Fuse's 360GLT

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Fuse

Re: Fuse's 360GLT

Post by Fuse » 13 Jun 2011 01:20 am

Thanks for the tips!

Though I don't think I'll be having problems with the 577. I've used it before in fuel fittings with unleaded fuel and I haven't had problems with it yet. The ethanol they add in fuel nowadays could be a problem though in the long run. It's currently 5% of ethanol for 98E in here. 10% for 95E but I don't use that.

There are differently rated PA12 tubings available, some are only rated for -20C and some aren't even rated for vehicle use. This one is rated for -40C and with a safety coefficient of 3. (Rated max. working pressure is 1/3 of the explosion pressure). Also in my use these tubes will only be seeing around 3-4bar max.

I've not used PA12 before, but my friend has had fuel lines in his car made from the same stuff for about 7 years and yet no problems.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 30 Jul 2011 09:01 am

Like stated before the Italian-made aftermarket water pump started to leak after one winter. Now also the head gasket showed signs of oil leaks between the cylinders no. 2 and 3 at the intake side so I started to take out the head yesterday. I'll take the head to the machine shop for a check up/basic repair also. I'll re-route the oilcooler lines and fit braided lines with AN-fittings at the same time and re-do some intake piping. Also an electrical fan from 850 T5 will be fitted and an OEM 940 water pump.

Random pics.

"Tested" apparently not well enough.. :D

-Marko

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 30 Jul 2011 10:02 pm

I took the head off today. Everything looked okay from above. Honing marks were visible and no ridge on the cylinder walls. Not bad, the odometer just turned 345 000km. :) There's a little bit of carbon deposit on the top of the pistons, but not much. Just enough for color to be black. Pistons seem to be flat top pistons so I guess compression is around 9 or so. Head gasket had seepage from two different spots. It was simple age wear around the oil passages. No detonation marks what so ever so I guess the ERL extra ECU has been working good for all these years. :)

Some pics.

I'll take the head to the local machine shop at monday. Now I finally have some time to tidy up the engine bay while the head is at the shop. I'll re-do the oil lines, intake piping, change the head lights for restored ones, change the exaust manifold for newer style one, install an electrical fan and switch the water pump for OEM 940 one. :-P I'll also replace the oil pan gasket and check the condition of bottom end bearings at the same time and replace if necessary.

-Marko

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 04 Aug 2011 09:22 pm

I relocated the alternator today and started with the new oil lines and AN-fittings. I used one half of a bracket from a 900-series alternator-servo-AC bracket thingy and bolted that on to the lower mounting points at the intake side. Alternator sits now nicely at the lower point at the intake side. This will give me plenty of room for proper routing of the oil lines and also it's better location for the alternator as the intake side is colder. Also way more easier to acces for service.

I only took one cellphone pic today as I didn't have my camera with me. I'll take more pics tomorrow as I'll get started with the oil lines. I'll have to get new gaskets for the oil cooler and filter relocation flanges. There's a place called "Tiivistekeskus" (literally translates to Gasket Center) nearby which provides 20 000 different gaskets off the shelf for industrial applications and such. I've never left the place without getting a suitable gasket, they'll always find ones which will fit. :-P

Removing the unnecessary parts from the 900-series alternator bracket.

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 05 Aug 2011 09:40 pm

More crappy cellphone pics as I forgot the camera at the apartment again. :roll:

The AN10 hose I bought turned out to be AN12.. :roll: So of course it didn't fit with the AN10 fittings. I'll have to return that to the hydraulics store and get some AN10 hose.. I have the receipt for it and even that reads AN10... It seems that nowadays you'd have to check every damn thing you buy, even if you have printed out the stuff you'd like to buy from their own catalogue...

Well anyhow I got the new seals for the oil flanges and started to fit the flanges. I made a new support leg for the filter flange and modified the alternator adjusting bracket a bit.

Flanges 'n fittings.

Lots of room for fittings and hoses when the alternator is at the intake side.

I made a suitable adjusting bracket for the alternator from a stock 300-series adjuster and a 900-series adjuster.

I'll go to the garage at the sunday next time. I'll try to remember to take the camera with me. :)

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 08 Aug 2011 09:38 pm

Of course.. I had the camera with me but the battery was dead. :D So let's continue with the crappy cell-phone pictures.

I took out the oilpan to check the bottom end bearings and also the oilpan gasket it self was leaking.

Everything looked okay except there was a hairline crack at the inside of the oil pan. It doesn't show outside yet but I'll replace the pan anyways. It's right at the center of the pan so apparently someone has lifted the engine with a jack from the oilpan at some point of the car's life. :roll:

Well Aukki is going to provide me with a solid oil pan. Thanks to Aukki! 8)

I'll check the rod bearing clearances with the Plastigage at the end of this week.

Here are few crappy cell phone pics.

Don't mind the dirt. (That's how your engine bay ends up in a Finnish winter when you don't have an engine undertray, I'll have to fabricate something for that area also) I'll clean up things when everything mechanical is fitting. ;)

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 08 Aug 2011 10:17 pm

looks really nice! been thinking about a oil-filter relocator and sandwichplate kit for a while, might also come in handy for the B230FTT
do those have a specific name/size and where did you get em?

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 09 Aug 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks!

Mine is made my Mocal. http://www.thinkauto.com/ I bought it from a local speed shop but most places which sell tuning parts for cars should be able to at least order them.

It's cast aluminium. Some people prefer the billet ones because finishing is better and some people have had problems with the thread stripping with the cheapest cast ones. (Though I think in many cases this has been because people have been combining 1/2" NPT fittings with 1/2" BSP)

I've not had problems with the Mocal set though.

Volvo redblock has a 3/4" UNF thread so most take-off plates and filter mounts with that thread should work!

Also later redblocks came with this kind of a filter mount. I can be installed pointing in any direction.

http://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/15/18/67/20/flange10.jpg

It would also work nicely in 300-series if the alternator is moved to the intake side and the mount would be pointing to the front of the car. I thought about that also but I already had the relocation kit so I used that. :)

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 11 Aug 2011 09:06 pm

I got the head back from the shop. New valve seats, valves ground, gasket surface milled, new seals etc... everything adjusted and checked. There was some pitting/corrosion on places where there are water jackets on the block but no water jackets on the head. It wasn't too bad so no welding was required, small pits in the middle don't matter.That's usually caused by bad antifreeze (too much water in it for a long perioids of time, or water only). When I bought the car the radiator was leaking and cooling system was filled almost completely with water only so it's not a surprise.

Fuse's special tools no. 1 and 2. :D

I didn't have a long enough tap to clean the threads on the block so I made a cleaning tool out of an old head bolt. Just cut some grooves on to the sides and it works great. I used the copper piece to clean the top of the cylinders where there was some carbon deposit. Copper doesn't scratch the cylinders.

Deck surface cleaned.

New head gasket made by Elring, of course.

New bolts.

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 12 Aug 2011 12:44 am

Looking sweet bud!
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 13 Aug 2011 12:01 am

Thanks Chris!

I went to the garage after the work today. I installed the new water pump and I also got the the cam gear and timing belt in place.

The half of the bolts which came with the OEM 940 turbo water pump were too short for the pump they came with! Luckily I had suitable bolts so I got the pump installed.

I also fabricated a makeshift tool to keep the camshaft from rotating when tightening the cam gear bolt. Volvo has a special tool for this but I made a Fuse's special tool no.3 from two pieces of round metal bar and one box-section bar... :D Some people tighten the bolt by putting the timing belt on, putting the car on high gear and then tightening the bolt to torque spec but I don't like to apply unnecessary stress on to the cambelt.

I'll take some pics tomorrow as again I didn't have the cam with me today. :)

-Marko

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 14 Aug 2011 06:05 pm

Hi!

The engine is lookin like an engine again. Valve cover, timing belt covers etc.. are on place. I also installed the manifold and turbo today. I used the old manifold as the "new" one requires some machining so that can wait untill later time.

The electrical radiator fan from 850 T5 turned out to be too large to fit properly so I bought an universal electrical fan which is a bit smaller. I'll be installing that tomorrow and I'll also make new intake pipes at the same time. Also oil pan and radiator needs to be installed one I'll get those.

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 14 Aug 2011 09:46 pm

looking good mate, just out of interest, what are you using to turn on/off the electric fan? fan controller or a thermal switch?
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 14 Aug 2011 10:33 pm

Nimminz wrote:looking good mate, just out of interest, what are you using to turn on/off the electric fan? fan controller or a thermal switch?
A thermo-switch at the lower radiator hose for now. Later when I'll install the MS I'll be using the fan control function of the MS.

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 15 Aug 2011 08:11 pm

Installed some small bits today, like heater hoses, alternator wiring etc...

I also started with the intake piping, I'll finish that tomorrow.

Then I'll only have the oil pan and the radiator to install and it's pretty much done (for now). 8)