splash guard, worth tracking down??

Various, various and more various!
Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 28 May 2008 12:07 am

yes and no, worth considering having holes in it (I dont have a splash guard so airflow isnt a problem) but if you were to spend a fair bit on a project then its possibly worth fitting an oil cooler.
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

kaos

Post by kaos » 28 May 2008 07:18 pm

jtbo wrote:In Safari rally they have holes in metal sheets and I think there was some kind of tubes adding strength to structure, anyway it is good idea to have oil temp gauge, it should help find out if there is any need for cooling. Oil pressure gauge is not too bad choice either, one can see pressure drop before expensive light lits red :D
i have 2 x oil pressure gauge and 1 x oil temp ready for my new engine already :lol: already ahead on making sure the engine doesnt go bang
Chris_C wrote:
jtbo wrote:Oil pressure gauge is not too bad choice either, one can see pressure drop before expensive light lits red :D
Another priceless Jani quote! :lol:

Kaos, Jani speaks only the truth here, most rally spec stuff has cooling slots, a lot of the airflow comes from underneath, if you are going to the effort of making/having one made it's not much extra effort, and as the sump guard is only there to deflect, won't make any difference to the job it does!
Should be just as adequate original item only has the cut out for the sump. so adding a removable plate( for servicing) shouldnt cause much difference in the heat in that area. Its a normal road car end of the day( for everyday use) but then the days i go racing are once a month so even with driving to work n back and the odd weekend fun it should be more than fine.
Jason B wrote:yes and no, worth considering having holes in it (I dont have a splash guard so airflow isnt a problem) but if you were to spend a fair bit on a project then its possibly worth fitting an oil cooler.

all lined up oil cooler is just funds depending after the engine is in.
bonnet will have vents in it anyway and be made of fibreglass. plus raised. so should be just as if not more cooler under the hood.

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: splash guard, worth tracking down??

Post by Ronnie » 28 May 2008 08:06 pm

cheshire190e wrote: is this item necessary or just to keep stuff from splashing up.
I honestly believe that this item does sweet FA :wink:
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu