JTbo's project (360GL B200K 1988)

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
jtbo

Re: JTbo's project (360GL B200K 1988)

Post by jtbo » 27 Mar 2010 12:24 pm

Filler cap seal is funny one, I did bought new one from Volvo in 2004 I believe, it is alredy very hard and not doing it's job perfectly.

If i take oil stick out when motor is running there is no pressure at all, no fumes come out and can't' feel anything with hand, but there is some kind of blowing when I did open filler cap, I'm not too sure how much is normal.

I had not applied sealant to #1 cam bearing cap, so that had probably the reason then, now it just happened to leak onto exhaus side of cylinder head, but it is certainly possible if it did earlier leaked from bit other side, for me it is bit difficult to see behind the cam gear.

So now to see if situation changes, btw this post is made within 360, does this count me as addict of v3m? :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 27 Mar 2010 12:30 pm

:D

Yes, the filler cap seals don't last long.

I think the dipstick tube might be below the oil level, so no pressurisation. On some cars it exits above the oil level, so the tube gets blown out! sm56

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 27 Mar 2010 06:46 pm

It seems I can do simple things hard way :lol:

Off I did go to test if leak is gone, while cleaning all oil remains from yesterday I did notice that black plastic thing that is between carb and manifold had something which did look like a crack, hard to see, so I take off the carb, clean that plastic part and examine it closer, no crack.

As I had taken carb away, it was then good time to check how badly warped this high mileage carb was.
ImageImage

It was indeed quite bad, amazing how well engine was running with that, so I decided to get other carb and check how things were with it and almost perfectly straight. Of course that other one had no idle at all last summer, but still decided to install that which is car's original carb. Just in case did blow every hole of carb with compressed air, then took jets, emulsion tubes, heater, idle cut off solenoid and idle jet cover, spring + gasket from high mileage carb, to be just sure that only thing I change is carb body with throttle flaps, I took even top plate from high mileage carb. Also I did install new o-ring for idle solenoid and took one o-ring from high mileage carb as original carb was missing one, it was small one that is near emulsion tubes.

Quite lot of cleaning, also put instant gasket between carb and 1st gasket as did use old gaskets to put all back together, will install service kit when I get book that ordered so that nothing will go wrong, kit was so madly expensive :lol:

Could not remember base settings of idle mixture and idle rpm screws so turned both open 6 turns from the bottom, should be possible to start it as it does need choke anyway to be started at this cold.

Starts fine, runs shit :mrgreen:
After motor had warmed up, turned idle rpm screw 2 to 3 turns in, idle mixture screw is bit hard to tell, but maybe 1.5-2.5 turns more open, this took some time to find where it wanted to idle best, idle rpm might still be bit high, don't know how much it really is as can't remember how much error there was in rpm gauge, I think there was some, even not very much. Anyway it idles now better, might be still bit lean as it shakes a bit and does not run perfectly smooth, need meter to adjust it to final setting, 1.5 maybe even 2, somewhere there it should work best.
Then adjusted choke vacuum thingy (I did settle to 2.8mm even 2.7mm would be correct setting, might tune it more later) and also choke rpm (1mm gap):

Good thing was that I could not see leaks this time, at least not from cam area, other places are harder to see but at least not very wet there either. Made quck ramps with two bricks and planks of wood, drove it to those as thought oil change being good idea, oil has seen maybe 4000km, but it is from 2005 :lol:
There under the car it hits me that I never got around to get square key for oil sump plug, also it seems to be that my other tools have different size of square pieces, there is nothing compatible, house's window opener had wrong size too. I guess it is time to invest some tool, also would be good idea to get few washers for oil sump plug.

Then while under the car did notice some rust problem and it remainded me what my mechanic told, it was indeed some structural box near front fender that is quite ugly state, must get it done by proffesional welder, so it would last and go trough a MOT without any problems. Might cost few hundred to get fixed, annoying and expensive, but there is no much choice if I'm going to drive 360 some day.

Found also good box for bolts, so they don't get lost, it is not very new, it is candy box from Soviet Union :lol: :

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 04 Apr 2010 01:34 pm

What do you think would happen, if I throw this between front spring top cup and strut top bottom plate? There is small bearing at default, but top cup and bottom plate are rubbing each other as strut top mount rubber has gone bad, I was thinking getting enough big of this type of bearing so it would keep top cup and bottom plate of strut top separated and it could perhaps make steering smooth again without need of getting adjustable strut top mounts that would be bit of overkill in price and features.

I would think that strut top impact damping will be lost, but it has been lost now anyway as them have failed, maybe if I put some rubber discs both sides of bearing it would act like absorber, however there might not be enough available space, I would recon there is only under 10mm of space and it still would lift front a bit.

nomead
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: JTbo's project

Post by nomead » 05 Apr 2010 09:47 am

jtbo wrote:SX-7160 from http://www.kaasutinexpertti.fi/, probably not much use outside of Finland, but if someone needs one I can probably relay such item.
Ah, good find. I was just going to order a B14 kit from http://www.misab.se/w811.htm but Kaasutinexpertti seems to be cheaper and it's also a bonus that they're in the same country so the shipping costs will also be less. It seems that they have the kit WE-8080-X for 59 euros, "Volvo B14 - Weber 32 DIR".
Volvo 340DL Variomatic -89
Volvo 360GLT -86

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Apr 2010 11:58 am

Delivery is also rather quick with Kaasutinexpertti, I got my stuff in 2 days or so, just managed to collect them much later :D

Compare that to average PC parts deliverytime which is something over 7 days, for some reason shipping costs of pc parts are also lot more :lol: Those actually come faster and cheaper from some other country than from inside this country.

I don't really like from Eastern, I forgot to get square key for oil sump plug and now I have not been able to get one because of shops are closed, well weather has not been too good either, so no big harm done, but it is still bit of annoying, there is bit of shelter where car is so I could have done oil change already.

Maybe I try photoshoot of rust instead, need to figure best route with that and it is easier with some piccies.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Apr 2010 05:08 pm

Bigger version:
http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/360/2010/360_underside4_c.jpg

It looks like lot of work, also I don't understand why it is all wet down there, car front is lifted so that there is plenty of space underside, sure it has been raining, but rain should not make whole underside so wet or should it?

So next week need to find lot of sheet metal, I guess :roll:

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 05 Apr 2010 05:39 pm

It's not ideal news, but that looks like it could be a lot worse...

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Apr 2010 06:14 pm

foggyjames wrote:It's not ideal news, but that looks like it could be a lot worse...

cheers

James
Does this make it any worse? :?

That black protective layer might hide some of rust still, bit scared to start angle grinder, but there is no much options, better clean all of it that has become loose and put at least paint to cover it, that is better than current status, also then I know how much work there will be.

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 05 Apr 2010 06:17 pm

I saw that from the other angle. A couple of mine have had that. These things happen, eh?

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Apr 2010 06:32 pm

foggyjames wrote:I saw that from the other angle. A couple of mine have had that. These things happen, eh?

cheers

James
Yes, it is at age where blossom starts to bloom :roll: :oops:

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 05 Apr 2010 06:59 pm

Its like the menopause for 300s.
Once they reach that certain age, theres just no avoiding it.

Just sigh, nod, and do the best you can to make the best of it. :(

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 11 Apr 2010 07:52 pm

Ok, now I'm certain that oil leaks have been cured, there is no single drop of oil leaked and not any seal or gasket is even damp, not even oil filler cap, perfectly dry around that.

If latest improvement of idle are proven to be cure to part throttle running problems, then it looks quite good, but we will see that soon.

Then need to attack against that rust, but can't do that before land dries a bit, currently every footstep makes sound of splat and puddle of water appears around footprint, boots required, so I'm not going to lie on my back there, too wet :lol:

One another thing, when I did rather illegally last test of motor behaviour, I did noticed that damn thing is not quite so quiet as my french fwd crap, rather I did notice my hand reaching for ear protection which I had not with me, especially when I put my foot down there were quite loud roar from the behind :roll:
Road noises were incredible loud too, again from rear, couldn't remember that it was so loud. In this old clip quite lot from sounds from rear are not heard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiawKn8T_X4 but still it sounds quite loud there too.

I guess that I need to get some original exhaust installed, maybe it gets bit better then. Also might put narrowband meter somewhere into car, there is sensor already.

At summer thing should be on road, if all goes as planned, biggest issue are those strut top mounts, might get those bearings even it is ugly hack, but it would be better than current situation, new strut top mounts or still ok condition used ones seem to be impossible to find.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 07 Aug 2010 06:26 pm

Summer is almost gone, 360 is still not on road :cry:

Today I started working on 360 right when I woke up, kept working with it 7 hours straight.

Things that I did accomplished:
-Interior stripped, no, not for any silly reason, I will put it all back, when finished.
-Front wing removed
-Front bumper removed
-Sound dampening materials removed from floors
-One new brake hose installed
-Rust cut away from biggest problem area, that is one beam under the car
-Front wing crudely straightened, previous owner had dented it, so I did try my best to get it less dented, it still needs some work and respray.

Maybe I work bit slow, but it was +27C outside, no clouds, only scorchio and light sand on working area really boosted the effect, I was all exhausted after 7 hours.

If tomorrow is not very rainy day, I will weld some patches, cut some more holes and weld more patches, clear rust inside the floors, which is not really bad, probably does not need welding, hopefully in two days all is put back together and primered, will need car to get proper colour paint so that I can respray them.

Also need to take off the door and fix it, preferrably both doors, however I don't know if it is possible without Volvo tool?

Car is also leaking badly, I mean water enters the car from bad door seals, from one thunder shower there were something around half a pint water on car's floor, which is not good, so new door seals needed, must see if I have enough of seal that I bought from Etola company, might need to improvise.

I prefer working on car that I do like, so if I can get this thing on road, then I can make some money by working and pay someone to work on that shitty french crap, which is rather cheap to run compared to 360, also I don't plan to sink 360 into road salt, so let's see how things work out, I hope that in next month I would be working again, so there is not much time to get 360 going, will need also to make some tricks to strut top mounts, engine mounts and that front beam where ARB is connected.

Anyway 360 seems to be lot easier to work with than french crap.

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 08 Aug 2010 11:10 pm

Having just spent two full days working on a 300...I can sympathise!

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164