Nimminz' LSD GLT Daily - Part1

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
wiganer31

Re: Nimminz' LSD GLT Daily

Post by wiganer31 » 10 Nov 2012 01:05 am

Welding in the rain is fun :lol: work on the exhaust looks great

Cheers

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 10 Nov 2012 06:27 pm

Cheers mate

Its not perfect, the backbox hits off the axle and its an inch too short in the middle. Only way to keep it from rattling was to clamp the centrebox to the torque tube which meant the exhaust bends near the gearbox are touching the heatsheild (if it was longer it would sit inside the heatsheild) Still, now it's only blowing a little bit out the downpipe - new gasket needed - i can hear what it will sound like once done. Its pretty loud but nice, makes nice pops and bangs when you just rest your foot on the throttle going down a hill with the engine slowing you down (the exact word to describe this situation escapes me at the mo)

Lost a wheel stud and nut the other day, i'd changed dampers a while back to Dai's adjustables and i did tighten the wheel nuts but never checked them after driving for a day or two. So wheel nuts come lose and as i was trying to finmd somewhere to pull in and tighten them (i could feel the wheel wobbling) i lost a stud. Luckily its on rear wheel that needs a new bearing so i can do 2 jobs in one.

Clutch is starting to make horrible noises, release bearing i'm pretty sure. Also found the input shaft bearings in the gearbox are buggered and make bad noises too. Diff also needs taking apart to fix the leak, it's hardly affecting the level - i keep it topped up, only ever needs a tiny bit every few weeks - Don't want anything to happen to the LSD.

Gearlinkages are also coming apart, cable ties keep having to be replaced so need to make a more permanent soulution, without welding in the car or dropping the torque tube.

Replaced the ignition leads on tuesday runs nicer now. Coolant leak from top radiator hose which is the hose starting to crumble and also a leak from the waterpump - which i have a spare and gasket, o-ring etc. Fitted a new radius arm mount to replace the one where the cups had rotted off. Fixed banging noises and car feels much better. Also fitted speedo E-clip at same time as mine never had one since i got it.

Loads still need doing but i really dont want the car off the road any more.

Any ideas on the clutch noise? whirring when the clutch is up in neutral, could it possibly just be from the gearbox?

I'll try and get some pics up of what the backbox looks like and stuff
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

mattywatsit

Post by mattywatsit » 10 Nov 2012 07:24 pm

Nimminz wrote:Cheers mate

Its not perfect, the backbox hits off the axle and its an inch too short in the middle. Only way to keep it from rattling was to clamp the centrebox to the torque tube which meant the exhaust bends near the gearbox are touching the heatsheild (if it was longer it would sit inside the heatsheild) Still, now it's only blowing a little bit out the downpipe - new gasket needed - i can hear what it will sound like once done. Its pretty loud but nice, makes nice pops and bangs when you just rest your foot on the throttle going down a hill with the engine slowing you down (the exact word to describe this situation escapes me at the mo)

Lost a wheel stud and nut the other day, i'd changed dampers a while back to Dai's adjustables and i did tighten the wheel nuts but never checked them after driving for a day or two. So wheel nuts come lose and as i was trying to finmd somewhere to pull in and tighten them (i could feel the wheel wobbling) i lost a stud. Luckily its on rear wheel that needs a new bearing so i can do 2 jobs in one.

Clutch is starting to make horrible noises, release bearing i'm pretty sure. Also found the input shaft bearings in the gearbox are buggered and make bad noises too. Diff also needs taking apart to fix the leak, it's hardly affecting the level - i keep it topped up, only ever needs a tiny bit every few weeks - Don't want anything to happen to the LSD.

Gearlinkages are also coming apart, cable ties keep having to be replaced so need to make a more permanent soulution, without welding in the car or dropping the torque tube.

Replaced the ignition leads on tuesday runs nicer now. Coolant leak from top radiator hose which is the hose starting to crumble and also a leak from the waterpump - which i have a spare and gasket, o-ring etc. Fitted a new radius arm mount to replace the one where the cups had rotted off. Fixed banging noises and car feels much better. Also fitted speedo E-clip at same time as mine never had one since i got it.

Loads still need doing but i really dont want the car off the road any more.

Any ideas on the clutch noise? whirring when the clutch is up in neutral, could it possibly just be from the gearbox?

I'll try and get some pics up of what the backbox looks like and stuff

Overrun?

Sounds good though - will need to see it again in the future mate! need to hear that exhaust ;)

sven360

Post by sven360 » 10 Nov 2012 09:49 pm

Nimminz wrote:
Thrust bearing.
Presume it disappears when clutch dipped?

Trust your topping the diff up with limmy oil?
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 10 Nov 2012 10:53 pm

overrun - thats it :)

Its a brand spanker the thrust bearing :/ still got the old one like
Atchi said standard 80w90 would be ok ...
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

sven360

Post by sven360 » 10 Nov 2012 10:54 pm

Clutch or torsion diff.
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 10 Nov 2012 11:26 pm

not entirely sure mate

edit:
miniswift wrote:... It will be Helical/Torsen LSD ...
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 27 Nov 2012 10:57 pm

So since last time i posted on this:

13th nov - got some snazzy wheel nuts and longer studs from mattywatsit
20th nov - started fabbing up some mounts for rover 600 turbo half leathers
Last night i picked up a full set of wheel bearings and new brake shoes off Liam and Liam's old leaf springs off Mattywatsit :)

Today i decided it was about time i changed the waterpump. It's been leaking for months but last couple of weeks its been at a rate of about a liter a day

So too it all apart, radiator out then fan off then pulley off. I removed all the bolts out the pump but the very last nut ... I dropped it. Cany you guess where it dissapeared into? The timing belt casing. Bugger. So PAS belt off, big bolt and washer out the crank pulley and ....... The pulley's stuck. Tried the usual levering with screw drives and hitting with hammers but it still wouldnt budge, even got the jack out and tried that but it lifted the car while the pulley stayed in place. Have sprayed penetrating oil in there tonight will put a bit more in tomorrow and see if she'll budge. Didn't really want to use it as the timing belts right behind. Tried one of those telescopic magnet things to get the nut out but its down under the intermediate shaft pulley so no way of getting it like that.

Also would not greasing the pressure plate splines when i put the clutch in cause the release bearing to make a noise? Sounds like a fucked one at the mo :/
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 28 Nov 2012 12:05 am

Whats makes you thin the release baering is fucked?

Can you not drill a hole (carefully) in the timing belt cover for the nut to drop through?

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 28 Nov 2012 12:20 am

Just sounds like one that's about to collapse, whirring sort of noise. It's a brand spanker so shouldn't be. Its in the arm spot on. Just i forgot to put a film of grease on the splines when fitting the clutch - it's the only thing i can think of. Still got me old one in the shed which is fine

I was gonna smash the cover off completely this afternoon but managed not to loose my temper too badly. I don't know exactly where it is in the casing. I still won't be happy even if i get it out without getting the crank pulley off - if its stuck on now, think what it would be like in a few years time when i do the timing belt again.
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 28 Nov 2012 12:53 am

Ah, its seized on since you did you headgasket/timing belt?

The bearing doesnt rotate on the spline so not using any grease on that wont effect the bearing, just stop it getting stuck on i should think

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 28 Nov 2012 02:23 am

hmm, i meant the diaphragm spring 'bits'. its too late for me to think what they are called or if splines were the right word.

and yup, re-fitted it in the rain so am guessing that's why
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 28 Nov 2012 11:21 pm

Hey Matt,

Let me know what you want to do with LSD.
I need to know soon if you want to keep it or take it out as I will be starting my car build again in a new year!

Let's get costly month over first!

Cheers
Atchi

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 28 Nov 2012 11:59 pm

Is there space behind the pulley to get a bit of scaff pole in? Never fails me
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 29 Nov 2012 12:12 am

Pretty sure I'll be wanting to keep it mate, its that good!
Is the crown wheel a volvo part or was that made with the diff?
Yep costly month indeed :( roll on january!!

I'll be in touch soonish, am just really really busy at the mo. One week i'll try and find time to pop up :)

As for the waterpump - its on and working :D

Managed in the end to get the pulley off, the penetrating oil did the trick really then it was just a case of hammering alternate side till it finally came off. Copper greased now for next time :) Also found that the fan doesn't really like being painted. I have tiny flakes of paint all over my engine bay :D also started putting the hella grille together as i'v removed the oil cooler.

Now the major problem seems to be the rear wheel bearing which sounds like it's on the verge of collapse :/ Monday is the next time i have more than half a day free so should do it then. Clutch noise is worrying still. Bearing carrier is still leaking but will try do that at the same time as both wheel bearings and brake shoes and studs next week. Maybe double leaf

Then its on to the front end which needs new top mount bearings, I'll change the wheel bearings, put the polybushed bottom arms, other good radius arm bush cup on and do disks and pads and brake fluid change

After that general maintenance - door handle seals, boot seal, rocker cover gasket, new number plate, do the earthing on rear bulbs, few bits of body work.

Trying to get the car 100% so i can go on holiday in summer - a week driving round holland, maybe germany, belgium, france
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4