Portly - B43 GHH (Picture Heavy)

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
miniswift

Re: Portly - B43 GHH (Picture Heavy)

Post by miniswift » 25 Jun 2012 11:03 pm

Hi,

I don't think rose joint will be good idea.
It will be god for race car and so on but for everyday car, you will be replacing more than you want.
Since you got poly bush, why don't you use it and fit MX-5 bolts?
You said that you family can help, then I get laser cut done and you need to weld 4 plate and slot where bottom arm is mounted. The you have adjustable bottom arms, easy!
I will design one soon for Matt, so you can buy off me and build one yourself.

Cheers
Atchi

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 25 Jun 2012 11:26 pm

miniswift wrote:Hi,

I don't think rose joint will be good idea.
It will be god for race car and so on but for everyday car, you will be replacing more than you want.
Since you got poly bush, why don't you use it and fit MX-5 bolts?
You said that you family can help, then I get laser cut done and you need to weld 4 plate and slot where bottom arm is mounted. The you have adjustable bottom arms, easy!
I will design one soon for Matt, so you can buy off me and build one yourself.

Cheers
Atchi
The thing is, because of the lowered nature of the car, the lower arms are at an extreme angle. I need to raise one end of the lower arm, and lower the other end to bring it back to near parallel to cancel out bump/roll steer. The only way i can see this being able to be done is with the use of rose joints, essentially a 'spacer' at the ball joint end, and then re-drilling the hole for the lower arm mount on the chassis. This will take one end down, the other end up and will bring the lower arm back to near parallel. I cant see how this can achieved using standard lower arms.

Thomas....................

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 25 Jun 2012 11:49 pm

Thats a massive amoumt of work done already, good to see it all in one on this thread!
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 26 Jun 2012 02:21 am

Hell Driver wrote:Thats a massive amoumt of work done already, good to see it all in one on this thread!
Cheers :) Funnily enough i had other threads on other sites, i just never got around to putting it on here.... im weird like that :roll:

Anyway, the night is still young, well, sort of. Rear light cluster earth problems sorted! WOOP :D And its only 2am... :oops:

Thomas..................

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 26 Jun 2012 02:41 am

looking good mate, im going have to attack my earth problem soon lol

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 26 Jun 2012 09:02 am

Hi,

I made my '68 Mini front suspension like you have said.
I moved everything up by 1" so before I do anything to suspension setup, it is already lowered.
You will need to modify bottom subframe rather than bottom arms. 300 are using struts right, so you can use either shorten one or move mounting hole like you did.
My suspensions are now fully adjustable fron and back... this is Mini talk!

Cheers
Atchi

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 26 Jun 2012 09:43 am

wiganer31 wrote:looking good mate, im going have to attack my earth problem soon lol
I would say its well worth doing, as just the bulb holder coming loose slightly and the bloody things stop working! The amount of times i've checked the lights, not working... jiggle the bulb holder, ooh look light comes on :roll: Now even if they come loose slightly the earth is always attached :D

miniswift wrote:Hi,

I made my '68 Mini front suspension like you have said.
I moved everything up by 1" so before I do anything to suspension setup, it is already lowered.
You will need to modify bottom subframe rather than bottom arms. 300 are using struts right, so you can use either shorten one or move mounting hole like you did.
My suspensions are now fully adjustable fron and back... this is Mini talk!

Cheers
Atchi

Sounds just like im thinking :) I need to get another 300 main/central cross member to attack before i do this conversion, as it'l be easier to work on it off the car. Then its just a case of some rose joints and more fab work. I dont mind having to replace the rose joints every so often if it brings all the angles back to where i want them. Its all give and take :)

Thomas....................

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 26 Jun 2012 05:05 pm

Feature worthy! I can see this in Retro Cars :)

Fantastic work Tom, lots of effort and commitment with those late nights, but its all been rewarded!

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 27 Jun 2012 01:22 am

Evoman wrote:Feature worthy! I can see this in Retro Cars :)

Fantastic work Tom, lots of effort and commitment with those late nights, but its all been rewarded!
Cheers :) I dont think its that good though :lol: Still got a massive dent in the front :roll:

Been busy today. Got the second bucket seat in, got all the harness eyes welded in, got both front struts off, driverside turret painted and sealed. Passenger side all torqued up. Smiths speedo cable in and had a go at grinding back and rolling the inner edge of the arch, which came out quite nicely :)

Got the new track rod ends on as well :)

Oh, heres the position of the steering wheel in relation to the seat now i've lowered it :) much better :D

Battery tray and cradle in :)

Harness eye plates ready to go :)

All welded in :) Can see at the top of this picture some strengthening around the handbrake. Bloody seam sealer ruined that idea.. its now ground back so looks much better :)

The floor layout, nice and simple :)

And then the passenger seat bucket mounted :mrgreen:

Thats all for tonight :) All most finished, cant wait :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not much left do. Paint inside the car and get the interior back in. Fix some rust on the inner arch, weld the exhaust together, lots of wiring: kill switch, starter button - this is actually needed now haha, i cant reach the keys when im buckled in :lol: And a few other bits and bobs :) Not long now!

Hope you all like :) Thomas........................

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 28 Jun 2012 03:05 am

Got a bit more done today :D Exhaust is nearly on. Needed work as its off a 1700 so we've modified it to fit the 1400 downpipe, and it works perfectly :) Just need to buy some slip joint clamps and jobs a good'n :D Not forgetting the gangsta tip on end :roll: Fixed some rust on the inner arch, got the radiator back flushed, fitted the header tank, got all the suspension on, tightened up although just waiting for my poly ARB drop links to arrive :) Painted the new bucket mounts and harness eyes etc. Got the carpet half in, needs finishing off tomorrow, finished off the earths on the rear lights and now they all work perfectly! :mrgreen: Sorted out the steering column bolts, one was a little too short and it was bugging me so changed that too :D Oh and while we were at it, almost welded the throttle cable to outer cable when tacking the exhaust :lol: got it all sorted though :D Got a few pics :)

Once the carpets fully in, i can wire in the killswitch, then the dash can all back in, seats in, interior trim etc. Some more wiring - starter button, number plate lights, extra gauges, And then its pretty much done :mrgreen:

Thomas........................

valman

Post by valman » 28 Jun 2012 01:16 pm

Epic thread! Nice of you to share, that's some awesome work. Any more room at Nevs for another apprentIce? ;)
Look forward to more from this, especially what you do about the wishbones. Mine are at a stupid angle too which makes bump steer a constant surprise :lol:
ImageImage

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 28 Jun 2012 10:39 pm

valman wrote:Epic thread! Nice of you to share, that's some awesome work. Any more room at Nevs for another apprentIce? ;)
Look forward to more from this, especially what you do about the wishbones. Mine are at a stupid angle too which makes bump steer a constant surprise :lol:
Cheers :) I wouldnt know, i dont work for him anymore, doing my own thing now :mrgreen:

Yeah the bump and roll steer needs to be sorted asap. Its pretty simple from what i can see, just need the money :)

Thomas..................

Benfraser

Post by Benfraser » 29 Jun 2012 12:52 am

Good work dude, thats coming along really well!!! :340:

Ben....

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 29 Jun 2012 03:17 am

Benfraser wrote:Good work dude, thats coming along really well!!! :340:

Ben....
Cheers :) Almost finished, so close! :mrgreen:

Right, got a little bit more done tonight! :D Carpet is pretty much in. Its only after you take the sound deadening out do you realise how thick it is and the carpet doesnt want to sit flat :cry: managed to pull it down though. It still needs sticking down in certain places as we had to cut it around the new seat mounts but it all looks pretty good :) Even got the rear passenger heater vents in too :lol: no idea why, why not? Got the centre console and associated gubbins in as well. All it needs now is the kill switch, starter button and the dash and everything else can go back in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also some more goodies arrived :mrgreen:

I had 30mins before i started work, 10mins to get there, left me with 20mins to fit them, job done :mrgreen:

The front can go back together finally now, apart from getting the tracking done. Its so close to finishing, i can almost smell it :twisted: :twisted:

Thomas........................

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 30 Jun 2012 12:11 pm

You think of doing a short shift on this to? Its quite easy to make, instead of buying
War isnt about who is right, but who is left