Evoman's 360 GLT

A place to describe in details your 300, close to or in genuine condition
The purchase, story of the car, repairs...
Nimminz

Re: Evoman's 360 GLT - Trying on wheels

Post by Nimminz » 27 Jan 2013 05:34 pm

Rotas would be my choice, cars looking good! Glad you had more luck than me with the wheel bearing
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 27 Jan 2013 05:55 pm

Nimminz wrote:Rotas would be my choice, cars looking good! Glad you had more luck than me with the wheel bearing
Thanks matt and mark :) I did have the luxury of a lift though. :Like i said to you on facebook matt I think its important that stub axle is pressed in as I cant see a way that it would be pulled through when tighting the nut as the nut doesnt tighten against the bearing it tightens against the inside of the cup.

Evoman

Re: Evoman's 360 GLT

Post by Evoman » 01 Apr 2013 10:44 pm

Here a short update. I took the car for an MOT on monday but it failed, nothing too bad, emissions, washer jets not working ( :oops: ) and worn tie rod bushes. I have replace the tie rod bushes with some from Dai (thank you!) and have got the washer jets working after alot of poking and soaking of the jets. Hopefully the emissions is just a case of playing with the idle speed and i suspect it might be something do with my current air flow meter.

A neighbour has kindly said I can use his old garage to work on the car, its nothing posh but it means I have a flat concrete floor rather than a sloping gravel drive and so I no longer have to rely on finding free time in my very generous old boss's schedule to use a lift. This garage will become the cars home in the near future as I intend to get a new car in preparation for my post university employment and this might perhaps maybe finally allow me to do things to car i've always wanted to but couldn't as I couldn't have it off the road for long.

In its new home! :)

The outer cup had rotted pretty bad, so much so it wasn't able to fulfil its role, therefore it was removed the role. I was pleasantly surprised how little resistance the tie rod to bottom arm bolts put up, Im sure such exposed threads on other period cars wouldn't have been so easy!

I also replaced the spoiler, something I've been wanting to do since I bought the car as the original had some damage that had been (skilfully) repaired with electrical tape.

I thought it would be fun to try the old on the old corsa...

I think it would make a very tasteful modification

I also replaced my drivers seat as the last one's lumber support had snapped, im not even fat!! I dont think a picture of this would be very interesting though!

Hopefully it will have an MOT this week and ill treat it to a clean and perhaps and polish and wax if I'm bored enough!

And here is a final picture

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 01 Apr 2013 11:33 pm

Still looking good man. Oddly my tie rod nuts were they same, surprisingly easy! I had estimated an hour and half - two hours to do the bushes, ended up taking me 30 mins :lol:

Same situation as you right now too car wise. Im looking to get something a bit more reliable to get me around for interviews/job, and it means I can take my time doing bits on the 340. Not sure about the spoiler on the corsa though . . .
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 01 Apr 2013 11:45 pm

Ye, i'd given my self alot of time and I was very surprised how quickly they came off, the longest part was jacking the car up! haha!

Ye I was concerned about using my Volvo for interviews but managed to persuade my dad to give me a lift by threatening to use his car! :P Fortuently I only had one interview and now I know I have job sorted I can look for another car. Im stuck between an S60 2.0T, V70 2.4 or a van.

Just to be sure to keep my dignity I was being sarcastic about the corsa :)

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 02 Apr 2013 12:28 am

Its no worries dude! I'm thinking of a slammed K10 micra atm . . . wicked.

Congrats on the job, I struggled to find anywhere, and now I'm doing an MEng so another year at uni. I'm toying with the idea of buying a towing car so the 340 becomes a bit more dedicated, as its getting that way it seems! It'd still be road legal, just I wouldn't have to rely on him as much!

What sort of job have you got?
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 02 Apr 2013 12:54 am

Tow car? sounds like the ideal reason for a D5 with a hefty remap :)

The job is in automotive so I'm happy :)

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 02 Apr 2013 02:01 am

Your car always makes me wish mine was red. I'd not be too keen on that radius arm mount, when the other cup rotted off on mine it made a big difference to driving, random clunks and movement from the wheel where it shouldn't be moving. Probably help it pass the MOT - if it's not there it's not broken :lol:
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 02 Apr 2013 11:06 am

Nimminz wrote:Your car always makes me wish mine was red. I'd not be too keen on that radius arm mount, when the other cup rotted off on mine it made a big difference to driving, random clunks and movement from the wheel where it shouldn't be moving. Probably help it pass the MOT - if it's not there it's not broken :lol:
Urmm, perhaps I should fine some that aren't rotten. I dont think the old will be doing much, so it would have to be one thats not rotten

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 03 Apr 2013 01:47 pm

It passed the MOT today, so I treated it to some tax! :lol: Passed with no advisories! I had to change my air flow metre for the standard one to get it through, the difference is notable though! The car also feels a little more planted and better balanced with the new bushes! Off to give it a clean now :)

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 04 Apr 2013 06:08 pm

I treated it to a clean and some turtle wax. Me and charnock went out for a scenic picture, shame about the Alpina really...

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 04 Apr 2013 09:41 pm

looking good! Could do with some back to black on the rear bumper mind :wink: :lol:

seriously though it looks mint! nice as the alpina is, get it shifted on the next scenic photo lol
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 04 Apr 2013 10:10 pm

Cheers matt :) Ye it is right in f*cking way :P There is a photo somewhere of all the 360. Yes it could with some back to black but I had none spare :(

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 04 Apr 2013 11:03 pm

Where abouts do you live Chris? I need to pay this area a visit, the scenery looks stunning.
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 04 Apr 2013 11:13 pm

SteveP wrote:Where abouts do you live Chris? I need to pay this area a visit, the scenery looks stunning.
That photo was taken in borth, you must know it, enough brummies visit in the summer :P I live near Aberystwyth and fortuently we have some stunning scenery its seems to be everywhere really and you kind take it for granted! If you do you should bring your 360!!