Turbo 360: More potential shell ruining lol

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Turbo 360: Doin' it right.

Post by volvosneverdie » 25 Nov 2011 06:18 pm

L14MNP wrote: :roll: :lol: It will have two seats.
Sensible man, I like it.

More room for shoppin and whatnot.

You gonna swap the drivers door barrel with the passenger door barrel while its off the road?

Ive heard a lot of folk say how awesome opposite locks are in these old Volvos.......

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 25 Nov 2011 06:30 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:You gonna swap the drivers door barrel with the passenger door barrel while its off the road?

Ive heard a lot of folk say how awesome opposite locks are in these old Volvos.......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 25 Nov 2011 07:03 pm

LMAOHYOUFUNNYMAN :D
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 25 Nov 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Laim.
Your putting a lot of dedicated work in there mate. Well done.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 25 Nov 2011 11:44 pm

I'd never dare drive it after putting that much work in!

keep it up, gonna be really good when it's done, can't wait to see it all being rebuilt... ready for summer?
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 26 Nov 2011 09:38 pm

MCHUDD wrote:Hi Laim.
Your putting a lot of dedicated work in there mate. Well done.
Cheers Mark.
You always call me Laim :lol:

Thanks mate. Should be fun when done.
Nimminz wrote:I'd never dare drive it after putting that much work in!

keep it up, gonna be really good when it's done, can't wait to see it all being rebuilt... ready for summer?
You can't?! I'm kinda looking forward to that stage also :lol:. I want it ready for summer, but even when putting in loads of hours, these things have a habit of dragging on longer than intended. I will do my very best, but I was saying to a mate, even if it isn't ready to use then, as long as it's heading in the right direction - which I know it will be then - I will not be too disheartened. I'd rather do a good job than a quick job!

It's 'only' been off the road since the end of last November, so it's not too bad imo. Can't wait to start bolting shiny bits on!

After a fcuk on with Barclays today, and some skirting board and flooring action, I finally got some time on the car this afternoon.

Seat rails welded in;

Now I have two. :D

I done some other stuff too, but it isn't worth mentioning lol. Oh yeah, I also put down a 10% deposit at AAS. My spot is now officialy booked. :lol:
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 26 Nov 2011 09:43 pm

Awesome.

Laim?

Lol, top diss.

Lookin good. Even if it takes till next summer, it will only increase the coolness.

Be good to see it at the Pump Station like. We could even push it?

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 26 Nov 2011 11:45 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:Awesome.

Laim?

Lol, top diss.

Lookin good. Even if it takes till next summer, it will only increase the coolness.

Be good to see it at the Pump Station like. We could even push it?
Laim/Limp :evil: :lol:

Needs some wheels on before we can do that mate, let's not get ahead of ourselves!
Dom Torretto wrote: Couldn't even tow that across the finish line.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 27 Nov 2011 08:30 pm

John said i could come and chop some sections out of 'that' 343 this afternoon, so I had a run over for a couple of hours.

My scuttle ends are gone, one is holed through on the A pillar, and shot on the bottom, the other is just gone on the bottom. :evil: Luckily this rot box is pretty decent in those areas.

I also robbed the front valance, as I may use the middle section to convert my NOS mk3 panel to a mk2 affair, and I removed the roof skin cos I need some sheet steel. :lol: It will come in handy to patch my floor and sills.

Dead!

Thick! The O/S lower A pillar (hinge section) has a few skins and put up quite a fight, even though my weapon of choice was a 9" grinder with diamond cutting disk - IME these are immense for chopping up cars.

Yoink!

She will live on in some ways as I have the bumpers, screen surrounds, some repair sections etc and Hell Driver has the interior and doors that it ended up with - I have the original doors now. :lol:

My O/S scuttle/A pillar after a bit of a prod on the bubbling under the paint.

I knew it would have holes there, since seeing a 340 in the scrappy with the same issues.
Luckily it is only the top skin.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 01 Dec 2011 11:05 am

Hi mate.
Sorry about the Liam thing, must have got crossed wires somewhere.
I take it a 343 restro on not on the cards then :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was good of john to give you all that metel.
Cheers Mark.

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 05 Dec 2011 10:36 pm

No bother Mark. Nah, that's definitley one car for the pile! :lol:

Haven't touched this in the last week, due to my decent grinder dying, then my Calor gas fire and me being a bit under the weather since Friday. :/

Had a couple of hours on it tonight, even though I really didn't feel like it. I am determined not to be farting on with this car when the weather turns nice though, so on we go.

Shook the Gumtree, and it dropped some fruit a couple miles from my door;

Can't be robbed for a tenner! :D it's barely been used and is a newer model than the one it replaces. Score.
The Powerfile didn't come with it :lol: This is something that I have been wanting for a while. but didn't know the name :oops: . It will come in verrrrry handy!

The deed old skool one. RIP my friend.

Now, as I still seem intent on removing more and more from this shell - and adding back very little - I attacked the worst bit on the car.

Here it is after a bit of digging with the wire brush on the grinder;
This showed no holes at all when the car was complete, and looked very solid. :roll:

After a bit of diseased section removal;
Double and triple skinned in places, and all fucked.

How I left it;
All rot gone now. I also removed just the surface rusted areas, I want as much out as I can (justify).

I'm looking forward to fixing that(!) The O/S/F is similar too. Thank FUCK the bulkhead is solid (surface rusted lip in centre of last pic). Oh well, not much cutting left tbh, then it's weld weld weld.

Rust has no place on my car! :evil:

Liam.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 06 Dec 2011 12:42 am

Yep, mine was gone there too. I cut the thick reinforing plate inline with the car, repaired the inner arch and welded back up again. Nice to weld something that doesn't blow holes so easily.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 06 Dec 2011 04:01 pm

FERM POWER!!!!

Bye bye rust. Hello new metal.

Good work man.
Isambard Kingdom Brunels just been on the phone. He said hes sad to see that his old Gas fire has given up the ghost.

L14MNP

Re: Turbo 360: Now with climbing frame

Post by L14MNP » 07 Feb 2012 10:55 pm

Boom!

I suck at updating this/generally being online. :lol: The main thing for me though, is that I keep working on the car. So it's all good (imo).

Right, many thanks to FJ and his awesome Portamig - with proper regulated gas! The car is pretty much patched up now, save for a few areas. John rewelded my seat rails, went over a load of patches I had done, and we have done a lot of patching since, including repairing the horror of the last post.

I am almost reluctant to post all of this, as it makes my car come over as a basket case/seive/teabag/pear - take your pick! It's really not. A lot of this is just to replace the bonded in 'drainage' plates.

Been keeping up with the shiny thing purchasing too. :D

Anyway, everyone likes pics: (upon looking through my phone, it seems I don't have many of the repairs LOL) Suffice with some new additions instead then! Will add the other pics later.

I was pleased with this at first. Let the new steel in nice and level, then ballsed it up by allowing the powerfile to dig in and thin it out in places. Needs doing again now lol.

As can be seen, I have trimmed back the rib things. Still plenty strength there imo.

Dunno where the repaired pic is.

Again, I haven't took a completed pic it would seem.

Unsure why I took this lol

It's all been took back to bare metal/zinc primed underneath/in arches now, but guess what? That's right. No pics.

etc etc etc YAWN.

B234 16v cylinder head 8) Courtesy of FJ. This is for the big power forged engine I am going to build once the car is back on the road with the 8v.

My JDM tight chin spoiler

Fibreglass Imola passenger seat and alloy side mounts

6 pt 3" harnesses. I have two pairs.

This is the colour I am thinking of having the shell painted. Just rattled canned this arch repair section (which I don't think I need) and laquered it to see what I make of it. Results are 80% positive so far lol.

Here's something a bit more interesting:

Lost this

Gained this. :D

REALLY makes me want to be able to use thing thing very soon! The cage is a work of art. I expected no less, the welds and sill boxing are very impressive.
If I have any complaints, it is that I was told it ould be tight to the pillars - which it is where possible - the A and B pillar upper sections have room for the holed gussetting which I really like, but was told there would be no room for. I would rather have a tighter fitting cage than that tbh. The reasons we think it isn't as tight as it could be to the upper pillars are because it is at the bottoms and it would mean more bends = less strength. I don't mind. I fucking love it tbh!

Now for a question. Ronnie and I decided to raise the turrets ages ago bu cutting them flat and leaving a few inches, then welding full turrets from a donor car on top, but they wouldn't fit properly and needed a patch on the back, combined with the fact we used C02 without a regulator and my MIG was having wire feed issues, means they are not very good.
So, owing to the simple, flat design of the inner wing - and the fact the turrets seem to want to separate from the car without being asked, I have decided to remove them completely, and have some custom ones fabricated. This is better for the coilover top mounts too.

The problem I have though, is I cannot remove them lol. The back part came away without issue when we initially cut my turrets off, but the rest appears to be part of the inner wing pressing, which is surely impossible?

This must die (or it will kill me)

After some chopping etc

This where the issue lies

It seems to just be pressed in, so I bent the lip back and was assuming I would be able to presuade it out of the hole, but no. It seems to (on LHS of pic) be part of the inner wing. Very confusing. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking, Liam.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

mat_91

Re: Turbo 360: Now with climbing frame

Post by mat_91 » 07 Feb 2012 11:14 pm

just cut the hole lot out and tub the lot haha