A hello and a not so new project...

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Speedy88

Re: A hello and a not so new project... need some help pls

Post by Speedy88 » 21 Jul 2011 03:15 pm

Humm, I think when the pump is engaged it needs a high pressure circuit of pipes to work correctly. So at idle/close to idle it returns almost as much pressure as it sends? It's 10M of rubber hose man, you won't regret buying it. Alot more malleable if you need to move it.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 21 Jul 2011 03:24 pm

T.J. wrote:Re fuel lines, I have a pipe cutter and bender, so I should be able to buy a longth of metal pipe and just feed it where the standard one goes. Not sure if I need to change the return or not, what do you guys think?
Funny thing is the engine is behaving like it's overfuelling.. there's lots of noise in the manifold like combustion.. I dunno. Gonna fix the plumbing and go from there. Also planning to take the pump wires into the car and run down the INSIDE of the floor.. Cowboys.. ffs

Was a shocking discovery though
if he was using the original diameter of the return pipe, then that would be a high chance that's causing the overfuelling

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 21 Jul 2011 05:55 pm

Chris_C wrote:
jon-ovlov wrote:Chris, the wire could be for the fuel pump? . . . must be.
I know.. but why there! ;)

I also used *almost* all a 10m reel of decent high pressure stuff in Fake.
Yeah Chris, exactly . . . WHY?! T.J., like you said, run it down the inside of the car, it's easier and safer.
volvodspec wrote:
jon-ovlov wrote:Looks like the standard plastic carb lines are being used still, thats terrible, they aren't meant to be pressurised beyond 1 bar,.
actually, these synflex lines will hold 10bar; it's the flow that's the problem. those thin lines are way to small for a 2.0

the 2-wired red heatsinked thingy is also attached to the brakeline, also a no-go.

if i were you, i'd tare all the electrics, exhaust and fuelling out and redo these properly and neat, as it's supposed to be. i wouldn;t spend another minute on getting this sorted out with the current material.
Ah right. I just assumed being carbed originally they wouldn't be good for higher pressure applications, but either way, they are waaaay too small for the williams. I'd take Anjo's advice and strip back and re-do it T.J., as you know exactly what you've done then. You don't want to do most of it, and then find out theres something else thats dodgy,especially finding out the hard way!

With the return pipe, I'd agree with that too. To much fuel being backed up or held in the fuel rail, and can't return quickly enough to the tank.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 26 Jul 2011 06:25 pm

Is 10M of hose definitely enough? I'm going to replace right up to the tank if it'll fit.
Found a place locally that sells it.. £40 for the lot
Trundle returns... Watch this space ;)

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 26 Jul 2011 08:52 pm

10m did me fine, with about 1m to spare. Go for 12m if it makes you feel a bit more comfortable.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 27 Jul 2011 03:59 pm

Something i noticed.. on my car the fuel lines run very close to the exhaust. But on the underbody photo in the haynes book, they are on the opposite side?
I'm looking at the 340, not the 360. Mine should be the same surely?
I was thinking it's a bad idea to have fuel lines there. Seeing as I'm replacing them, wouldn't it be better to move them over to the other side?

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 27 Jul 2011 09:10 pm

Mine run exhaust side, the originals did to, but they were routed through the chassis rail, which is what I've done for my 8mm fuel lines too. I attached the 8mm fuel line to the end of my old carb line, and pulled them through. So only a small length of hose is exposed.

Theres a pic in my thread page part way down showing my exhaust system, but you can see where my fuel lines go. They're held on by p clips, stainless self tappers holding them into the body.

http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... &start=240
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 28 Jul 2011 09:21 am

Ahh, thanks for the pic, least I know they're supposed to be on that side . Given the build quality of this car (or lack of) nothing can be assumed lol.

Where is your fuel pump though? Mine was going to be mounted under the car next to the sill before the pipes go into the chassis

EDIT Haaaaang on. Your exhaust goes under the rear axle. Mine doesn't :S it's going over the top. Thinking thats too close to the fuel pipe

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 28 Jul 2011 09:55 am

My exhaust is over axle and fuel pipe layout is similar to Jon's, mine are fixed right into the corner of the 360 tank well after they come out of the chassis rail so loads of room
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 28 Jul 2011 06:27 pm

Yeah my 'zorst is under axle. My pump is an in-tank one, bought off Adam (340GLT) on here. It uses a converted standard 340 sender. So long as it's secure, it should be fine under chassis. I'd make a simple panel to protect it though, from rocks and mud etc.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 29 Jul 2011 06:46 pm

More progress.. no pics yet I'm afraid

I've removed all the old hoses, pipes, bodges and 100s of cable ties. Getting sick of seeing luminous cable ties cos it usually means another bodge to sort out.

New return pipe is in, just gotta clip it up. Flow pipe is half in, filter is in.. I ran out of hose :( , It reaches into the engine bay, so I'll prob just buy a joiner to save getting another 5M length

Left to do... mount the pump, run the wiring down the car and hook everything up. Edit: also need to make the hole in the engine bay slightly bigger to allow for the bigger pipes

Oh, and I has a nice new fuse box for the efi and fuel pump

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 19 Aug 2011 05:48 pm

Finally an update.. Yes I know it's been ages, but I've been busy with stuff and have 2 other cars anyway , so no biggie.

Anyways, after a lot of plumbing, everything works again :)

Lets see...
Before :shock:

After sm40

I still have to put a few clips in, and run the fuel pump wire properly. But even just starting up and sitting still i could tell it was better. Idles smoother, it revs a lot faster.

jon-ovlov

Re: A hello and a not so new project...

Post by jon-ovlov » 19 Aug 2011 06:11 pm

Fan-chuffing-tastick lad! Great job.Looks a lot better. :mrgreen:
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 25 Aug 2011 06:08 pm

More updates..

Aside from the alternator wiring. I have a new problem (will it ever end), now the engine is rattling

After much brainstorming, I have only one theory. Before the pipes were changed it was massively overfuelling, maybe to the point of fuel getting past the pistons and into the sump (would also explain why the oil on the dipstick is really clear and runny). So I'll not be running it anymore until I can get the oil flushed out and changed.

Unless anyone has more ideas?

T.J.

Post by T.J. » 02 Sep 2011 02:43 pm

Today is a good day :D

The engine no longer rattles .. fresh oil has done the trick, so I guess my theory was right and fuel had got into the oil destroying it's lubricating properties. Now with a new filter and fresh oil it's running smooth and quiet again (apart from the exhaust ;) )
So thats one thing to smile about, but there's more. When changing the oil filter I pulled the wires off the regulator (they were bodged spade clips crushed with pliers anyway). Now they're back on, it's charging again. So my only guess is previous owner had them on the wrong way round. I'm off to the scrappy to get the proper renault plug so it can't fall off again.

Seeing as I was on a roll I thought I'd keep going.

Wrong sm45

Correct sm40

Should I be worried about this? It's only a small part of the cup and only one side (the other ones perfect)