WooDooUKs ReVolvo Project Trackday 2

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
WooDooUK

Will it Live?

Post by WooDooUK » 02 Jun 2008 02:53 pm

The update on the weekends shenanigans..........

After getting the car back earlier in the week from having its downpipe made by Pro-Speed in Cardiff it was time to "Finish Him!" :)

It all started on Thursday evening with a trip to Swansea to Collect my modified Wiring Loom from 340GTL (Adam). I decided to go for the fully modified loom ready to go into the car. Im glad i did as the fit was spot on! Top Job.

So It was an early start on saturday morning to do the silly little things, Gunk up all the joints in the exhaust was the first job, easy enough followed by some heat proofing of the brake pipe that runs down 90degrees to the downpipe. again easy (pics later)

So time comes to fit the loom and hook it up to the volvo loom. It all when in without any fuss. again thanks to Adam

Some oil and water later we are ready for the first crank/ignition.
First off the we went to the ignition expecting both fuelpumps to Prime and make a load of noise, This is sort of what happend :) lots of clicking of relays and only one of my 2 fuel pump doing its job. :(

The injectors were also sticking open so we were filling the cylinders with fuel! :shock: after several hours later i had enough and decided to call it a day, We were agonisingly (ya speeling! :lol: ) close!

To be continued.........

WooDooUK

Post by WooDooUK » 11 Jun 2008 01:46 pm

Sorry About the delay :)

Well its running, thanks again to Adam,

Just been finishing off little jobs now, like getting all the senders for my extra gauges fitted and an extra oil pressure warning Light.

Unfortunatley my hooning has come an hault due to the starter motor destroying the teeth on the flywheel and the starters own teeth, so the car will now not start :x
I have a spare flywheel and starter but i would like to find why this happened first!

Not sure how this happend as there is no adjustment in the location of the starter, unless the volvo bell housing holds it slighty further away from the fly wheel than the R19/Clio Gearbox.

germ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by germ » 11 Jun 2008 03:51 pm

Have people really been using the renault flywheel? as the one i have appears to be smaller.. but then the teeth on the clio starter is smaller..i think lol

Nice progress there, liking the gauges 8)

Cheers
will

pistonpen paultje

Post by pistonpen paultje » 11 Jun 2008 09:18 pm

Love your car mate!

Nikdev

Post by Nikdev » 13 Jun 2008 11:04 am

Nice car! :D

WooDooUK

Post by WooDooUK » 14 Jun 2008 06:20 pm

Thanks for the comments!

Well the car is now running again, luckily i had a spare 19 engine so i half-inched the flywheel from that and got a starter motor from a clio ( the same as the 400 series and many renaults, and it now sounds like a normal car when starting.

I have come to the conclusion that the teeth on the orginal starter i had used must have been knacked as it made strange noises from the word go.

Sorted :)

not sure whats next tbh, maybe some wheels

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 15 Jun 2008 02:18 am

Glad you got it sorted out :)

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

WooDooUK

Polished

Post by WooDooUK » 15 Jun 2008 04:36 pm

Well with todays good weather and some spare time i decided to polish the Volvo with some amasing results, the paint especialy on the roof and bonnet were very flat and almost grey,

I will let the pic do the talking.

Definatly needs smarter wheels now.

And the Obligatory fancy arty farty reflecty shot 8)

Slider

Post by Slider » 02 Jul 2008 12:02 am

Hi WooDoo.

Very interesting read. Im about to embark on a similar project.

About your suspension, what drop did you go for on the rear? (2", 2.5", 3")

Looks to have a nice stance.

Also, any tips, things to look out for, possible pit falls you can give someone doing this?? would be very useful! :D

Ben

antiekeradio

Post by antiekeradio » 02 Jul 2008 09:58 am

shiny like slime in moonlight :lol:

looks very good. what are your plans with these (400 series?) rims?

may look good when repainted. at least: different from the stock steel rims.

WooDooUK

Post by WooDooUK » 02 Jul 2008 10:17 am

Hi Slider,

Its a 3" drop at the front and 2" drop at the rear.

The only thing realy to look out for is the water pipes, if you already have a 1.7 this wont be an issue. (remeber to take the pipe with the small take off from the back of the water pump)

Going from a 1.4 its thing like finding the pipes, alternator bracketry etc. can be difficult to find.

antiekeradio:

Those steelies are actualy off a Seat Ibiza :) realy groty scrapyard wheels i only got for the tyres.

I have now picked up some ATS Alloys in 6x13J will post some pics once i get them back from the blasters.

kaos

Post by kaos » 02 Jul 2008 06:44 pm

woodoo

How did you wire up your oil pressure light? and where too?

Still running i hope?

WooDooUK

Post by WooDooUK » 02 Jul 2008 07:45 pm

kaos wrote:woodoo

How did you wire up your oil pressure light? and where too?

Still running i hope?
Still Running like a charm, can be scary in the wet on those silly skinny tyres :)

All you need to do is connect the plug from the renault loom onto the volvo loom (solder it on or just use a spade connector)

Its the black wire by the alternator if i remeber correctly, now i think about it it may have a female spade connector on it already.

WooDooUK

Wheels!

Post by WooDooUK » 02 Jul 2008 08:02 pm

They are asorted colours at the moment, they are currently at the blasters being taken back to bare ally, then its on with the black paint,
This weekends job hopefully.

WooDooUK

Post by WooDooUK » 03 Jul 2008 05:39 pm

Gah, Not having much luck at the moment!

on the way home from work today i noticed the gearbox (or something in the drivetrain) making a loud clunking noise when changing gear, once when the clutch is pressed and once again when you come off the clutch, This combined from the rattley noise coming from the prop makes me think something might be up.

I will update once i have had a look under the car.