Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

A place to describe in details your 300, close to or in genuine condition
The purchase, story of the car, repairs...
User avatar
bogbasic
Posts: 1424
Joined: 21 Nov 2004 10:12 pm
Location: New Malden, Surrey.
Contact:

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by bogbasic » 06 Nov 2017 11:49 pm

Awesome work.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

benji1985
Posts: 492
Joined: 30 Oct 2015 06:58 pm
Location: Helston

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by benji1985 » 26 Nov 2017 07:28 pm

Hello all, small updates for you all.
Duchess was "rushed" in to service as the S80 popped out her core plug and dump all her oil, so Duchess was used for a few days, (the S80 is all fixed now, 11 hours later!).
After which Duchess went back to the grandparents until the garage was ready to receive her.
Image20171116_071715 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20171116_071737 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Here she is at work

A week has passed and now she is down in cornwall, few little bits done.
Belts tighten up as they were slipping
New heater resister pack fitted with special thanks to Mac
located the squealing noise, coming from the distributor cap, new one on order from Mac.

Image20171126_153237 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20171126_160431 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

Few more bits to work on like the fitting the new roof gutters, if anyone has a good idea on how to fit these and get them to stick please tell me.

Ben

User avatar
bogbasic
Posts: 1424
Joined: 21 Nov 2004 10:12 pm
Location: New Malden, Surrey.
Contact:

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by bogbasic » 26 Nov 2017 09:57 pm

Epic work on your faithful satellite.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

360beast
Posts: 832
Joined: 27 Dec 2013 08:40 pm

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by 360beast » 27 Nov 2017 07:50 am

Maybe run a bead of sikaflex down the centre of the roof gutters and fit them, then wipe away the excess?

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2532
Joined: 18 May 2006 03:43 pm
Location: BELFAST UNITED KINGDOM

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by MCHUDD » 01 Dec 2017 01:20 pm

Hi Ben.
Love the Hella. Might put mine back on.
There is a saying here in Belfast,
ITS A CRACKER.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

benji1985
Posts: 492
Joined: 30 Oct 2015 06:58 pm
Location: Helston

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by benji1985 » 26 Jan 2018 07:39 pm

Hello sorry for the quiet time on here, had a few problems to sort.
19/12/17
Had a squealing coming from the distributor so tried a 2nd new arm.... this broke, so found a spare distributor and fitted the whole unit on, new cap and all is great
Image20171219_115220 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20171219_115244 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr


25/25/17
Christmas day goodies
Image20171225_132300 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20171225_133827 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr


05/01/18
The new LED bulbs arrived so got them fitted, got to admit there is a good difference, not so much brighter, but a lot crisper light.
Image20180105_143339 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180105_180329 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

07/01/18
Today saw a little job i forgot to do which was to seal in the rear light with silicon
Image20180107_145243 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

Night time shot of LED's
Image20180108_181847 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

09/01/18
Trying to track down the misfire at light throttle...
plugs from cylinder 1 to 4
Image20180109_165959 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180109_170022 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180109_170114 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180109_170153 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

1 to 3 look normal and 4 looks bad..... however 1 to 3 are not good... more to follow

15/01/18
After changing the plugs and still getting misfire, more inspection was needed all 4 cylinders had a good 170psi average pressure
so took the carb off and the manifold
Found a little exhaust leak there
Image20180115_133804 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

but then it came off to find this!
Image20180115_133844 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_133851 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_133857 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_133940 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_133945 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

the ports on the head look ok
Image20180115_134131 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_134250 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_134254 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_134308 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_134327 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_134533 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_134538 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

So the head is to come off
fist bolt to come out has oil/water mix on it
Image20180115_153234 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_154132 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

you can see now that water was getting in to 3 of the cylinders
Image20180115_154500 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_154519 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

Headgasket does not look bad....
Image20180115_155005 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr

Image20180115_155010 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_155450 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr
Image20180115_155543 by Benjamin Charlton, on Flickr


So now have a new genuine Volvo head gasket to try. Lets hope that solves the issue

more to come soon

Ben

User avatar
bogbasic
Posts: 1424
Joined: 21 Nov 2004 10:12 pm
Location: New Malden, Surrey.
Contact:

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by bogbasic » 26 Jan 2018 10:17 pm

Awesome work, indeed.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7811
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by SteveP » 27 Jan 2018 09:24 am

Bugger! Are you going to use new bolts too just to rule them out? The fact water is in 3 of the cylinders AND down the side of the block and there's nothing wrong with the head gasket suggests a clamping/sealing issue? The head mating surface looks kinda contaminated/dirty?
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

benji1985
Posts: 492
Joined: 30 Oct 2015 06:58 pm
Location: Helston

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by benji1985 » 27 Jan 2018 11:45 am

SteveP wrote:Bugger! Are you going to use new bolts too just to rule them out? The fact water is in 3 of the cylinders AND down the side of the block and there's nothing wrong with the head gasket suggests a clamping/sealing issue? The head mating surface looks kinda contaminated/dirty?
Agreed, the bolts are 100mm long. The others i have found are also 100mm so i dont think it is the bolts.
I have a new gasket (volvo one) going spend some time cleaning up the block mating surface, the cylinder head is clean.

Hope this solves the issue

Ben

User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7811
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by SteveP » 27 Jan 2018 12:52 pm

I think that will be the issue - how clean was the mating surface when you fitted the new head gasket before? If it wasn't seeping out of the side of the gasket also I'd be checking liner height? But from them pics I'd say clean up the mating surface.

Could it also be related to the head bolt torque settings? Are you supposed to re-check the torque setting after its first heat cycle on the B14?
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

benji1985
Posts: 492
Joined: 30 Oct 2015 06:58 pm
Location: Helston

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by benji1985 » 27 Jan 2018 01:00 pm

SteveP wrote:I think that will be the issue - how clean was the mating surface when you fitted the new head gasket before? If it wasn't seeping out of the side of the gasket also I'd be checking liner height? But from them pics I'd say clean up the mating surface.

Could it also be related to the head bolt torque settings? Are you supposed to re-check the torque setting after its first heat cycle on the B14?
I dont trust my torque wench (not now) I am borrowing one in the morning so could be under torqued and the wench was a fault etc

re check is after 300 miles ish.... she only just got to that when this happened

User avatar
bogbasic
Posts: 1424
Joined: 21 Nov 2004 10:12 pm
Location: New Malden, Surrey.
Contact:

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by bogbasic » 28 Jan 2018 02:04 am

I thought you were supposed to get the head skimmed before refitting it - I am mechanically quite ignorant so don't trust my advice, but its what I've heard several times in the past. Good luck anyway!
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

benji1985
Posts: 492
Joined: 30 Oct 2015 06:58 pm
Location: Helston

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by benji1985 » 28 Jan 2018 08:15 am

bogbasic wrote:I thought you were supposed to get the head skimmed before refitting it - I am mechanically quite ignorant so don't trust my advice, but its what I've heard several times in the past. Good luck anyway!
It is good practice, but my head was perfectly smooth and flat, I did test it with a straight edge.

Ben

volvomania
Posts: 613
Joined: 09 Aug 2005 02:24 pm
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by volvomania » 28 Jan 2018 03:24 pm

benji1985 wrote:Few more bits to work on like the fitting the new roof gutters, if anyone has a good idea on how to fit these and get them to stick please tell me.
Just wait until it is 20-25°C, the warmer the better (softens the gutters).
I have never used any adhesive to keep them in place, but have instead used a slight "dusting" of vaseline (underneath the trim) to keep the gutter rustfree.
Starting on one end I slid/hung the trim (vertical motion) on the gutter for some length and started to roll it over the corner a few finger widths at a time.
The idea is that it will roll into place and not to put too much twist on the trim.
So hang it on the gutter for as long as possible
Start to roll it over the corner at the very end, but not for the entire way, but gently working it
Return to where it has snapped into place and progress a bit further working the trim
And so on, and so on.
If it is too cold the gutter will snap.
Life is a journey, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

http://www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu

benji1985
Posts: 492
Joined: 30 Oct 2015 06:58 pm
Location: Helston

Re: Duchess The Volvo 340 CVT

Post by benji1985 » 28 Jan 2018 09:08 pm

volvomania wrote:
benji1985 wrote:Few more bits to work on like the fitting the new roof gutters, if anyone has a good idea on how to fit these and get them to stick please tell me.
Just wait until it is 20-25°C, the warmer the better (softens the gutters).
I have never used any adhesive to keep them in place, but have instead used a slight "dusting" of vaseline (underneath the trim) to keep the gutter rustfree.
Starting on one end I slid/hung the trim (vertical motion) on the gutter for some length and started to roll it over the corner a few finger widths at a time.
The idea is that it will roll into place and not to put too much twist on the trim.
So hang it on the gutter for as long as possible
Start to roll it over the corner at the very end, but not for the entire way, but gently working it
Return to where it has snapped into place and progress a bit further working the trim
And so on, and so on.
If it is too cold the gutter will snap.
Hello RJ, your quite right i didnt work out the whole roll bit, i tried with my broken one this however broken even more :(
Do you have a chrome gutter trim, after one to make a pair.

Ben

Post Reply