bloody hex nuts!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Various, various and more various!
littlered

bloody hex nuts!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post by littlered » 10 Jun 2009 07:26 pm

damb hex nuts ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
well i took my car to a friends unit today so my dad and i could take a stab at fitting my springs and blocks!
the springs went well(hes going to replace my shocks now it went that well lol)allthoungh we didnt push the speedo cable in far enough,but done now!
then we started the back,jacked it up,standed up,tried to undo the hex nuts with various keys,then tried a v.good halfords hex socket,but still no luck at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive just searched the threads about it and read them,but goddam we really did use some force and not one moved lol
i guess we are gonna have to do the wd40 soaking,wire brush,nail,clear all the crap out and try again(but from the wheelside and not being able to get underneath im sure its gonna be a pain!
anyone local to me near gatwick want a pocket of money to do it lol?
well at least we realised we need to replace the front shocks,and agree we may aswell do the rears too while we are working there!
i did read one post that said he hadnt had to remove the nuts?
is this posible?
as to be honest as total beginers in this mater,my dad and me both felt we were well outside our capabilities!
as said if anyone could spare the time and skill we would be happy to drive over with some cash!
how long is it likley to take?
cheers carlyle.
p.s i was hoping to take my car to santapod japshow not this but next weekend with my dads scoobie,the front looks awesome,but we keep falling forward and hitting the dash with our noses lol,nah its not that bad!!
340pw

just wanted to say im loving owning the car!and really enjoying the site

OapEM

Re: bloody hex nuts!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post by OapEM » 10 Jun 2009 08:04 pm

This doesn't help much mate, but 360's have 10mm bolts for the shafts, have had mine out twice now with no issues. Maybe replace with hex headed bolts once you get them out?
Get rich or die tryin'!

littlered

Post by littlered » 11 Jun 2009 10:46 am

so whats the worst case senario with these
i take it i need to really wd40 them,clean inside the hex till there spotless,i have a good hex socket bit which i should tap it to seat it then just try and crank it!(im petrified we will screw one up lol)
i was tring to undo them from the wheel(outside)
should i lie directly under the middle of the car (is there a knack)
desperate of east grinstead lol!

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 11 Jun 2009 06:53 pm

I've not lowered the rear of mine so can't comment technically, but getting to them from below should give you better leverage than stretching from the wheel arch.
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 11 Jun 2009 11:28 pm

I have yet to have a set fail to undo on me, i normally jack car up and rotate wheel unil 2 of them are resting flat and accessable through the arch then put handbrake on then crack them off, repeat until all six are undone then undo fully.
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 12 Jun 2009 09:56 am

340GLT wrote:I have yet to have a set fail to undo on me
Same, but I always chuck the thing on stands and use a breaker bar. Key is a *good* hex socket, I find the Halfords Pro/Advanced whatever they are called this week very good.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 14 Jun 2009 08:06 pm

The secret to these, is to make sure you've got good access to them, and then you get an Allen bit that goes into your socket handle and you make sure that it goes in completely into the screw. You'll probably need to scrape out all the muck and grease that's inside the head before it'll seat properly. Once you've got the socket seated fully, put your handle on and carefully apply force until it breaks free. If you do it this way you won't round them off. They're on pretty tight so you'll need a good pull with a fairly long bar but if you do it carefully making sure the socket stays square in the hole you'll get there :D

littlered

Post by littlered » 17 Jun 2009 07:11 pm

hurrahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,we did it today,took us about 2.5 hours.
as told we gave the hex nuts a massive wd40 soak,then wire brushed them out,then cotton budded them lol!!!!!!!
got them all off cleaned them right up,had an issue with one nut not wanting to go on the long bolt(totally ruining the bolt,quick trip to the blacksmiths sorted this£1.00)got it all back together and let the jacks down and SEXYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY,unlike simon cowells trousers its nice and low!
took it for a spin and it feels so much better.
dai im ready to order my front and rear spax,whenever your ready!
pics to follow,as we are at santa pod on sunday and the mighty ovlov gonna have a little flirt with the drift arena(oh by the way those that say a 1.4 wont drift in the dry,they do you know!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you everyone for your comments and advice
cheers carlyle