Turbo 360: More potential shell ruining lol

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
L14MNP

Turbo 360: More potential shell ruining lol

Post by L14MNP » 18 Jul 2010 06:29 pm

As previously mentioned, I have bought a 1996 940 estate from RR forum so i can convert my 360. The plan is to have it completed within 3 weeks. This week is for stripping the 940.
I collected the donor from Nottingham yesterday and trailored it home. Big thanks to Mark for accompanying me and all of the subsequent help yesterday and today. 8) Also cheers to Conor for all of the help ferrying the cars about etc and letting me use your garage (even more) dude. :)

After some car shuffling the 940 was in my garage at home, my mates mk1 XR2 on a trailor to head south and for now my Primera project has been rehoused...
In my mates rented garage which is now Fiesta free.
Looking VERY sorry for itself! (part of the reason is to detract attention away from the people who were asking what was happing with the car/nice wheels etc. Make it look like scrap FTW)

These things really don't rust do they! I don't have a complete pic as I removed the headlights and grille for a mate from another forum.
The engine is sweet as a nut for having covered 200K miles. Very pleased with it.

Let the 'deconstruction' commence!
Large load space FTW. :lol:
"Come on Marge, it's fun to smash things!"

Wiring ID fail. This pleased Mark. :lol:
Stretch out the label and the joke is no more lol.

Where's the rust?! Every car should have some. :/
Until tomorrow...

Mark and I made awesome progress on it today. Having ID'd every wire inside the car bar what runs to the back (too much shit in boot to access) although we know it's rear wiper/heated screen/ABS sensors/fuel pump etc so it's all good. We started on the engine bay too. More progress to be made there tomorrow. I am doing it as Ron suggested, keep it running and unplug things. This method has already helped out with the immobilser pick up ring on the barrel and one of the alarm control boxes/ECU's.

The doors aren't fitted very well mind! Or maybe Mark is heavy handed?

Die Turbo Brick! :lol: 340pw

Cheers gents.
Last edited by L14MNP on 28 Feb 2012 12:08 am, edited 39 times in total.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

Edcase 300

Re: Project B230FT 360 in 3 weeks has begun.

Post by Edcase 300 » 18 Jul 2010 06:33 pm

8) .... 340pw
F reg Volvo 360 GLT 118k miles (My first car) RIP
G reg Volvo 340 1.7 122k miles (Started my Interest in Volvo 300s) RIP
Currently Driving a Citroen AX 1.0 'Eco-Box Stopgap' :-i
One Day... Volvo 360 Turbo ;-)

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 18 Jul 2010 06:36 pm

Woah,
good work man.

speedy dismentaling ftw.

do you get more scrap money if theres no rust in it? :lol:

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 18 Jul 2010 06:49 pm

LOL it all goes into one massive pile to make shiny new Korean hatchbacks so they wouldn't even care they were getting superior Swedish steel. :lol:

I'm gonna get back what I can from scrapping it like. Weigh in the shell/panels and scrap the wheels/bumper bars as they're alloy. Remove the cat, if it's OEM that could be worth OK money. Battery is pretty new, or could yeild a few quid in scrap. Fill the fuel tank with water (maybe). lol
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 18 Jul 2010 06:53 pm

youve been framed £250 easy!

just noticed that link.

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 18 Jul 2010 07:37 pm

Awesome work, making light weight of the stripping. Look forward to seeing the 360 finished sm4
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 18 Jul 2010 10:12 pm

Good effort... your 360 with this engine will be one of the nicest 300's out there... ever imo :D
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 19 Jul 2010 12:20 am

Can you post a list of the wires we actually need? Any help would be great, I will have to do this too.

Just thinking does it need the speed pickup? The mgt seems to know when the car is moving.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 19 Jul 2010 09:38 pm

Thanks a lot guys! Steve, you may wanna hold off with that acolade until you see the car in the metal mate. :lol:

Ride_on. Yeah mate, as siad before of course I will. I'm unsure myself ATM though! :lol: What do you mean about the speed pick up??

Todays update:

Had a couple hours on this tonight. Got more of the loom worked out.

It has THREE ECU's and won't run without all of them connected. That's surprising as I assumed one would be for ABS, but it seems not. Plus it has an alarm/immob so who knows what's going on. They will have to stay!
Also removed/unplugged a few more unrequired things inside and detangled what felt like the mystery of the universe expressed in a Volvo wiring loom running over and around a steering column. lol

Then Mark rocked up and we had a look at the business end of things. Cheers dude.
O/S engine bay loom with unrequired plugs cut back (will be removed when I sort through it all) and pulled through bulkhead and ran outside the car so I know where I'm at.

N/S with a few things removed and liberated from the plethora of restraining cable ties that are everywhere!. (Packed in at this stage.)

Anyone for spaghetti?

What's been removed so far.

It's looking pretty good ATM. Just the majority of the N/S engine loom to sort where it runs down the inner wing. Then it will be about time to cut out the unrequired stuff and trim the loom down - there's a lot to come out! :]

Does anyone know if the Jetronic ECU's earth through the case/bracket? As at one stage it wouldn't fire up until I slid the ECU back into the bracket on the body. Then after that it was fine just hanging loose though. :/ lol
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 19 Jul 2010 09:51 pm

3 ecus?
the shuttle to space didnt have that many.

and that did have abs.

great work though dude!

spagghetti sex unraveling ftw.

whiskeyonesix

Post by whiskeyonesix » 19 Jul 2010 11:37 pm

Looks like you're having some right old fun and games there! Will be interesting to see how it pans out... That wiring loom looks.........challenging :)

HINT: I had some of those alloys on my 740 years ago, you'll get a bit more money back if you sell them rather than weighing them in
MKIII 360GLT Aus-spec B200EA 239K
Mods: custom paint fade
New Cylinder head.
Auxilary cooling fan.
195/60/14 Pyonghung Ditchfinder tyres
Vario Vents FTW

G8 4 DRFTN etc....

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 20 Jul 2010 01:02 pm

Jesus, that looks scary. I am frightened!

This maybe of help.

There is some info on volvoforums.org.uk about bypassing the alarm immobiliser. should be doable easily enough. I'll try and dig it out.

The ABS unit is under the dash, will get photo's + ID

The speed sensor is in the gearbox and used for the speedo, but I get the impression it is used in the management. Sometimes the revs sit a little high with the throttle closed, but it drops when the car stops. It may just be to keep the brake servo topped up, steering pump etc, I don't imaging it its that important for the 360 without PS + AC.

I have a 95 turbo as a daily and a 96 Turbo with AC as the donor, so I can recheck things if information is lost in the disassembly.

How many of the relays behind the ashtray have you managed to pull out?
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 20 Jul 2010 04:00 pm

get the electrical sheme's for this engine; i bet you can cut away more than 2/3 of the loom and keep 1 ECU is you get all the wiring sorted out!!!

the bit where pulling out an ecu immobilises the car is a safety tool in case a mechanic forgets to connect it, if you dig out the shematics you'll see several looped wires going in and out of the other ECU's, that's all.

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 20 Jul 2010 08:27 pm

Thanks again all. 340pw

lol Ben, I wonder how many the challenger had? Maybe they were French.[/bad taste] Cheers man. 8)

whiskeyonesix, yeah mate all hassle free so far. I'll tell you how it will pan out. It HAS to work as it's my only car atm. :lol:
Good shout on the rims, I thought that too, as they're in VGC with good tyres, but didn't know if there was much demand for them? I will check the bay. 340pw

Ride_on, that's just the type of info I am after mate. I was going to look for bypass instructions. :) It would be cool if you can find it though. Yeah I know which is the ABS unit now although it lives on the scuttle panel, not under the dash lol, just seems strange that the car didn't want to run yesterday with it unplugged. :lol:

I agree with you about the speed sensor. It should pose no problems for either of us. It's a minor thing anyway IMO.
That's handy that you have a motor to check incase things get confused lol. How many pieces are you comfortable having it in though? :lol:

As for the ash tray relays, I haven't touched them yet. I have been working out the main things needed to keep it running. Tomorrow I hope to get onto slimming down the loom a bit, as we know, there is so much unrequired crap in there lol. I just hope not too much loops into other circuits. That's when it starts to get me scratching my head!

volvodspec, I bet you're right mate. Do you know where I can get the wiring schematics? (lol that word reminds me of Back to the future 3 in the cave... :D ) I will be winning a Haynes manual in around an hour from eBay, so it will be of help, but you're right when you say, the proper wiring diagrams would be the business. Any chance of a link? :lol:

When i have more time I will search for a FSM for the 940 and I need to catch my mate who's an auto electrician, and see what he has on it. 340pw

I had another hour on this tonight. I would like to have done more, but I cannot access the loom running to the fuel pump etc atm as the back is full of scrap, and to empty it would ideally require moving the car outside, but it's raining. So, tomorrow it shall have to be (rain or not).

Once I have what I need from the rear of the loom it will be time to start chasing out needless stuff and binning it to simplify the looms. :)

I dragged the loom through the N/S of the bulkhead which controls two of the ECU's from under the steering column and the side repeaters and dorr pins (not needed). One ECU has to be for the ABS as the loom branches off to the ABS pump, but like I said it wouldn't run without it yesterday. I'll get it.

Careful removal of the heater box aids access.
Much easier.
Liberated. It looks a lot simpler inside now. Although TBH wiring doesn't phase me, not since extending/hiding/slimming down the many complicated looms for my Primera.
I'm still not saying I fully understand it though! lol

These threee earths are required, That (unplugged) resistor box thing isn't, but two others from the same area are. (Not in pic as they were plugged in on the loom heaped in a plie lol)

Here's a couple of gayass short vids to prove it still runs. lol
I appear to have failed in showing how silent the engine is, no rattles, smoke etc. Yet my phone had made it sound like the cam is loose and I am revving the thing to like 6K :roll:
Unclipped airbox win. LOL.
Last edited by L14MNP on 20 Jul 2010 08:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 20 Jul 2010 08:32 pm

Squeeky belt?
send it back. :lol: