Crashed my 340 DL

Various, various and more various!
Dendorssers

Crashed my 340 DL

Post by Dendorssers » 11 Jan 2010 11:30 am

As some of you might have read in an other topic, i crashed my car passed week!
I didn't want to hold these back from you and maybe get some advice how to fix this!

This was my granddads car and i loved it to bits, and that is why i'm going to fix it! I'll be doing all welding myself by the way.
My plan is to get it a rolling chassis again, then have in straightend and weld a donor front back on!
Let me know what you think!

By the way, cause of the crash: reading a stupid text on my cell... Whatever you do, don't!
Normaly i don't even do it, but why i did it now... I have no idea! Just turned out to be a very stupid thing!

Don't think i need to comment on the pictures, you will see what i mean!

whiskeyonesix

Re: Crashed my 340 DL

Post by whiskeyonesix » 11 Jan 2010 11:42 am

It looks like the "safety cage" is out of shape.... that's what stopped me from repairing my old 740 when I bent that about 6 yrs ago.

It looks like a lot of work, but I admire you for doing it!
MKIII 360GLT Aus-spec B200EA 239K
Mods: custom paint fade
New Cylinder head.
Auxilary cooling fan.
195/60/14 Pyonghung Ditchfinder tyres
Vario Vents FTW

G8 4 DRFTN etc....

Dendorssers

Post by Dendorssers » 11 Jan 2010 11:58 am

I guess you are right when you say its bend, however, i'm still hoping that having it straightend will help it regain his original shape!

The whole front end will be from a yet to find breaker, so it will take some time to get this fixed. As i said, this is nr 3 on the priority list, i got a 360 restauration project waiting on me (completely stripped now) that needs some welding, cleaning, complete repainting and in the mean while i got a 340 wich i bought for a 100 euro with a busted, but yet changed head gasket, that needs some finishing up and a little bit of welding! After that it this one that is going to get it!

Although, if i can be straighted, i won't wait very long to have it done, cause now the material tension is still great and is more likely to pop back in his original position!

I can understand why someone would break a car over this, it would cost tons of money to have it fixed, but since i'll be doing most of the work (besides painting and things) the cost will not be that great (i hope!)

I actually know its stupid to try this, but it was my granddads car, my first car and i wanna have it fixed!

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 11 Jan 2010 01:47 pm

I'm about to be breaking a car this week if you need parts. Like the chassis legs and stuff, although that does look very bent. Its pushed the chassis leg back by the looks, so method of repair would be remove outer panels and straighten as much as possible then cut panels out so new can be welded in.
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

Dendorssers

Post by Dendorssers » 11 Jan 2010 01:58 pm

Thanks for the advice Adam, and for the breaker you are offering! However, this being a left hand drive, i would be nothing with a RHD... Finding a breaker is the least of my worries at this moment, its more the other stuff i'm worried about, like the bends...

Either way, fist thing to do is make it a rolling chassis again, so that means, cutting out big chuncks of metal from the wheelarea... After that, i'll have to remove the engine and asses the damage this crash has coused to my car!

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 11 Jan 2010 03:44 pm

yeh i only just noticed its a LHD now although all panels but the bulkhead would be the same. Although the logistics of it would obviously be a pain!!
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

Dendorssers

Post by Dendorssers » 11 Jan 2010 03:53 pm

Logistics is what is holding me back! hehe, i would have fixed the left right problem i bet! hehe

I know a lot of dutch people with tons of stuff, so that will not be the difficulty. Now it only is the matter of the amount of chasis dammage... and how to get that fixed over time!

Ian Mac

Post by Ian Mac » 11 Jan 2010 04:14 pm

Putting sentiment to one side I'd be inclined to cut my losses and maybe dismantle the car for spares as this would be an extremely difficult repair without professional body shop equipment and expertise. If you do decide to attempt a repair the first thing you need to do is get the car on a jig to see if it can be pulled back into line - I certainly wouldn't resort to cutting any metal at this stage. Judging by the damage to the roof the car has absorbed a fairly severe impact and my personal view is that whilst most things CAN be repaired you have to make a judgment as to whether its practical to to do so.

Even sentiment has a price :?
Ian

No Volvo 340 at present.

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 11 Jan 2010 04:26 pm

Indeed, coming from a man with experience I think you should listen to Ian. I'd come clean with your grandad and just say it was someone elses fault. That'll spare you a beating at least. Failing this, buy one in the same colour and get custom plates for it and he'll be nay the wiser. But IMs right here, have a good think about what you're going to have to do here.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Dendorssers

Post by Dendorssers » 11 Jan 2010 04:36 pm

I know Ian, that is why i am on the lookout for some expert opions. i send out a few mails today and will go and fetch someone this weekend to come and take a look!

I know this would be a rather expensive thing to do, but finding a good 340 in the same collour is not likely to happen, i have thought about doing that to, and i might just do it, but... just need to close al doors, cause there is nothing that comes even close in colour and model to replace this one!

Bye the way, license plates in Belgium, belong to the owner, not the car, so even my new car, would have the same plates! :D

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 11 Jan 2010 08:10 pm

If it was me, id have a good cry, put it down to a 'learning experience' and start again on another car.
Its very easy to become attached to a car and to spend money on it beyond reason to repair it and save it. Especially when theres a sentimental attachment.
If its a rare version, sometimes people go to extrordinary lengths to save it.
A 340 DL is relativly common. But the emotional attachment is of course one of a kind.

The voice of reason says transfer all the good parts from your grandfathers car, onto a straight doner shell.
Then the car lives on.
Without the massive expense.

i totally understand the way you feel though dude. :wink:

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 12 Jan 2010 01:28 am

Looks like a lot of force has been directed to passenger compartment of the car through the box section that runs from the bumper mount to right under the car. Looks like a direct hit on this box section by collision with a post? No door gap between drivers and passengers door and roof dents in photograph show this too. I'm not an expert but I've got a feeling this kind of damage can never be fixed easily due to everything now being out of line as. VND has the best idea, a re-shell would be the best way to keep anything of the car, maybe find a car for free that needs a new engine. I know how bad it is to loose a car like this, I had a car that had been in the family for 30 years stolen a couple of years ago.
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

Bjorn Belter

Post by Bjorn Belter » 12 Jan 2010 01:57 pm

What a super looking Variomatic it was.
I understand totally your sentiment and family attachment to it. My first car was a DAF 55 which had belonged to a distant relative and whilst I fortunately didn't crash it - well, not to the extent of damaging it - I kept it for many many years having rust patched up, but eventually it had to go.

As others have said, you have a heck of a lot of work to do there. Initially the front photo doesn't look too bad, but as others have said, the chassis and whole shell has been affected.

Again as has been said, because the trim and all looks so good, perhaps find a complete replacement shell?

volvorsport

Post by volvorsport » 15 Jan 2010 11:46 pm

ill be cooming to belgium soon in a van .

BUT , that roof is creased , id say its been compromised .

way back when , a 340 that was bought accident damaged to be repaired , actually couldnt be repaired because the suspension tie rod had pushed the box section in about an inch , no probs on the jig youd think .

car got scrapped because it couldnt be pulled out , it was that hard !!!

so , it needs looking at properly .