Derrick the Volvo! Update P47

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
jon-ovlov

Re: Derrick the Volvo!

Post by jon-ovlov » 19 May 2012 07:46 pm

Ha ha, speedy's got a point. Everyone on our course had to do some training, for prep for final year projects, just in case they needed to use them. Nobody seems to bother using the machines now though.

I just kept going back asking if I could use the machines over summer. It began with them being in the same room, just in case I destroyed my arm in a lathe, but after a while they just let me get on with it. Now I can come and go as I please, which is really cool! During the summer and next year they are re-arranging the whole workshop, so a larger composite area can be done. Looking forward to that.

I've put a word in with a lad who's breaking a MK2 340 as I'm after the front wings, so I can make some moulds and then some GRP front wings out of them. Just awaiting pics to see if they're good enough. Apparently they are, but want it confirmed first! :lol:
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 30 May 2012 11:36 pm

Well, since not much has happened with the car for awhile, thought I'd take YET MORE pictures of him, in various locations. WOW.

Coil-overs are still in the making, MOT is up on Friday :S so I'll be getting stuff sorted for that. Already done the windscreen washers (made a bracket to hold them in, so I can still remove the bonnet fully, without faffing with hoses). Also need some welding on the rear jacking point, and I've got a new master cylinder to go in, as well as getting the hydro and braided lines plumbed in too. The braking stuff will wait until the MOT is done, unless he fails on the brakes! :lol:

Went to brean sands, making the most of the brilliant weather . . .

So, met up with Speedy and the bristol RR gang at cribbs causeway cruis (yeah, I know . . .) but it was awesome. I didn't realise how many cars there would be, as I drove around (looking proper lifestyler" as I drove around trying to find them with tyres on the roof), people were staring, taking pictures, the lot. COULD NOT BELIEVE the turn out. Managed to find them, and parked up. Gave speedy his wheels back . . .

LOADS of people . . .

and some cool cars . . .

We soon hot footed it off, was getting too "fast and furious" for us :lol:

I then went out for a chilled bit of this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... =2&theater

I'll let you know how my MOT goes!
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

charlieog1243

Post by charlieog1243 » 31 May 2012 09:36 am

I then went out for a chilled bit of this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... =2&theater

nice bit of practice dude :D cars looking sweet!

Nimminz

Re: Derrick the Volvo! (PICS P41, LOTS)

Post by Nimminz » 31 May 2012 10:54 pm

Niice, wish i could find somewhere like that near me!

How'd you fit your tow strap?
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 31 May 2012 11:55 pm

Cheers Matt! Yeah, Bristol is pretty wicked like that, I'm very lucky!

The tow strap I fitted on the CVT vent where the bumper bolts to. Conveniently, there's a hole already there, so just popped a bolt through that and modified it and the bumper a lil bit to fit it ok.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 01 Jun 2012 01:21 pm

Hi jon
car is looking great.

All you uni boys should join you OTC. That way you would even get paid for going :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 01 Jun 2012 06:43 pm

Oh aye 'cos you wont have the bumper bolts in with your snazzy clips. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in teh bar that goes between the 2 sides of the original towing eye and mounting it there. will see how much thread the bumper bolts have in them and see if i can do it there like but I think the mk3 bumpers cut under a lot more.

Durham < Bristol for drifty places :(
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 01 Jun 2012 08:06 pm

I didn't use the original bumper bolt locations. On the funnel where the mounting points are, on the top there is a hole, about M10 diameter. I bolted it through there and made a small cut out on the bumper for the tow strap to poke out of.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 01 Jun 2012 09:29 pm

Ahhhhh Right, sounds like a plan then :) Not copying u honest, mine's grey :lol:
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 01 Jun 2012 10:33 pm

Great snaps jon.

me likey a lot!

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 01 Jun 2012 11:01 pm

MCHUDD wrote:Hi jon
car is looking great.

All you uni boys should join you OTC. That way you would even get paid for going :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mark.
Cheers guys! Plenty more shots to come I'm sure :lol: Mark, thanks for the comment, what's the OTC?

Matt no problem, there's no copyright . . . yet.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 01 Jun 2012 11:17 pm

Officers Training Corp?

car looks awsome...as ever

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 02 Aug 2012 01:07 pm

Cor, haven't updated this for a lil while!! Car's been running great, no drift days, just going to and from work every now and then and driving about. I then managed to get all the brake parts together to do a full brake overhaul:

Master cylinder
Braided lines
New RH caliper (old one had seized)
Copper pipe and fittings
Hydraulic handbrake

So at A52 at the weekend I cracked on with these, with help from my mates. So, we began by taking off the old hoses

Then whipped off the MC, which turned out to be the wrong one. . .

So no bother, popped the old one back on, and cracked on with the rest of the stuff. To fit the Hydro's mounting plate, we had to take the carpet up, so since we were doing that, we whipped the rest of the sound deadening out too.

Once that was done, I welded the plate I made (10mm thick steel, with holes drilled and tapped to bolt the hydro to) onto the trans tunnel. Once cool, sprayed it with zinc primer.

Popped the carpet back and mounted the hydro and fitted the new brake lines . . .

Once the seats and bits were back in . . .

We started bleeding the brakes,which was ok until we found various sizeable leaks in the lines (cheap pipe flaring tool, never again) and the master cylinder wasn't sealing any more.

A deadline (insurance up at midnight) meant I was getting pretty irate, and we ended up being up until 2 in the morning trying to get the brakes to bleed properly, with no hint of them doing so. Everybody helped, but the man power just wasn't enough!

My face says it all really . . .

couple that with robin's face . . .

well it sums up our feelings. I left the car at A52, where he still is, waiting for an MC (hopefully the right one!) to be delivered. It was supposed to be delivered today, but a delivery error at GSF means I won't get it until tomorrow, and it won't be done for a little while now due to work. I had a day off today and all! :evil:

An upside however is I had to find a newer insurance company, as FJ no longer insure under 25s on classic car insurance. I was panicking, as for a heavily modified car like mine I was getting quotes of 1000+, not what I was expecting when I was previously paying 400. Luckily found Graham Sykes and with everything delcared (engine swap, hydro, lowering etc) I'm paying a little over 450. :D So I'm chuffed. Got RR gathering to look forward to as well, so should all be ok!
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Nimminz

Re: Derrick the Volvo! (Brakes and woes)

Post by Nimminz » 02 Aug 2012 04:34 pm

Know what it's like working to deadlines and up till 2 am, still, when its done it will be good!
I'm fancying a hydro for mine next
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Derrick the Volvo! (Brakes and woes)

Post by volvosneverdie » 04 Aug 2012 10:14 pm

That face shot says it all man. Dont think Ive seen a pic of you not smiling before.
Insurance drop bonus proves karma is real!
Cereal.

Well done for keeping the faith and the workrate up.
Thats an awesome machine.

Built. Not bought. And Not abandoned. And Not Bored of.
8)