Failed MOT

Various, various and more various!
Bazboy
*** V3M DONOR ***

Failed MOT

Post by Bazboy » 27 May 2008 03:18 pm

well my car just failed its mot and its looking bleak, the garage man has estimated its going to cost about 500 pounds to fix, now most of this work i could do my self except for the welding and the exhaust which is looking to be the biggest of the costs. What advice can people give me for my next move, i have a few days mot remaining and cannot afford to pay for this work to be done, i really love this car and cant bare to see it go as its been in the family for years.

Cheers for any help
Dan

stuartB

Post by stuartB » 27 May 2008 04:45 pm

How bad is it?

list all the faults so we can think on it... gotta take it one repair at a time - nothing is written off till you give up :)
Volvo 360 GLS, 1984, 2ltr 8v SOHC, K+N filter, 2" straight thru pipe, no middle box, lowered 2", Landrover 90 shocks, BBS rims

Bazboy
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Bazboy » 27 May 2008 04:53 pm

well there are a few minor issues like brake pads and hoses which i can take care of my self, but the main points are off side rear vehicle structure has excessive corrosion within 30 cm of the body mountings the near side rear suspension component mounting area is excessively corroded and the offside rear suspension component mounting area is excessively corroded the rest i can handle myself because its all small things but i have no idea how to weld and don't know anyone who does.

stuartB

Post by stuartB » 27 May 2008 11:29 pm

if you want to keep the volvo, it might be worth getting a cheapo old banger to rag about for a bit and SORN the old girl till you've fixed it or found someone who can

its not the sort of thing you want to go into having never welded before - non structural stuff is all fine but thats some pretty hardcore welding.

OR you could get back in the market for another one - mine was only 185 quid, you could find a wicked bargain
Volvo 360 GLS, 1984, 2ltr 8v SOHC, K+N filter, 2" straight thru pipe, no middle box, lowered 2", Landrover 90 shocks, BBS rims

Bazboy
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Bazboy » 27 May 2008 11:38 pm

Yea i would SPRN the car and do what little i could when i could and make it a long term project, but i have no where to store it in southampton and only other option would be my grandparents but they live quite far away. So only option is to get the work done soonish, or is it ok to leave a non mot'd car on the street as long as its taxed and insured and i dont drive it.

also i dont really wanna move onto another car as this ones been in the family since new and was originally my grandfathers.

Cheers Dan

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 28 May 2008 03:09 am

As long as your car is taxed you can leave it on any public highway without fear of being policed. You'll only get grief if you drive it. Ask the garage how much they want for just the welding, everything else on these babies is pretty straightforward and not that expensive. If you get stuck doing any of the jobs just post up here and there'll be loads of help.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

Bazboy
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Bazboy » 28 May 2008 06:13 pm

well he estimated about 3 hours welding as-long as they dont uncover anything else, was thinking about maybe trying to prep the car myself but that wouldn't be my first choice as i dnt wanna risk mucking it up anymore lol So glad i can just leave it on the road cause i have tax and insurance up until september so plenty of time to do the work, just hope i can find somewhere cheap to get it done.

Cheers for all ur help
Dan.