Derrick the Volvo! Update P47

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Derrick the Volvo! Propshaft progress, P43

Post by Chris_C » 31 Jan 2013 12:15 am

Pretty swarf maker you have there!

So, todays bit is a flange, that you've slide over the RX8 prop? Are you using the 340 ends you've pressed out TIG'd into one of those flanges? I'm trying to get my head round it, but I think your plan has legs!

RX8 prop is carbon with UJ at one end from the pics, how is length adjustment done?
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 31 Jan 2013 08:50 am

Darker yellow would work better.

Also:
You're dripping your fluids all over that flange.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 31 Jan 2013 10:20 am

Flange

*titter*
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 31 Jan 2013 05:35 pm

HA Flange sounds like vagina. :|

Chris, the rex prop has UJs both ends, but one yoke is the spline, the other a flat plate. The splined end slots into the gearbox, and the flat plate bolts to the diff. I assume the spline slides in and out of the gearbox end which compensates for the change in length.

The plate in those pics is effectively an adapter so I can make two identical flange plates with the 340 splines in, and bolt them up. It'll be 3 piece in the end. Everything is ready for TIG now, which will be done tomorrow morning. I won't be doing the welding, as we aren't allowed to weld at uni, and I also can't TIG weld. The prop flange is all ready, once thats been welded on there won't be any left to do on that. The two spline flanges, once welded will be trued up and faced off. Then I can drill the PCD holes and fit it!! We'll see how it balances up on the car first quickly and then get it balanced if needs be.

Spline end cut off leaving enough to locate the plate to be welded on.

Plate put on the other end to check the bolt hole PCD, fits perfect.

All waiting to be welded. . .

Tomorrow will hopefully at least see them welded up. Then it's just a case of truing the spline plates and drilling the PCD.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 31 Jan 2013 05:56 pm

Nice job.

Be *very* careful with how you fit the splines. My task at the moment is doing away with those silly 3 part spline sections (as you could if you think about it, might well be work doing too... but you would likely have to either make your own internal splines or find something to pike).

At least you can do that later if you find you need it too, as it would be just making new adapters.

Advantage to this solution at least is RX8's are currently cheaper than 300's as they are all blowing engines and no one loves them as much as 7's :lol: :lol:
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
Ex:

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 31 Jan 2013 06:14 pm

Cheers. Yeah I will be careful. If they aren't true they aren't going on!! Spline replacement wise I remember accidentally finding volvo 760 splines are the same. I need to find a prop somewhere and confirm it though. But you're right, I can always make different flange plates if needs be.

The props are easily available on ebay (where I got mine). Some charge 90-100 quid, I got mine for £25!! New from the dealer they are £1200 :shock: Only trouble is they're no service-able UJs. I'll look into swapping them over at some point if I get to it, so they can be replaced.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 31 Jan 2013 07:44 pm

340 auto I believe is same spline but not cut though it's just slid on. As gearbox and diff are separate units on the cvts. Auto prop might do trick.
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 31 Jan 2013 07:56 pm

Thats a point. Auto props have a spring instead to "locate (?)" It. I nearly bought a few, wasnt sure if they were the same spline. Im hoping to run for Anglesey next weekend, should be done in time.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 31 Jan 2013 08:16 pm

i can check it tomorrow if you like, have both props in the garage and probably a bellhousing+tailpiece flying around too to check

this does sound really interesting, you can go for much smaller flanges than these though, 4 or 5mm flanges are thick enough; i am slightly worried though; the contact area's do seem a bit roughly milled, this can reduce friction and getting more force on the bolts than you want, i'd run them again in a lathe with a brandnew cutting plate, taking 0,05mm off at a time on the automatic mode. that makes sure the flanges are the same surface and that should increase the friction, you want the individual friction between the plates to give a strong propshaft, not letting it depend on 4 bolts holding everything together

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 31 Jan 2013 08:34 pm

Yeah that'd be cool Anjo. Just for curiosities sake. I know what you mean about the surface, it did cross my mind. I'll do that before I get it welded on. New tool will be used! The flange on the prop is staying at around that thickness because of the dimensions. The actual spline ones, once welded will be turned down so I can true them to the spline. They'll be around 8mm thick when done. Might go thinner like you suggested.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 31 Jan 2013 08:51 pm

The CVT is a coarse sline as where the manual is a fine spline so the pops can not be swapped over.

I'm watching this thread as you are doing some bits the way I was thinking about but not the same.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 31 Jan 2013 08:56 pm

you can calculate the flange as a single piece when it's bolted together (friction inbetween the plates should be nearing the strength of a single piece when it's bolted together), so it will definatly be enough; also saves quite a bit of weight on the rotational mass and that's added bonus :D

on lorry's there's a X-pattern milled in te flanges for extra strenght, difficult to make (well, to let it match perfectly) and probably not necassary for our use, those propshaft flanges are around 20cmø and each 15mm thick to give you an idea

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 02 Feb 2013 11:21 pm

Progress has been made on the prop, faced off again like Anjo said, nice slow cut and lots of coolant, an it's now welded to the props's UJ.

The splines have also been welded to the plates, but ran into a wall when I realised I didn't have a spare output spline to bolt them to so I could true the faces to the splines. I thought I had one in the garage tucked away somewhere, but it went with a load of other scrap awhile ago. If anyone has one going spare I could borrow, that's be a massive help!

Also, this turned up in the post . . .

Which turned out to be a fire extinguisher. Pricey, but I didn't want to skimp on something I could potentially be relying on to save the car.

I mounted it on the central bulkhead, behind the seats

Added a warp drive function too . . .

which is actually the horn. I'd already done "Ejector Seat" a while back, figured that this was the next step. :lol:

Labelled up the gauges

and got them all powered and working. The voltage and oil pressure gauge work fine, but I'm unsure how to get the correct signal to the ammeter. I've got a mate who's an electronics guru so we'll be sorting that soon. I also found the headlights draw a catastrophic amount of voltage, so I'll probably wire in some relays in the near future.

Still on the cards is an oil/filter change and a smaller (and not rusty) air filter. Should give enough clearance for the strut brace bar. Anglesey one week tomorrow! It's come around fast!
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 03 Feb 2013 12:35 am

Strange, I've lost a clutch shaft recently too. Wonder if they have legs...

Ammeter, I dislike them solely for the reason of how you need to wire them up, http://www.houlihane.co.uk/amps.htm gives a fairly good explanation. You need man sized wires going into and out of it. Just make sure those man wires are safely grometted, and fused (using real life maths)
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
Ex:

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 11 Feb 2013 07:31 pm

Cheers for that link Chris, it seems to be able to explode quite easily? Hmmm.

Theo is sorting me out with an output shaft once he's recovered from illness, so that should see the prop progress carrying on.

A few more additions to the car, got a new QR boss. (Expensive, but stiff as you like, didn't want it snapping off in my hands mid-drift!)

Which spaces the wheel a bit closer now, and meant I could fit the Nardi horn push

Got a new air filter, lower so should clear a strut brace with ease, and not rusty (it is however BRIGHT YELLOW, so it won't be staying. It was a choice of red, blue, green or yellow, I figured I'd go for the one that matches the rocker cover for now!)

Gave the strut brace mounts a coat of black (tidying up of the strut towers to commence very soon!)

and I plumbed in a swirl pot and secondary pump (another job is to re-spray the rear end, as a can of rockstar exploded during an "enthusiastic round-a-bout maneuver", and won't come off.

I've also just come back from Anglesey for a drift day, which was bloody wet but very good fun! Got some good tips of a guy who helped run the day, had the hairpin dialled.

May have over compensated with the amount of tyres needed though . . .

The drive there was ok but the drive back was a little sketchy. Bad rain, spray, fog and snow through the long 5 hour slog through the night. I also had battery problems, which I put down to (for now) the fans being on all day cooling the engine, and sapping power. Alternator was enough to run the car but not top up the battery. After a good few hours on the motorway everything is now fine.

Snow at the last fill up.

A screen grab from one of the vids. Theres a lot to sift through so I'll do some editing and pop some up when I'm done. My mates got a fair few photos as well, so I'll sling those up too.

Apart from the electrical issues he did bloody well! No other problems at all. I might put thicker oil in it next drift day, as the oil pressure was quite low after a good few hours of none stop drifting!
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.