'Dorris' the 340

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
GulfPetrolHead

'Dorris' the 340

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 14 Aug 2014 11:01 pm

Dorris was the first of 4 (now 6) 300s and I still have her today, I drove her daily with an F7P for a while, before running into a series of problems... This lead to me loosing trust in the car as a relibale daily, taking her off the road and sourcing a standard 360 for daily duties. Dorris sat in the garden, a victim of nature, for at least 9 months. That was untill a few weeks ago, when the arrival of a tax rebate allowed me to get the garage cleared of crap and finally get started fixing her up. After my friends hinted a build thread would be a good idea it lead to the start of this thread.
Last edited by GulfPetrolHead on 06 Sep 2015 01:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Re: 'Dorris' the 340

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 14 Aug 2014 11:25 pm

When I first got her home she looked something like this
But a few weeks in she did her bellhousing, prop and gearbox.
She then melted one of her crank bearing shells, which called for a new F7P, which she did the same thing with in a matter of days. This lead to her time in the garden.
Then, last week I got her in the garage, up in the air, and dropped the bottom end of the old engine and the subframe out...
The plan now is to re-do her to the best of my, and my group of friends abilties... I've got a few tasty bits bought over her retirement for her Including some coilovers, Polybushes and an F7R to name a few....
Facebook.com/GotCorn

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 17 Aug 2014 01:12 pm

Like where this is going! Looks good. Check engine and gearbox mounts for prop alignment when it all goes back in...!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 30 Aug 2014 01:56 am

Not much progress due to work and a few days spent in Holland recently.. But I've finished Hammerite-ing the subframe/subframe componants and fitted polybushes in the wishbones and tie rods
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 02 Sep 2014 05:34 pm

spent a couple of evenings and some time today getting stuff done... I fitted the wishbones with the pu bushes in to the main subframe crossmember, mounted the rack back up again and fitted some of classic swede's extra lock track rod ends.
Then I removed the radiator, front bumper and lights ect to get better access to the bay and to clean up where they had been, stripped all the bits and pieces that were still in the bay, including the loom, and went to town with some de-greaser to get it all clean ready for paint
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 11 Sep 2014 11:56 am

So recent progress... well I cut down the bumper bar to save some weight and gave it a lovely coat of 'Corn Yellow' and test fitted it to check they were alined correctly. Then for the sake of it I fitted the Variomatic vents I'd picked up a while ago just to see how it looked.
The rest of the work has been goiin on underneath, I've started removin the box and diff, rear axle and suspension, tank, brake and fuel lines ect... ready to undercoat the shell.
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 05 Jul 2015 10:33 am

A lot has happened since the last update... Since then I have started to break my old daily 360GLT to get the majority of drivetrain and rear suspension assembly out, the plan has changed a bit too... The car is bassically a bare shell now and I believe I have found all of the rust it was hiding, not too bad in reallity... the inner wings have had all the brackets and mounts removed and she is now ready for welding.... found some nasty holes under the battery tray and coolant tank, behind the rear bumper and some on the slam panel and valance. It looks like at some point someone has tried (badly) to mount a seat straight to the floorpan so there are about 2million drill holes in the drivers floorpan and a few on the passenger side too, hopefully these can be patched but i will be cutting the floorpan out of my GLT just incase. The other obsticle is the dents in the roof that have been there since I owned her, I tried heating the roofskin with a blowtorch to 'pop' them out but no success, they will either ideally be removed or fillered over if need be, I even thought about maybe replacing the roofskin with a scrap cars one or attempting to make a fibreglass replacement, which would be okay if I run a cage I guess. Had some ideas for both the rear suspension and the engine side of things both of which will be different to the 'normal' route.
heres a picture to make up for the extremely long post.
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 09 Aug 2015 10:49 pm

So today I decided to clean up the front panel of the car and give it some paint, I had already removed the rust with a wire wheel, kurust treated the areas and then zinc primered them. Today they recieved an even coat of regular primer and then red hammerite (not colour matched as this area is covered by the radiator, grille, bumper, lights and bonnet mounts) but now it is all rust free and generally pretty
Facebook.com/GotCorn

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 10 Aug 2015 10:25 am

Hi mate.
Thats a lot of work your putting in. Good luck.
Chers Mark.
sm4 sm4 sm4 sm4

zack360

Post by zack360 » 11 Aug 2015 02:51 pm

looks like my model..except the bumper and tail light.
OWN:
89 Volvo 360 GLE
89 Volvo 360 GL
89 Volvo 360 GLS
05 Perodua Kancil L5 Single Cam Turbo

Owned:
01 Volvo S40 Phase 2 Turbo
84 Volvo 240 GL

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 30 Aug 2015 08:23 pm

Lots of nasty jobs recently, fully degreased and sanded the floor pan and stonechipped the rear half of the floorpan.
Then I went about drilling the topmounts out to allow me to fit Nissan S13 topmounts
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 25 Sep 2015 11:46 pm

So... Theres a few new bits and peices that have been done.
Firstly I took back the front brake calipers and carriers and gave them a lick of paint

Then I got to work painting the rear half pf the floorpan ready to put a rear end back in it, still awiating a clear coat though
Squeeky clean wheel arch

The front subframe and steering rack is all back in and connected up and I'm awaiting a solid steering coupling from Valentin in the post that will be fitted once the front subframe is removed for the front end to be painted.

I finally fitted my s13 topmounts to my coilovers, now just to get the original top mount holes welded in the turret top and hole saw the centre to alow access to the camber adjustment. New front wheel bearings, Mtec groved discs and lower ball joints have all arrived in the post ready for the front struts to be rebuilt and go in too.

I finished refurbing and fitted classic swede's PU bushes to my GLT leaf springs off of my donor car, to try and install a double leaf spring set up but have since decided against it due to the sheer amount of guesswork, approximation and lack of information on the subject. However, hopefully a suitable solution has been found... Watch this space.
Oh yeah some rear caliper cariers for Sierra rear discs have arrived from Madseb which will hopefully fit under 13"s.
My cool wheels selection has grown for the car too... Priorities and all that.
Facebook.com/GotCorn

360beast

Post by 360beast » 27 Sep 2015 05:00 pm

That is some great work so far, keep it up :)

Will you be runnjng injection if so itb's? Or carbs?

You're almost as much of a wheel whore as me lol

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 01 Oct 2015 11:12 pm

360beast wrote:That is some great work so far, keep it up :)

Will you be runnjng injection if so itb's? Or carbs?

You're almost as much of a wheel whore as me lol
The plan is to do a different engine swap to the norm and run it on my YZF1000 Mikuni carbs, but if that all goes pair shaped I have a B230FK sitting here that I'll throw in insted! I'm really happy with my little wheel collection!!
Facebook.com/GotCorn

GulfPetrolHead

Post by GulfPetrolHead » 06 Oct 2015 09:11 pm

I finally plucked up the courage to cut out the rust on my inner wing
Hoping to trim the replacement panel from my old 360 down to size and have it welded in either this weekend or next
Facebook.com/GotCorn