Best 300 for drifting?

Various, various and more various!
Fuse

Re: Best 300 for drifting?

Post by Fuse » 20 Dec 2009 03:32 pm

Ian Mac wrote:Just a thought but maybe insurance premiums for young drivers are so high because the insurance companies know that a daft barely 17 kid with next to no driving experience is going to drift the thing around an island, lose control, go sidewards across the pavement and wipe-out a group of pedestrians in a bus stop, any one of which could be your mother, my wife, somebody elses daughter etc etc.

I really think that as hopefully mature adults we should dissuade new drivers from even thinking about drifting and modifications until they've got a few years driving experience under their belts.

Also, to address one of the earlier posts on this thread there is no such thing as a modification which doesn't affect your insurance - ALL modifications have to be notified.

And to the guy who asked what he should buy as a first car I think I'd probably suggest a Citroen 2cv or a Morris Minor but whichever you choose I'm more than relieved that you won't be taking MY daughter out in it..

And yes, I was young once and like all new drivers I thought I knew it all. Now I KNOW I know it all I feel compelled to allow you to benefit from my experience.. :wink:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this... Not all young drivers are complete morons who drive their cars on public roads like they stole them. There are idiots in every age groups, it's all about the attitudes...

Cars, mechanics and motorsports have been my hobby since I was in elementary school. I bought my 360 Turbo before I even had a driver's license but still when I got my license I didn't drive around like maniac at places where there are other people around. There are motor tracks for that.

Limiting the opportunities for young drivers to build their cars and closing down motor tracks is more of a problem than solution. If there would be more opportunities for young drivers to find their limits on closed tracks, there wouldn't be so much pressure for those who are leaning more to the idiot-side described above, to drive around like assholes.

Insurance thing.. depends where you live. Here in Finland you can build your car as much as you wan't and it won't affect your insurance, only the engineers at the MOT inspection care what you have done and check that it's legal.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

mat 91

Post by mat 91 » 28 Dec 2009 09:03 pm

Insurance thing.. depends where you live. Here in Finland you can build your car as much as you wan't and it won't affect your insurance, only the engineers at the MOT inspection care what you have done and check that it's legal
i wish the uk was like that would be brillant no getting raped on insurance

craiggriffin

Post by craiggriffin » 01 Jan 2010 09:05 pm

HI

im new the vovlo site, i joined as im currently looking for a volvo to do a bit of fun skidding. im 18 and drive a vauxhall viva wich skid well considering it 35 years old.

my insurance on the viva is 300 tpft for the year, its 600 for the volvo telling them its stripped out

Tom bailey

Post by Tom bailey » 01 Jan 2010 11:12 pm

who's that with?

OapEM

Post by OapEM » 03 Jan 2010 04:38 pm

I only have experience of a 360 minus PAS. However, standard ride height or blocked/chopped with a welded diff whatever the weather are both fine.
IMO they're perfect for a slide.

Now for a hyd handbrake, front coilovers, line lock and a snail. 340pw :lol:
Get rich or die tryin'!

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 03 Jan 2010 04:42 pm

^^^^^ ha ha! mint. 340pw

Tom bailey

Post by Tom bailey » 03 Jan 2010 09:26 pm

craiggriffin wrote:HI

im new the vovlo site, i joined as im currently looking for a volvo to do a bit of fun skidding. im 18 and drive a vauxhall viva wich skid well considering it 35 years old.

my insurance on the viva is 300 tpft for the year, its 600 for the volvo telling them its stripped out
who was that with?

valman

Post by valman » 07 Feb 2010 11:36 pm

Tom bailey wrote:cant believe it i thought the 340 was cheap to insure i was just quoted 3450 !!!!! fully comprehensive
i got a quote on mine for 1116 with footman james, fully comp. give them a ring :)