Supercharged 360?

Various, various and more various!
D.J. Jonny Long

Supercharged 360?

Post by D.J. Jonny Long » 28 Jun 2005 04:22 am

I have an '85 360GLT and as most young people are, I'm in the search for more power. I could have done the whole 20B rotary conversion thing, but I have a spare Volvo Penta supercharger in the shed. Would it be worth throwing it on and trying it out? The supercharger is on an electric clutch the same as an air con compressor, but I may need a spare engine in case I blow this one up with the extra boost! :shock: P.S. Love the smileys!

cam740
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Supercharged 360?

Post by cam740 » 28 Jun 2005 07:45 am

D.J. Jonny Long wrote:I have an '85 360GLT and as most young people are, I'm in the search for more power. I could have done the whole 20B rotary conversion thing, but I have a spare Volvo Penta supercharger in the shed. Would it be worth throwing it on and trying it out? The supercharger is on an electric clutch the same as an air con compressor, but I may need a spare engine in case I blow this one up with the extra boost! :shock: P.S. Love the smileys!

dude what about a b230et???

there is a fair few of em around - even if you start of with an n/a engine then turbo it down the track!!!

20b huh???? hmm that'd be NASTY!! :twisted:

D.J. Jonny Long

Post by D.J. Jonny Long » 02 Jul 2005 09:24 am

I was trying to avoid any time consuming and headachey engine swaps, which is why my 20b is going in an old short wheel base rodeo. I just had this spare supercharger laying around and it's off a big 6 cylinder diesel. I'd probably run into a host of problems with it though.

huskyracer

Post by huskyracer » 04 Jul 2005 09:20 pm

Its a nice plan, I like your style! But I think the charger will be far too big for the engine, superchargers move a fixed volume of air, so if the engine doesn't flow it, it turns into boost, if you see what I mean!

Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf » 06 Jul 2005 07:43 am

It'd be way more expensive to get the legal side of a 20b conversion passed than a swap to another volvo engine, but i was suprised when i spoke to the engineer, apparently you can put up to 4 times the tare weight in cc's under the bonnet (1119*4= 4.4L engine) but i'm not that suicidal. Also one problem ppl have with rotaries... they tend get rather HOT, and even Hotter when worked, this is for NA rotaries, the 20b is also twin turbo'd, and a conversion to 20b would need a good cooling system also. That said ur rodeo will be nasty when done, If it been ported, also expect a pathetic fuel economy.
EVO360 - '85 360GLT (Retiring)
NXI44W - '95 MR2 Bathurst Edition
-1st (class) Kempsey Hillclimb
-1st (class) Grafton Hillclimb
-1st (Outright) Armidale
- Recieving a Worked Japanese GT Motor so i can kick but with the open wheelers and ferraris!!!

D.J. Jonny Long

Post by D.J. Jonny Long » 18 Jul 2005 10:48 am

Thanks Guys. All that said, I'll do some more research and put the supercharger back on the Penta (even though I don't use it) I still don't know which way I want to go with this car, Turbo 2.5L would have to be punchy enough I'd say, and that rear mount gearbox thing's gonna do my head in.

Hey, did these things ever come out with an LSD? ...I am losing the battle to not use a CIG locker, too illegal!

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 18 Jul 2005 11:54 am

LSD is very rare, there is pics from mine http://www.janiervast.com/kuvat/lsd/

I have not found anyone that can install it and I'm not doing it myself as I'm lacking skill and tools.

Must move somewhere where is bit more life than here....
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

drivesavolvo

Post by drivesavolvo » 21 Jul 2005 06:18 pm

The 360 did have a version that was turbo BUT it was only available in left hand drive as the turbo would be in the way of the right hand drive steering column.

The only way of doing it, i found, was to use the steering box from an old ford anglia and a few land rover links, combined with a bit of bending and welding.
After some considerable stress and hair loss the dog wouldnt come to me anymore. I finally managed to get the car up and running but every week i was removing the gearbox to replace the torque tube to gearbox clamp.

I had to settle for a renault 5 gordini turbo engine in a 1.7 340. Not as powerful as the 360 but loads of fun to drive.
Volvo drivers do it with safety in mind.
sakeje@onetel.com

all spares are low priced. just ask!

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 26 Jul 2005 05:49 pm

There was no official version with turbo from the factory. All turbo models sold new were converted by dealers.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

andoandco

Re: Supercharged 360?

Post by andoandco » 28 Dec 2016 05:16 pm

Hey team,

I know this is a delayed reply but I've just signed up here. I supercharged my 360 a couple of years ago using a supercharger off a Toyota crown engine which I believe is also 2 litre.

http://noriyaro.com/2011/10/driver-foll ... ercharger/

I ran it at 1.4 times speed and it made 5 pound of boost. Lots of fun. I just installed it in the same position as the air conditioning compressor and had to move the throttle to the inlet side of the blower. The only issue I had was tuning fuel as a I had an intermittent fault which may have been due to the electronic adjustment method I used to reduce fuel through the larger injectors. I used this unit.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... t-1&A=2418

I've been away from the car for a couple of years now and will likely start working on it again in the next month to make it more reliable with a more consistent tune. Aside from switching away from the L-Jet system, how have people tuned fuel settings for over 30% higher power outputs? I'm thinking I'll move down form the 310cc injectors to about 250cc then use a malpassi regulator and the L-jet flapper spring adjustment. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris