last few bits

Various, various and more various!
samueljon

last few bits

Post by samueljon » 26 May 2011 12:46 pm

sorry to keep asking questions guys

few issues i have are:
no dash lights? (apart from the top row, non of the tacho or speedo light up)
i have 3 wires going to the alternator, 1st one is obvious the power, could only find one other push on connection?
the speed sensor plug goes into the plug by the fuse box?

jon-ovlov

Re: last few bits

Post by jon-ovlov » 26 May 2011 01:38 pm

When it stops raining I'll grab some pics.

On the alternator, there should only be one connector with 2 wires coming out of it, from the volvo loom. This connects to the plug on the alternator. Red and a blue wire. There are 3 other wires from the volvo loom to the alternator too. These have a different sized ring connections on the end, and are attached by a nut on threaded stud out of the back of the alternator. 2 attach to the smaller stud. One attaches to the larger stud. (you cant get the smaller ring connections on the bigger stud).
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 26 May 2011 02:05 pm

Pink wire from speed sensor in dash, through bulkhead to white and grey (striped) wire from loom.

Alternator (all wires from volvo loom):

Large red cable - Pos from battery - Large threaded stud
2 brownish looking wires with ring connectors - BOTH onto small threaded stud
Connector plug (red wire, and red/blue striped wire) to 2 pin connector on the alternator

Sorry for the poor quality pics, phone :roll:
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

samueljon

Post by samueljon » 26 May 2011 02:09 pm

pics are perfect jon thanks!

yours looks a little more profesianl than mine haha!

so speed sensor goes into the back of the dash??

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 26 May 2011 02:19 pm

Aye, have you not connected it yet? If you take the dash out, you have a plastic cover that says something begining with "g" on it. snap that off. It'll reveal a small part of the back of your speedo. Screw in the speed sensor to the back of that, and plug the wires in.

Did you buy Adam's one? or not? I'm using Adam's. Wire colours might be different . . .

Oh, and my wiring isnt as tidy as you might think. The LH side is a mess. Im gonna sort it, honest! :lol:
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

samueljon

Post by samueljon » 26 May 2011 02:32 pm

i have the speed cable in there which goes down to the wheel but not the sesor that comes off adams loom

mines neatly tucked into conduate but i havnt put fuses init :( maybe an issue

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 26 May 2011 02:48 pm

Adam suggested doing the fuses. Makes sense, as it'll save the ECU and pump from getting fried if anything happens.

The speed sensor tells the ECU when the car isnt moving, so idles properly. Without the speed sensor, after driving, it'll idle erratically or pretty high. So its not game over, just nasty to drive without one. I think one from a 400 series works. Located in the same place on the dash, so its easy to find and fits the same. otherwise, grab one off Adam, even comes with instructions. :D
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

samueljon

Post by samueljon » 26 May 2011 03:51 pm

aaaa im waitin on that part from adam.

i have the pump running through the original fuse box :) ;) i have my own fuel pump switch wired up... just so i can say ive got it pretty much haha!

so the cable on adams loom labeled "speed sensor" is for the speed sensor loom when that turns up (i know its not a loom but its another bunch of wires)

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 26 May 2011 04:14 pm

Nice! I just take the fuse out when I'm not using the car :wink: Would love to have a dash cut off switch though! Yes, the wire named speed sensor is for the speed sensor :lol:

It should come with instructions for instillation. If you get stuck gimme a shout. :)
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

samueljon

Post by samueljon » 26 May 2011 04:52 pm

it all makes sence now haha!
still need to get dash lights working though hmmmm

samueljon

Post by samueljon » 02 Jun 2011 09:09 am

when i plug the alternator in i get left with the battery light on the dash board? :(

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 02 Jun 2011 01:54 pm

No charge from the alternator then. that'll explain the dead battery issue.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.