embarrassing squeak

Various, various and more various!
hatch360

embarrassing squeak

Post by hatch360 » 22 Jul 2008 04:44 am

For a while now the drivers door always makes a loud squeak. I have used alot of wd40 but only rarely it helps. It also seems to be seasonal. Could it be the actual bolts(?) that mount it?

For some reason their was alot of mud in that area which I havent seen in many cars at all.

Thanks

antiekeradio

Post by antiekeradio » 22 Jul 2008 11:04 am

WD40 should not be used on hinge pins. old-fashioned grease is best.

where have you put the WD40? often te creaking comes from the door catch, not the hinges themselves.

the doorcatch should also be greased with general purpose grease.

I think it can be accessed best if you take off the door panel...

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 23 Jul 2008 05:22 pm

Oil the check-strap mechanism. Tends to be the noisy bit. Also, if any of the screws are loose on the bracket it can make the noise much worse
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MJ » 27 Jul 2008 04:32 pm

Certainly seasonal. Our 340 is fine on most days, but if it sits in the sun for a while, they really creak, especially the passenger door. Greasing the hinges made little difference, so sometime the door panels had better come off for better access to the gubbins, but I keep putting that off :lol:

mac

Post by mac » 28 Jul 2008 12:52 pm

Afternoon all,

I have rarely known the actual door hinges to be noisy - and Antiekeradio is quite correct - do not use oil/WD40. The hinge pins are of a split tube design closed with a plastic cap top and bottom. The best way to lubricate them would be to remove the caps, clean out the old solidified grease (from the hollow pin) and re-grease (use a grease gun to force the fresh grease down the pin).

What is a regular source of noise however is (as Ronnie suggests) the front door check straps. These can make (an alarmingly) loud noise. Some success can be obtained from "outside" but the best way to silence them is to remove the door panel, peel back the moisture screen, and grease (or oil) the mechanism from inside the door. I have had most success using CV type grease (it is much "stickier"). A thick oil can be used but WD40 will last only a very brief time.

Mac