Unholy vibrations!

Various, various and more various!
Ozbrick

Unholy vibrations!

Post by Ozbrick » 05 Dec 2008 07:55 am

Hi All! just got the car back from a simple wheel balance, and the idling engine is making the steering wheel vibrate like crazy, including the gearbox and the whole car even! When I accelerate, the steering stays straight but the vibrations from the engine make the car thump!

Please help! Is it clutch or engine mount? My lowered springs also don't fit in the cups properly, could they be out??

Cheers,
Rob E
1985 - Volvo 360 GLT - V3M downunder! Uprated coils and leafs, Gas shocks, 3A Racing Filter + balls!
2002 - Renault Clio Sport - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7697

workshopmanualman

Bizarre coincidence

Post by workshopmanualman » 05 Dec 2008 08:38 am

Can't help you, but when I got my car back from having four new tyres it felt sluggish - no real go, and vibrated a bit more than normal. It still went fine, but without so much pep in its stride if you see what I mean. After a week of this it cut out to three cylinders when stationary. Aha! So I changed the dizzy etc. and now it is fine again.

So I can't help, but the solution [Yoda!] may be more simple than you realise.

Or it may be worse....
I blame the Volvo 66 estate I had......

Ozbrick

Post by Ozbrick » 08 Dec 2008 09:22 am

I think the engine may be chugging because of the fuel pump dying.

But...I looked under the car and there was a massive dent in the centre muffler, idiots at the tyre place must have crunched it into a speed bump!

So the whole exhaust got bent back, which now means it rubs on the engine mount, which rubs on the steering rack, which makes the ENTIRE cabin boom. I'll go and nut them tomorrow.
1985 - Volvo 360 GLT - V3M downunder! Uprated coils and leafs, Gas shocks, 3A Racing Filter + balls!
2002 - Renault Clio Sport - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7697