Fed up with diagnosis... Replacing the lot!

Various, various and more various!
CBA

Fed up with diagnosis... Replacing the lot!

Post by CBA » 14 May 2010 08:27 am

The whole front end's being ripped out and replaced, struts, joints, bushes, eyerything. Needs doing, most of it is original.

I've so far got:

STRUTS
INSERTS
HUBS (one is a bit suspect so i'm swapping them)
Front Wheel Bearings
BALLJOINTS

What I need are :

Strut top bearings (urgentish) used is fine by me.
Anti roll bar bushes (not urgent at all)
TIE rod bushes (need them in the normal sense)
Wishbone bushes (Oh my..)

W.H.Y.?

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Fed up with diagnosis... Replacing the lot!

Post by Chris_C » 14 May 2010 11:57 am

Strut top bearing dimensions I measured the other day, give your local Timkin supplier a ring or go to the Timkin site direct, they have good catalogues on the website.

Images approaching...

Check what condition your top spring cups are like first though,

They are mostly like this and cracking.
I'd talk to some suspension people, they will be fairly universal. The dimensions are all on my photo thingy but save abusing this thread I'll just post:

If you get a new top cup, just get a different sized strut top bearing that still has the same inner dimension to snugly fit the damper shaft.

Right, onto bushes. Dai will do you wishbone bushes in poly. They arn't a huge amount of pennies and are available unlike the originals ;) Tie rod bushes, again, Dai. Antiroll bar to wishbone Dai also does, but anti roll bar to chassis as you've got a 1.4 (I think...) he doesn't do, he only does 19mm ARB and above for that. Best chance there would be to ring up superflex I'd imagine with the dimensions as I'd imagine it's the same as something else.

I've just installed a set of front end ones, all the above piccies and a million more are http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_cardwell ... 229120615/ if it's any help to you.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

CBA

Post by CBA » 14 May 2010 05:23 pm

Excellent!, I have till january to get it sorted, looks like I might be ready for middle of summer tho given this wealth of info - Holland or BUST!.

Thank you V Much! sm4

CBA

Post by CBA » 14 May 2010 06:16 pm

So the strut bearing only needs to fit the damper shaft, and the cup then is to suit the new bearing and accept the spring top, so mix and match.
got it.

I get the struts soon, so I'll get new springs for them also and rebuild them off the car, makes it an easy job then, one out one in.

So wishbone + tie rods first.

CBA

Post by CBA » 16 May 2010 08:05 am

Deleted
Last edited by CBA on 16 May 2010 08:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CBA

Post by CBA » 16 May 2010 08:43 am

Just these few unnacounted for,

suspension spring cups x2 :roll:
Wishbones
Shock absorber dust covers/gaiters --

that is all.

------
Doing bloody well I think, pat on the back to contributors! :D

Think I deserve a rest, been searching parts for about 9 hours... no 11 :shock:
Will put up a list of saved volvo part URL's, I found a few...

Are there any parts at all I've missed out from front suspension that would likely be worn?

These are what I'm getting so far:

OEM struts (used but solid and tidy looking, can be smoothed and painted to look brand new easily) £30 + delivery

OEM inserts (very lightly used, will service them as shown in the manual) (included in struts)

Lightly worn OEM hubs (included with the struts)

Bottom Ball joints, unsure of quality, they look "advanced" tho, solid/refined. £9.90 + delivery

Top strut bearings (sourced I think. check the link) ---> http://www.teiledirekt.de/product_info. ... 57/refID/2

Spring cups (NOT sourced, anyone know where I can get these illusive little buggers)

NEW springs (can source but theyre a tad expensive, any cheap places?)

Tie rods (either rubber or poly - apart from longevity what's the ride quality difference, I can source both kinds easily)

Wheel bearing kits Left/Right (sourced, about twenny quid delivered)

Steering rack gaiters (£5 each or so)

Anything I should add to that list :?:

Anti roll bushes are in fine condition
Radius arm bushes are also fine
steering rack/track rods etc have no play, all joints/mounts concerned with steering are solid with no play detectable.

Edcase 300

Post by Edcase 300 » 16 May 2010 10:27 am

well done on the progress dude looks like youve been mega busy! sm4
F reg Volvo 360 GLT 118k miles (My first car) RIP
G reg Volvo 340 1.7 122k miles (Started my Interest in Volvo 300s) RIP
Currently Driving a Citroen AX 1.0 'Eco-Box Stopgap' :-i
One Day... Volvo 360 Turbo ;-)

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 16 May 2010 11:17 pm

CBA wrote: NEW springs (can source but theyre a tad expensive, any cheap places?)
Just a quick post as I'm skimming atm, will try and read through properly later.

Either Dai along with the bushes, or Falkner's Springs in Portsmouth. Both are around £60 for a pair (I'm not exactly sure obviously ;)) and will custom make them to spec. The green books list these.

As to bushes, do the lot whilst you have it apart. It really is false economy not to. I run polys and have noticed no more uncomfort, Dai's are at the "lighter" end of polybushes and are still comfy as.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

CBA

Post by CBA » 17 May 2010 03:05 am

i think i'll leave the one or two bushes that are good, they look new, and are easy enough to replace with poly bushes later, it's only a few left behind for time being, I dont mind replacing them later just they're solid and servicable for now.

Spring cups, i have a phone number... ring tomorrow :) .
those dust protectors for the struts, still no luck. :( , I mean theyre not important but these ones I have are all floppy and ugly.
I know they're pretty universal but I want a snug fit...