Problem after filter and exaust change

Various, various and more various!
Ste00

Problem after filter and exaust change

Post by Ste00 » 09 Feb 2009 09:52 am

I fitted the cone filter off my rx7 to the 360 for now (rx is being re-sprayed so wont be moving for 6 months +) and ever since i have had a few issues...

1. if you change up to 4th and get to 2k revs then floor the throttle it starts as if its missfiring and jumps about all over the place... their also seems to be hesitation at 2k revs for a second before the power kicks in

2. it will start from cold... if you keep the throttle wide open for 5 minutes it might evean let you idle... then its fine

so to cure this i thought "ok its getting more air now so if i turn that screw their it will run richer problem solved"... but it didnt now it just burns more fuel and stinks like a petrol station... so turned the screw back...

now the issue i am having is probably my own stupid fault that i have overlooked somthing but i cant see any reason for it not to run right with a cone on (cone is connected directly to the AFM not were the standerd 200e airbox is not enclosed (yet)) i have removed the thermal switch thay connected to the old airbox and binned it....

anyone any ideas how to cure my 360? (come back nissan 200sx's all is forgiven... almost)

Fuse

Re: Problem after filter and exaust change

Post by Fuse » 09 Feb 2009 10:40 pm

Something's definately not right, air flow doesn't increase that much it should affect the running.. Is the breather hose connected tightly to the elbow before AFM so no intake leaks between AFM and manifold etc...?

Though it might be just bad luck and not related to the filter/exhaust change anyway. I would definately check the dizzy and rotor because that could be an ignition problem also.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 10 Feb 2009 02:18 am

My 360 run badly when I put a big pipercross on it, lost loads of mid-range torque. My theory was too much air, or the air not moving fast enough (like having a massive exhaust with not enough back pressure). :?:
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 10 Feb 2009 08:23 am

Back to basics. Have yu refitted the std filter assambly to make sure teh filter is the prblem? If not try it.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

Ste00

Post by Ste00 » 10 Feb 2009 10:19 am

Fuse wrote:Something's definately not right, air flow doesn't increase that much it should affect the running.. Is the breather hose connected tightly to the elbow before AFM so no intake leaks between AFM and manifold etc...?

Though it might be just bad luck and not related to the filter/exhaust change anyway. I would definately check the dizzy and rotor because that could be an ignition problem also.
strange that you should mention the dizzy... the rotor arm was a bit dirty on the end contact so I gave it a quick wipe with wire wool to get some of the buildup off it... wonder if i have caused more damage than i have fixed

Ste00

Post by Ste00 » 13 Feb 2009 01:46 pm

sorted this now, the dizzy cap needed replacing allong with the main HT lead. Thanks all for helping with this :)