Nimminz' 340 DL

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Nimminz

Nimminz' 340 DL

Post by Nimminz » 10 Sep 2017 12:39 pm

So my 2nd shot at 300 ownership. The car's a 1986 340 DL 1.4 in Red, because red cars are the best!

The car came with a welded 3.64:1 diff, 5-speed box fitted. 3" blocks at the back, chopped 3" springs at the front. OMP super dishy wheel and silly long gearlever

Since i got the car on the 21st August I have :
Fitted rear speakers, Replaced Thermostat, Adjusted carb to run nicer, Fitted new standard backbox, Standard wheels with new 165/65/13's. Fitted a new driver's door handle, Tightened the LOOSE bolts on the driveshafts and re-packed with grease. Fixed speedo drive. Fitted 2" Classicswede springs at the front, along with poly ARB droplinks and a set of gas shocks. Not had time to do the blocks. Gave it a good wash and a bit of a polish.

Image,Image,Image

So it might look like i'm putting the car to standard but no not really. The things im looking at in the future include a much more modern renault engine and Fuel injection. E-PAS would be nice, i have a corsa column already. A LSD would suit me more than the welded one but hey it's fun for now. I'm happy getting bits ready for the MOT on the 28th for now, and just enjoying having a fun car again.

I'll try keep on top of this thread, my instagram will be more up to date ... @nimsport
Thanks for looking
Matt
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

bogbasic

Re: Nimminz' 340 DL

Post by bogbasic » 10 Sep 2017 04:46 pm

Epic work.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 16 Sep 2017 05:59 pm

The last weeks been a bit quiet. Swapped the ridiculous gear knob for my mates snapped old E34 one. same time I had to adjust the reverse gate as 2nd gear was always a struggle, its sweet now. Rigged up a 12v fan heater to the rear screen as i reckon every line is broken. Fan works better but might need a bit of the parcel shelf shaving off. Its just cable tied in but i've been doing things really quickly in odd 5 mins, to try and make the car more daily-able while i'm daily-ing it.

Did manage a potter round our local scrapyard and found 2 potential engines. The first a K4J, 1400 16v in a megane - perfect! after a little more inspection it turned out it was the Sagem S3000 management. The other engines a K4M 1600 16v which is nearly definitely on Siemens Sirius 32 - The management i'm after. Guy in the yard said around £150 and i can take engine, ecu, wiring, body module, Immobilizer, keys, clocks the lot. Now i'd prefer to put in a 1.4 as the cars a 1.4 standard. But i am pretty sure a 1.6 won't be bad. I still know very little about Either management system, apart from diabling the immobiliser in the ecu programming. I know even less about the renault body control module or UCH as it's called. Its all CAN-BUS between immo, clocks, UCH engine management and everything. Lots to learn :D Big problems finding much info or even wiring diagrams.

I dug out the bits I had for EPAS conversion and it's not looking too hard, just need to work out how it all sits in the car. Be a while before that happens though

Had a strange lack of power under load, hardly starting but would rev up ok until load was applied. Traced it to the fuel cut / anti dieseling solonoid. Tested it straight off the battery and got nothing at all. So have just cut the end of the needle off, put the nozzle back on and screwed it back in. Now i don't get overrun fuel cut, which is a shame. Might strip the electrics for it all out and make it easy for someone else to use, it's just the valve that's gone.

So my next move is to check clutches and find a combination that'll work with the 340 tailshaft. Look more into this management and hopefully get some cash together and pull an engine and computers. Got rear dampers, torque rod bushes, rear blocks, track rod ends, bottom balljoints, centre exhaust section and some welding left to do before MOT later this month so will try find some time to do that. Exhaust, blocks and dampers would make the car much nicer to daily so might aim to do them first.
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 26 Sep 2017 12:05 pm

Hi Matt.
That looks low and mean.
Cheers Mark.
sm9 sm9 sm9 sm9 sm9 sm9 sm9

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 12 Oct 2017 11:19 am

Cheers Mark!

It's been off the road now since sept 28 when the MOT expired. Been welding the drivers inner wing, sill, floor, jacking point. Still got a bit to finish, and a little patch on the other inner arch. Few suspension bits and its going for test.
Bought some twingo RS 133 seats, 2" spring and block kit, polybushed arb links, already had the leaf spring polys. New dampers front and back. New water pump, old one was pissing out the shaft.

Also started gathering for the engine conversion, just bought a Siemens Sirius 32 ECU from a 1.6 16v megane K4M and a wiring loom for a 1.4 16v scenic K4J but it has the right plug for the ECU. Will be pulling the engine when my 740 turbo is sold and the 340 is back on the road ... Next week hopefully. Before it goes in I'll need to get some poly engine and gearbox mounts, a clutch, looking 200mm (are 1.4 and 1.7 clutch shafts the same?) clutch shaft bearing too. New fuel lines and fuel pump. Need to buy a f4r throttle body (cable rather than electric). K4J (1.4) inlet manifold gets the throttle to point to the side in a 300, unlike the stock k4m which would point back. I'm getting a steel exhaust manifold flange cut and have acquired a 1.8 rover k series 4 branch manifold to cut up and make something to work.

The ECU needs immobiliser removing, involves desoldering a 44 pin surface mount chip for a full read of the flash :/ after that i can OBD read and write the sector that contains the maps.

The engine I'm pulling will be a K4M with VVT, 1.6 16v 120hp. Probably from a scenic or laguna, newer the better.

I'll try get some pretty pictures
Cheers
Matt
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 06 Jan 2018 04:02 pm

currently fitting LSD, got some clio coupe steels for it (williams spares).

Engines no-where near, need to sort clutch as the flywheels soooo much taller on the b14. Gonna need to space the arm/ release bearing an inch forwards. I'm mocking things up with vario parts, the splines on the clutch shat dont go as far to the end as a 1.7, is this vario only or is a 1.4 MT splined further towards the fly?
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Gabor

Post by Gabor » 12 Jan 2018 02:47 pm

Nimminz wrote:The last weeks been a bit quiet. Swapped the ridiculous gear knob for my mates snapped old E34 one. same time I had to adjust the reverse gate as 2nd gear was always a struggle, its sweet now. Rigged up a 12v fan heater to the rear screen as i reckon every line is broken. Fan works better but might need a bit of the parcel shelf shaving off. Its just cable tied in but i've been doing things really quickly in odd 5 mins, to try and make the car more daily-able while i'm daily-ing it.
Nice work, and intresting thread! Could you please explaine in more detaile what did you do with the mechanic of the gearshift?