Turbo 360: More potential shell ruining lol

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Turbo 360: WTD - welding advice

Post by Chris_C » 22 Feb 2012 01:53 pm

Yeah, it made such a difference to me, I thought I was just inept!

Have you tried gluing some test bits out in the daylight? I wonder what difference that makes (all mine is in daylight, never tried indoors)
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

L14MNP

Re: Turbo 360: WTD - welding advice

Post by L14MNP » 28 Feb 2012 12:06 am

Chris_C wrote:Yeah, it made such a difference to me, I thought I was just inept!

Have you tried gluing some test bits out in the daylight? I wonder what difference that makes (all mine is in daylight, never tried indoors)
I glued my diff up in the garden during the day, that was simple enough, but again high power, uber obvious weld pool etc.

I'll give it a bash! I bought a clip on LED light and stuck it on the torch, seems to help a lot. I think i will adapt my uber lumens mini torch for the same use, hopefully that will be what I need,

Cheers mate.

I am working loads at the minute, it means little time for the car, but on the plus side, more money for it lol. So I am still amassing parts. it will all come together one day. Honest. :roll: Think I will order my 5 link and rear coilovers this/next week. 8)

Had a couple hours on it tonight, and got the other turret out. When I am not being a complete rtard, it seems I can remove then with no damage. Although tbf, the first one was needed to realise how it all comes apart It is a crazy thing, and not intended to be removed :lol:

I will get the ball rolling on the new turrets this week. I need to find somewhere to roll steel for me and add a flange. What would be best, 3mm?

Here's a few pics of the removal. Boring stuff, but mostly here so my mate can try and get his head around it. Plus, who knows, it may come in handy for someone repairing a car at some stage.

As can be seen, the flanged section of the turret locates and ensures correct rotation with the inner wing via these notches.
No doubt it is just me, but since repairing a few spot weld holes, tidying up after removed brackets etc the bay is looking a lot tidier. I reckon it's mostly down to those sub-standard turrets being gone though. I will not know myself when I have some once again - and even an attached front panel. :shock:

I don't have a pic of anything prior to that above. What I done was chop the turret out, leaving a couple of inches, then cut and flap wheeled this down until I could see the where the two skins butt against each other, then split with the chisel and it was off (would have used this as a starting point for the new turrets, but I still had a huge gap at the back). As can be seen, it is not part of the inner wing at all I knew it couldn't be, It does a fucking good job of looking that way though.

Also appears to be held in by upward force and seam sealer. Nice. No wonder they bend at the flange.

I now have more access than a mother fucker for making a nice job (well, attempting to!) of the repair patch under the fuse box and to plate the (now unwanted) extra loom hole made for the turbo conversion. :)
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982