Post by spike4073 » 18 Apr 2010 07:43 pm

ok my 340 dl has been stood for 12 month:

want to get her back on road but when i serviced her she wasnt running right:

problems identified and fixed are:

starter.....replaced

carb....... re-built

sparks....changed

problems now are:

she wont turn over....is like the starter cant turn engine...... turns fine when sparks are removed.

one of the valves is bent i believe as the valve spring wont bring it back up.

i was wondering if there was anyone in or near to sheffield who has knowlege of these cars who is able to come look at it for me

please reply or e-mail me at spike4073@hotmail.com happy to pay you for your time.

i realy dont want to scrap her as she only has 60000 on clock and has been very well looked after and i think has many years still in her if sorted.

thanx

spike

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: help needed with 340...urgent!!

Post by pettaw » 18 Apr 2010 07:54 pm

If it turns fine with the plugs removed but gets stuck when you put the plugs in then I would think that something is wrong with your plugs. Are they fouling the top of the pistons? Bent valve would usually mean zero compression on one cylinder. If it got really badly bent that the piston couldn't push it back up again when it came up the bore I suppose theoretically it could get stuck but then taking the plugs out would make no difference. Have you checked the rotor arm to make sure it hasn't shifted in its groove, and that the plug wires aren't in the wrong order? That can cause the engine to backfire like its getting stuck.

volvodspec

Re: help needed with 340...urgent!!

Post by volvodspec » 18 Apr 2010 08:06 pm

i think it has more to do with a dead battery...

with the plugs removed you have zero compression so the startermotor can still crank it around

with the plugs in it the starter motor has more load fighting the compression buildup and asks a whole lotta amps from the battery. 12month period out of action is the thing that makes this very well possible

alternatives are a bad ground from negative battery terminal to the engine, or a bad + from battery terminal