kNOCKING/RATTLING NOISES

Various, various and more various!
CLANSMAN63

kNOCKING/RATTLING NOISES

Post by CLANSMAN63 » 02 Sep 2004 01:33 pm

Hello all
I have owned a 1991 Volvo 340 GL for 3 years. In the last year I have heard knocking/rattling noises coming from the right rear side and it usually occurs when travelling slowly over speed humps or rough roads. It is particularly noticeable when there are passengers sitting in the back seat.
I've cleared everything out of the boot checked for worn bearings etc. The car has just passed the MOT without this problem coming to light. Mechanics say just live with it as it's not dangerous!

The car's great other than for this problem which although I've grown used to it, it can still be annoying to other passengers

Can anyone help ??!!!

Regards
Clansman63

5lab
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 5lab » 02 Sep 2004 01:39 pm

sounds like some sort of suspension problem, or maybe the driveshaft is rattling loose?
Siddy-'87 360 Glt lhd convertible
Swapsea-'89 360GLT-swapped!
Leah-'84 340GL-sold! Maisie-'85 340GL-sold!
Snowy-'88 360GLE-killed by a truck! Dougle-'89 360GLT-dead&stolen!
Nessy-'86 340GL-foggy's! Grace-'86 360GLT-gone!

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 02 Sep 2004 10:51 pm

Are you sure its the right side? I used to have a "clunking" noise, turned out to be whoever fitted the old exhaust didn't line it up, and you could see where it rubbed on the back skirt, but it only did it when I was loaded or people were in the back

CLANSMAN63

Post by CLANSMAN63 » 03 Sep 2004 02:28 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the replies so far. Its definateley not the exhaust. However I think as suggested by 5lab that it may be something linked to the suspension. I suspect this because yesterday I loaded several bags of tree bark into the back seat and boot. The noise when going over bumps was even louder than normal and fairly constant. So whilst the car was static and engine turned off I rocked the rear of the car up and down could hear similar sounds as to when driving. This suggests it may be the shocks any idea how much I should pay for a pair

Cheers
Clansman63

Janitor

Post by Janitor » 03 Sep 2004 06:14 pm

not much-it may only be the bushes/rubbers !! a pair of uprated gas shocks are £40 so a little less for normal ones. if you get time jack it up,take wheel off and check shockers. tell tale signs are leaking oil,have a look at the shaft-if its blue ,its overheated. check the bottoms mounts are ok then grab the shock and give it a good shake to see if anythings loose.your local auto shop should be able to get some monroes easily. if you have an andrew page motor factors nearby go there 1st as prices are good.
good luck

CLANSMAN63

Post by CLANSMAN63 » 03 Sep 2004 11:25 pm

Thanks Janitor, I'll take your advice and let you know how I get on
Regards

Clansman63

Janitor

Post by Janitor » 04 Sep 2004 04:28 pm

if you go here;

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/shock_absorber.php

Premium Shock Absorbers (Oil Filled)
Best value standard replacement shock absorbers with self-adjusting valving, available for most European cars.
Cost : £11.34 + vat

Excel-G Shock Absorbers (Gas Filled)
Standard replacement gas charged shock absorbers, offering an economical upgrade and available for most European cars.
Cost : £18.10 + vat

Gas-A-Just Shock Absorbers (Gas Filled)
High performance shock absorber with monotube high pressure gas construction, designed for high performance vehicles and 4x4s.
Cost : £20.80 + vat

this is assuming it is the shocks of coarse :mrgreen:
another thing it could be if shocks are ok is the bushes on a leaf spring !

kalyyyyyy

Re: kNOCKING/RATTLING NOISES

Post by kalyyyyyy » 15 May 2009 03:59 pm

I'll open up this topic again. I have almost the same problem as described above.The difference is that it's not the shockabsorbers. i changed both of them, i've checked the exhaust and the bushes from the leafsprings. MIne does the noise on both sides and only on potholes or when i have weight in the back.It makes the same noise when im in 2-nd or 3-rd gear at let's say 3000 rpm and i press the gas pedal suddenly. What could it be ?

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 15 May 2009 11:31 pm

Jacking point can bend and touch rear leaf spring and that causes such noise, check that there is lot of gap between that rear jacking point and leaf spring (jacking point is front of rear wheel, under the car, square tube kind of thing).
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

kalyyyyyy

Post by kalyyyyyy » 16 May 2009 05:46 am

I'll have a look at that, thanks.
If it's not the jacking points, could it be the halfshafts, given the fact that they have some play ?

kalyyyyyy

Post by kalyyyyyy » 18 May 2009 08:01 pm

I've fixed the jacking points. Apparently they were in the leafspring's way so i straitened them out. The noise is still there and has not diminished a bit. Help!

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 19 May 2009 11:12 am

kalyyyyyy wrote:I've fixed the jacking points. Apparently they were in the leafspring's way so i straitened them out. The noise is still there and has not diminished a bit. Help!
I can only guess, but exhaust's axle overpass and tracktion rod comes to my mind, tracktion rod is at right side of vehicle above rear axle, it connects axle to car body and helps to control axle twist/movement, it has rubber bushings and if those are worn it can make noise. Exhaust can hit rear axle when car is loaded and if exhaust hangs bit low, however in my car that is at left side of car.

I really don't know what kind of noises half shafts can make in 360, I just know that I have quite lot of play in mine and there is no noise.

Gearbox mountings, loose fuel tank mounting those can do all kind of noises, but I don't believe those to be a problem.

It is quite hard to pinpoint sound really without hearing, but hopefully some of those could be a reason, quite easy fixes them all.

kalyyyyyy

Post by kalyyyyyy » 19 May 2009 05:01 pm

The traction rod is the first thing i checked, being on the right side of the car and involved in suspension. Because i couldn't find a replacement at any auto shop and no junkyard has any 300's (on the romanian webside we 2 with 360 and 5 with 340 so very few cars in the country ) and i don't and will not use the car at any drifts or whatever i've cut the thing of so that is no more a problem.

The exhaust is recently checked/welded/replaced and is where it should be and with all the right conections to the body.

I'm interested in what you said about the gearbox mounting and loose fueltank. I have no ideea what to check at hte gearbox mounting except the visuat and and it looks at it's place, i also tried to lift the gearbox and it didn't seem to be loose from the rubermountings.
The fueltank is a mistery, i have no ideea how it's mounted ,where are the screws that should be checked.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 19 May 2009 08:02 pm

Fuel tank is different in 340, in 360 it is under the car, kidney shaped goes around gearbox, it has steel belts that hold it in place.

It might help to indentify problem if you can record sound?

kalyyyyyy

Post by kalyyyyyy » 19 May 2009 08:14 pm

I don't think i can record it ( don't have hi-tech recording equipment and the camera /taperecorder won't do the job, to much foreign noise). I can describe it though: it's very similar with the sound of a hammer hiting a steel block outside the car and it's coming from the wheel's direction.
I'll check the steel belts that hold the fueltank and as a last resort change the halfshaft with the spare one i already have. If that does not work i'll invest in bigger speakers.