My first Volvo road rally

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

My first Volvo road rally

Post by Carl » 12 Sep 2004 05:24 pm

Well i've just done a road rally in my GLT, and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised at how well it coped. After driving about with crap tyres since i got the car i was a bit apperhensive about driving in quickly as it was very twitchy. But with a decent set of tyres its been transfromed. It just sticks to the tarmac, even in the wet you have to really provoke it to get out of shape. On grass/gravel/mud the car is brilliant - its very easy to drive fast as its easily correctable as the back starts stepping out. Also impressed at the strength of it - bouncing down some very rutted/potholed/stony roads, literally bouncing off the sump/underside and it just kept going, and there doesnt seem ot be any damage!

All-in-all a good nights sport, considering the car is completely standard apart from the brakes. Hopefully i'll get some photos soon from the photographer, which should be interesting!

Not sure if any of you really care about this, but i'm still buzzing :D

Janitor

Post by Janitor » 12 Sep 2004 06:27 pm

nice one !!
hope you had fun !!??

how were the lights?

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 12 Sep 2004 07:17 pm

Had masses of fun, and got 2nd in class, which wasnt too bad considering we had a terrible night from a navigational point of view!

I found some 100/55w bulbs in Halfords which made main beam much much better. Still gonna try and sort some spots out though for a bit of extra visibility.

Also i was amazed the brakes lasted. on a couple of sections i felt them start to fade so i eased off the brake pedal, but mostly they survived all night

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 13 Sep 2004 02:32 am

Run it past me again...what's non-standard about your brakes?

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 13 Sep 2004 05:07 pm

The pads are Mintex M1144s (which i suppose technically isnt non-standard, just a different make), the fluid is all new dot 5.1 and I drilled some holes in the discs guards (not sure it it helps, but its worth a try!). Nothing very exciting i'm afraid.

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 13 Sep 2004 10:35 pm

New fluid makes an alarming difference, especially in terms of thermal capacity!

I mis-read a roundabout at night the other day, and had to stop in a hurry....it surprised me in just how quickly it stopped! I think I'm to harsh on the reputation of the 360 brakes...

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 14 Sep 2004 05:00 pm

I still dont like the idea of solid discs, its definately needs vented ones, but i was still impressed with the way they coped!

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 15 Sep 2004 01:09 am

I still say that vented discs won't help much unless you get enough air to them. I'd say fitting wide-spoked alloys made more of a difference than I would ever expect vented discs to. I'm basing that on my car vs our V40 (vented, but closed in).

A set of those early 14" 400-series 5-spokes will set you back £50 tops.

If you really are set on the vented discs, a 400 series kit will fit fairly easily and give a decent upgrade.....beyond that....the sky (well...actually your patience and skill!) is the limit.

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

x19dude

Post by x19dude » 20 Sep 2004 02:13 pm

Hi Carl,
Congratulations on the road rally success. Were there any incidents amongst the other competitors or was it a completely uneventful rally?(I have never known the bullnose to be uneventful and know that the nav can be quite difficult - so congrats to your navigator also). Anyway, keep us posted on your further events.
Cheers,
Paul.
340pw
1984 Volvo 340DL in family since new
1999 Subaru Impreza wrx Wagon
1991 Lancia Delta Integrale Evo
1977 Triumph Dolomite(Buried in a garage for the last 10 years)
1998 Alfa 156 Race Car.

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 20 Sep 2004 08:56 pm

5lab, if my plan comes together (and TBH they usually dont, but nevermind), the 360 will recieve the grill with driving lights in, if i ever mind one - might go hunting round some scrappies soon. The fogs will also be binned and turned into air ducts for the brakes. Even without them i think vents would do wonders. I have compared solids and vents before (205 TD vs 205 GTi), both similar weight, same rear brake setup, same front pads, but TD has solid and GTi has vented. the GTi brakes last much longer, and the alloys arent desinged to allow air thru.

X19dude, the night was pretty uneventful, i think everyone got round ok, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. A big improvement over last years event, fair play to the Oxford lads, they listened to our criticisms and turned it round this year. The special test was good fun, although a little over-complicated, but it was a good first try. Next year, i'm sure it will be even better. I've got the proofs now from the photographer, he missed all the sideways bit, which is a shame, but still some good photos. Although in his post-event report, his exact words were: "Not sure what Carl Gibbs/Lizzie Pope were on, but their slippy/slidey Volvo 360 wrong slotted just before me, only too reappear shortly afterwards fishtailing all over the place with Carlos pretending to be in control." Thats what happens when you take a 90-left on mud in 2nd gear and keep your foot planted ;) :D
When i find a scanner i'll put the pics online somehwere.

I've been up to the same sort of stunts again this weekend, as i've been up in Wales marshalling the Rally GB. As a marshal you get the priveledge of driving the stages, so the car has been getting some more sideways treatment!! About 25 miles worth of gravel/mud to be exact :)