Drive shaft to hub bolts

Various, various and more various!
WooDooUK

Drive shaft to hub bolts

Post by WooDooUK » 22 Dec 2007 01:59 pm

Whilst in the process of removing the drive shaft from the hub in order to fit lowering blocks, i have managed to make a mess of the one of the bolts and compley round off the inside of it so i cant use an allan key to get it out :x :x :x

I have tried small wrenches but there is just enough room under the bolt to get it out.

I have tried to weld a Nut to the top of the bolt but because i cant get all the way round the nut i cant get enough weld on it and it keeps breaking (and i cant weld to save my life)

Has any one else ever done this or got any ideas?

bennett

Post by bennett » 22 Dec 2007 02:11 pm

hammer a larger allen key in to it.
thanks lee

Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 22 Dec 2007 03:55 pm

I dont know how much space there is, or what the bolt is like but can you stick a pair of mole grips onto it really tight and undo it (worked for my totally rounded exhaust heat shield bolts)

Best of luck

Jason
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

clitti

Post by clitti » 23 Dec 2007 07:28 pm

Try getting a torque drive socket (star shaped) that is a tight fit and welting it into your rounded allen bolt hole.Make sure its a real tight fit though otherwise it will round too.Its always worked for me in the past.Good luck.
Gad i ganu.....?

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 29 Dec 2007 02:02 pm

Worst case you will have to cut the head off the bolt. Once the drive shaft is out of the way you should be able to remove the stud with mole grips.

I recomend you replace the bolts with ones off a 360 as they have a 10 mm head. If you buy new ones from Volvo I doubt they cost much.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/