uprated prop

Various, various and more various!
kesk

Post by kesk » 22 Apr 2008 04:25 pm

I had also often broken engine mountings. If I remember correctly, It was always in the same time as broken props.

Maybe I have a bigger problem somewhere in my car that is responsible for all the broken props.

I planed to invest some money in ma car in the near future. Now this makes me thoughtful. Maybe I should look for another Volvo 340 and keep mine just for spare parts.

I could make some sharp pictures with my old SLR camera and scan the images if that could help you to evaluate the position.

kesk

Post by kesk » 24 Apr 2008 12:22 am

Please excuse my bad English, but I am not sure if I correctly understand "everything is lined up" and "Line out your engine". :oops: Do you mean that my engine is not in line with my gearbox (in terms of a "geometric line")?

I have read this thread http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... php?t=6188 and the part about refitting the propshaft:
When refitting the propshaft DO NOT GREASE the splines and ensure the clamp bolts are tightened to 37Nm.
Why is it important to tighten the bolts to 37Nm? I don't use a torque wrench, I tighten them until the cleavage on the clamps is closed.

Are new props still available? And how much do they cost?

Thank you.

kesk

Post by kesk » 29 Apr 2008 07:06 pm

I want to apologize if I sounded rough. I would never ever intentionally harm my little Volvo.

I just bought the cheapest torque-wrench that I could find and measured my hand-tightening technique. And I was not so hard as I thought. It was about 40-41 Nm. And I think the cleavage on the clamps closes because there are almost no splines on the prop, but that endured for the last 30 tkm. And I think if the rubber did not damaged that would also endure for the next 30 tkm (but it's just my feeling).

I will now upgrade my front engine mountings from parts of a y. 1987 v340 (my is y. 1984). I have everything that I need for that, including the newer cross member. This newer engine mountings looks stronger then my current.

And I have heard that new props are still available. And they cost about 500 euro. I will now save my money for a new one in the hope that it will be the last one I need. :roll:

kaos

Post by kaos » 29 Apr 2008 07:17 pm

Just buy a decent second hand one! it'll be cheaper!

Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 29 Apr 2008 07:53 pm

I would just buy a second hand one, I know you have destroyed several but I think its because of another problem not the strength of the props. If thats the case then a new one will break just the same.
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

kesk

Post by kesk » 03 May 2008 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I have measured my power transmission and it really was not in line. But the problem was on the gearbox side. The gearbox shaft missed the clutch output shaft for about 3-4 cm.

To solve this i drilled a new set of holes for the bolts that hold the gearbox. this way I moved the front side of the gearbox about 1 cm to the left, and now it seems to be OK.

And here is a pic of my damaged rubber of the prop. This breaking line builds a full ring.