The story of my Volvo - Ongoing work in progress!

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
pyromaniac_yeti

The story of my Volvo - Ongoing work in progress!

Post by pyromaniac_yeti » 03 Nov 2014 01:35 am

A while ago I had a really clean red 1.7. I couldn't afford to run it anymore and needed funds to buy a van so sold it for next to nothing...never got a chance to do half the stuff I wanted to.

Skip forward three-four years and some muppet pulls out on me whilst running in the engine on the motorcycle I've spent all winter building. My arm got realy badly broken & even after a chunk of physio my left hand couldn't operate a clutch, so I had to start looking at cars again having not had one for a few years. Had a look around & found myself looking at the photo's of the old Volvo...turned out it was one of the only cars I could insure! Got on the internet & had a look for another 340 when one showed up...Gillingham? Great. I'll have that. Made arrangements to view, then realised there was a Gillingham that wasn't in Medway, Kent. D'oh...diddn't want to let the guy down & couldnt find another so I took the train down there to have a look & ended up buying this;

A grey 1.4 with lowering blocks, a welded diff & chopped springs.

I stripped it out;

The cat seems to appreciate his new bed/climbing frame;

Put a cheapy tacho in, diddn't want to blow it up.

Telltale seemed to think that it was revving to 7k+ which can't be good for it. Set about fitting a rev limiter.

Modified the renix to have two takeoffs for the coil. Not that the 2nd hand limiter I'd bought actually worked, so I bought an Accuspark item;

FItted some landrover dampers;

And some new wheels;

Rolled the arches myself with a heat gun, hammer and some patience;

No damage to the paint at all, I was quite pleased!

I bought Seb's old seats & fitted those;

And then swapped the wheel out for a Momo Peugeot 205 boss & an unbranded wheel;

I've grabbed a K&N air filter, and a new backbox that I need to fit & plan to re-paint the rocker cover as the paint is flaking. Get them fitted this week I hope, weather dependant. Master cylinder shat itself mid-week so spent my day off swapping that out & flushing/bleeding the entire car. Would also like to put a hydraulic handbrake in as the cable one is hopeless despite my attempts to adjust it!

Perhaps someone could advise on the hydro - where's good to put it, what's a good buy? Plumbing it in looks simple enough - but handle length & cylinder size seem to be varied depending on car/brake setup.

Cheers guys! :mrgreen:

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: The story of my Volvo - Ongoing work in progress!

Post by MCHUDD » 03 Nov 2014 07:07 pm

Hi mate.
Car looks well. You can fit a 1.7 or a 360 rev counter into that. It just replaces the clock.
The motor is already wired up for it.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69