Cabin air filter: DIY for dummies

Various, various and more various!
José_Manuel

Cabin air filter: DIY for dummies

Post by José_Manuel » 01 Sep 2010 11:46 pm

This is a stupid yet interesing DIY. I got the idea of a cabin air filter due to the great amount of trucks I use to find on Spanish roads, and the horrible smell of burnt diesel gases.

The idea is very simple: You just need something to support the filter, and obviously, something to filter.

For supporting the filter I used some kind of metallic fence; the only thing is to adjust it to the shape of the cabin air intake. I bought it in a hardware store for 2€ a meter (I couldn't buy less than one). Here some photos of the metallic support:

And finally, here we have the filter. Is some kind of kitchen smoke extractor filter I also bought in the hardware store; It cost about 4€ and the filter was about 1.5 square meters of material. I use two layers to increase the effect; I've tried with three layers and it also works fine, without any noticeable power loss.

Is not the greatest DIY project, but I think is very cheap, useful and easy to build. Thanks for reading; if you want more photos or details, just ask :D .

340pw :360:
1989 Volvo 360 GLE Injection

My restoration:
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... =2&t=14718

volvodspec

Re: Cabin air filter: DIY for dummies

Post by volvodspec » 02 Sep 2010 03:45 pm

only downside to this kind of filter is what happens with it when it rains.

if you remove the heater you'll see that there allready is a "filter" mesh; if they haven't replaced it yet it wil be porous/breaking apart but that's where you can place a new filter wich will last longer

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 02 Sep 2010 10:34 pm

volvodspec wrote:only downside to this kind of filter is what happens with it when it rains.

if you remove the heater you'll see that there allready is a "filter" mesh; if they haven't replaced it yet it wil be porous/breaking apart but that's where you can place a new filter wich will last longer
Or install snowcap :D

This is very useful filter, but note one thing, when you increase resistance in that place where you install filter, there is water drainage hole below, where fan may take some air, of course it is less polluted, but to further improve design one could try to install it just before fan blades, it might be bit more difficult however, but should be possible.

Anyway any filter is better than without one and these days there are way too many lorries on roads making air very bad for your health, so some kind of filter is great.

If you would like to get rid of bad odors too, then you could put one sheet of active carbon filter there and it would trap bad smells too, like you find in expensive cars. Also using HEPA 2 filter from vacuum cleaner can give lot of help for those who suffer from pollen allergy.

Also good filters that one can use might be those used in expensive air purifiers, filters should not be very expensive themselfs, even machines are.

I think this is great idea and everyone using his car daily should consider this as lorry exhaust causes cancer because of those small particles or so they claim.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

José_Manuel

Post by José_Manuel » 03 Sep 2010 05:03 pm

Thanks for your help; I didn't know about that existing filter and then I built this one; I'll try to find it and post some pictures if I succeed. I will also try to change the material for something more 'professional'

Thanks for your opinions! :360:
1989 Volvo 360 GLE Injection

My restoration:
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... =2&t=14718

2 Fast 4 U

Post by 2 Fast 4 U » 03 Sep 2010 05:31 pm

It's a nice DIY, good to keep the dust out but it will not keep the smell from a diesel exhaust out of the car, in order to do that you would have to install a filter with active charcoal, the coal will absorb the smell and other stuff.

Understeer: The front of the car hits the wall,
Oversteer: The rear of the car hits the wall,
Horsepower: How fast the car hits the wall,
Torque: How far the car pushes the wall.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 03 Sep 2010 06:43 pm

2 Fast 4 U wrote:It's a nice DIY, good to keep the dust out but it will not keep the smell from a diesel exhaust out of the car, in order to do that you would have to install a filter with active charcoal, the coal will absorb the smell and other stuff.
jtbo wrote: If you would like to get rid of bad odors too, then you could put one sheet of active carbon filter there and it would trap bad smells too, like you find in expensive cars. Also using HEPA 2 filter from vacuum cleaner can give lot of help for those who suffer from pollen allergy.
Had bit wrong name for thing, but that coal/carbon thing :D

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 03 Sep 2010 09:16 pm

I installed a fresh air filter from some Peugeot on the same location. It doesn't work as when it rains, the filter gets soaked and it doesn't let air through anymore. That's the case with the fresh air filters at least.. I have a snowcap, it doesn't prevent moisture getting through when it rains. So I ended up installing a fresh air filter in the place of the stock foam type filter inside the heater box. Works great.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 03 Sep 2010 09:55 pm

Fuse, you don't happen to have pic of location?

I think that there is no foam type of filter in my car, I can see fan blades and there is just a hole that contains heater matrix if I don't remember wrong. Was it before or after the fan (if you imagine how air travels) ?

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 03 Sep 2010 10:04 pm

after the fan!

you have to remove the entire housing (though this is only 2 screws and a nut) to see it.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 03 Sep 2010 10:29 pm

volvodspec wrote:after the fan!

you have to remove the entire housing (though this is only 2 screws and a nut) to see it.
Ah, then must investigate this at some point, luckily 360 is in a garage again so no trouble from the rain.

2 Fast 4 U

Post by 2 Fast 4 U » 03 Sep 2010 10:57 pm

Please be sure to make and post photo's

Understeer: The front of the car hits the wall,
Oversteer: The rear of the car hits the wall,
Horsepower: How fast the car hits the wall,
Torque: How far the car pushes the wall.

trabitom99
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by trabitom99 » 04 Sep 2010 06:44 am

If your car is fitted with the air recirculation system you should be able to see it (or at least feel it ) without removing the heater box. It's under the flap which gets sucked up with vaccuum to block air coming in from outside.

Cheers

Tom
343 GL Touring B14.1E CVT (155) 98000kms 1980 (sold)
343 L Junior B14.3E MT4 (155) 229000kms 1981 (scrapped)
343 DLS B19A MT4 (155) 167900kms 1982
360 GL Injection B200F MT5 (231) 348598kms 1988 (scrapped)
360 GLT B200F MT5 (302) 230000kms 1988

hdsims

Post by hdsims » 28 Apr 2011 10:59 am

Nice DIY for the cabin air filters . During my first replacement of it i got difficulty in finding it from my 2006 Volvo C70 and oh my god its just under the under the drivers side of the dash, to the right of the electronic throttle pedal, basically in the middle of the car.