..........

I can't wait for the video, but some of us may not want to see it.........
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 02 May 2008 12:07 am

Weak-ass excuse, Steve ;) I've yet to do the maths, but I think it worked out at less than £100 each.

An excellent time was had by all. Thanks for coming to help with the merry adventure, guys! I've got some pics too, but my hosting is still broken (must sort that out...it's been ages now), so I'll talk to Pete about him hosting them.

In other news....apologies for my recent absence, but I now have a working & MOT'd 343 :D Thanks to Andy for his telephone support the other day, helping me find where the hell they hid the idle mixture screw on an early B14 carb! sm56

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 13 May 2008 11:29 pm

Glad to see the T5 is being used well. Excellent pics!

I miss that car's noise! :twisted:
Carl
Rover SD1 Vitesse (and no Volvos :()
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery

dafdaffer

Post by dafdaffer » 14 Jun 2008 10:32 pm

i am glad to see that that the Daf 66 has gone to a good home, i would have loved this car but already have too many projects on the go, well done mr foggy,

Paul

DOC

ps it would be great if some time in the future the daf ownes club and the volvo 340 mania could meet together!!

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 18 Jun 2008 12:35 am

Hi Paul,

It's like with 300s - too many cars, and not enough good homes. I'm not sure if you know Benny and Marcus of the German DAF club, but they're really nice guys, and have some great facillities.

It would indeed be great to have a common meet. I'm supposed to be organising a 300 series 'national event' as part of my duty as 300 series register keeper...and it would be ideal to join forces with the DAF club both on the grounds of sharing the organisation, and boosting numbers. I was provisionally thinking of somewhere like the Crich tramway museum. What dya think?

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

shimon340

Post by shimon340 » 18 Jun 2008 11:15 am

hello

I think a joint meet with the Daf club and V3m, VOC would be great.

Dya want the contact details of the Daf Club UK president/ chairman (whatever the title is...) my Dad knows him well!

Shimon
Enjoy your 300s

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 18 Jun 2008 04:37 pm

I think a joint meet would be great, as the two are so closely related, with the project coming from the DAF and the variomatic system. They're interesting little cars the DAFs and very impressive.

Benny and Marcus are indeed great guys and have an incredible collection. That DAF has certainly gone to a good home! It's like James says, too many cars, not enough good homes. I dread to think how many really nice sound cars have either been scrapped or wrecked due to the wrong people owning them, but at the end of the day, it's their property and we can't save them all. We've just got to between us do what we can to make sure we've got spares and enough really good examples survive to keep us interested!

Pete

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 18 Jun 2008 07:12 pm

petefarrell360 wrote: We've just got to do what we can to make sure the video of the trip is actually made to keep us interested!

Pete
Fixed....... sm39
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 20 Jun 2008 03:25 am

:lol: Calm down Herr Rupert, I'm currently working on a desk for the office so I have an editting suite to perfect the video! I will get there one day, I'll let you know which year! :P