Andy P's Project....SOLD!

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
LostKen

Re: Andy P's Project....SOLD!

Post by LostKen » 18 Jan 2010 07:08 pm

will the missing one on mine is the one goes to the reserve tank in this picture????

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 18 Jan 2010 09:54 pm

I'm no expert but surely that ^^^ wouldn't work correctly as it's meant to be a pressurised system is it not?

The fan only working sometimes is correct as it's got a thermostatic switch, so aslong as it comes on when it gets hot i.e sitting in traffic it's working fine.
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

LostKen

Post by LostKen » 20 Jan 2010 10:06 pm

Andy P wrote:
volvosneverdie wrote: 600 who on the whatnow?? :shock:
Pics demanded. :wink:
:lol: There is a project thread on DW but not too much has happened yet. I've got 80% of the bits and I was meaning to make a good start on it over the xmas hols but then I decided I'd go down with swine flu instead :(
Paula wrote:Hi Ken & Andy,

I am glad that I enquired about Trundle 2.

It's good to know that she is still going strong and is in good hands..... 340pw

Like you Andy, I wish that I had never sold the car to my next door neighbour who ruined the engine...... :cry:
I'm happy to know that the car is in safe hands now (not knowing who had the car worried me for some reason lol ) Its strange, this car has so much attraction to it - everyone that sees it falls in love with it, a lot of which is probably down to the care you took to keep the car as mint as it is today.

It is sad that your neighbour managed to kill off the original engine but if you think about it, it may have never come my way if it was still operational and had the 16v treatment that the car deserved.
Tom bailey wrote:what seats are in that rather tasty 300 ? :D
They're WRX seats - very supportive and comfortable and the colour was perfect for the car. Simply welded down to the original volvo seat runners. They look like they've been there since the car left the factory.

Ahhh I'm so happy the car is owned by a forum member :)

Andy
Hi Andy, I want to fit a lamda sensor back to the car, which lamda sensor do I need?? the clio 16v one or volvo 340 or just any lamda sensor will do??
It seems that the lamda sensor cable is there so it shouldn't be a huge job to get it done, rite??

Its quite annoying to warm up the car everytime when I need to go out :? :?

Cheers :340:

Ken

Andy P

Post by Andy P » 22 Jan 2010 10:14 am

Ken,

Sorry for the late reply - I'm not on here that often. What you're missing from the pipe is a bung to block the pipe. The engine I got had the Modine oil Cooler on the side of the block. It was a right pain in the arse to plumb as I seemed to have an odd number of open ended pipes with nowhere to go!

An earlier post in this thread from Woodoo
"Just noticed the Modine oil Cooler on the side of the block, Are you planing on keeping this? My engine came withone would couldn't see a viable way of using it without completley re-doing the cooling system pipe work."

The way I plumbed it in worked - the rad fan would kick in and shut off just as my other 340 did so didn't really think too much of it. The only problems I had was that the temp gauge always read low - I assumed this was down to a dodgy sensor (the car was a non runner when I got it originally so I don't know if it worked in the first place) and the heater never really seemed that hot.

I've posted in the other thread regarding the Lambda :)

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 22 Jan 2010 11:18 am

Andy P wrote: The way I plumbed it in worked - the rad fan would kick in and shut off just as my other 340 did so didn't really think too much of it. The only problems I had was that the temp gauge always read low - I assumed this was down to a dodgy sensor (the car was a non runner when I got it originally so I don't know if it worked in the first place) and the heater never really seemed that hot.

I've posted in the other thread regarding the Lambda :)
That sounds like a thermostat stuck open, thats what my white car was doing.
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

Andy P

Post by Andy P » 22 Jan 2010 11:34 am

I don't think so (although it could be a combination of that?). When the rad fan kicks in which doesn't take that long (so i'm assuming the 'stat is ok) the temp gauge still reads low.

Andy

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 22 Jan 2010 11:40 pm

Mine also runs cold, sometimes.

It's a brand new stat, but there are a few reasons I think it's something else entirely. The 2.0 16V has to work a lot less hard than the 1.7 on a cruise so isn't likely to build up heat as much. Also, the head isn't designed for 4ft long cooling hoses so I'm pretty certain it's working over efficiently.

Mine when sat in traffic on a hot day will get to "just past LED oclock" on the water gauge and the fan will kick in. Sometimes it'll sit about quarter glass all day, sometimes bolt upright, and sometimes vary between the two! In the real cold a month ago it'd sit around 1/3 glass, then when I put the heater on you could watch it drop to 1/4 glass.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

kaos

Post by kaos » 23 Jan 2010 05:26 pm

the picture with the pipe going in to the expansion tank is mine. And is from the early stages of building my car, that pipe no longer exists on my car, its bunged off will be welded at some point.

it blocks the heater take of pipe from the thermostat housing.

Paula

Post by Paula » 24 Jan 2010 02:30 am

When I had Trundle 2, the heater was awesome in the winter and the gauge always read 100%.

I wonder if my next day neighbour caused this problem when he blew the headgasket, topped it up and then proceeded to use the car the next day.

LostKen

Post by LostKen » 29 Jan 2010 07:47 pm

Andy P wrote:It had a 1400 diff in it. Its definately the best diff for the car as its geared shorter so better for acceleration. The 1700 diff is longer and better for cruising.

Pm me your address and I'll see if I can dig the seal out and send it off to you :)

Its great to see that the car still has an interior. IMO it should be kept. In these cars they weigh next to nothing and you'll gain nothing but noise from taking it all out.

Andy
Hi, Andy, my gearbox is looking to be wearing out and becoming so noisy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, which gear box should I look for?? :340: sm4

Cheers

Ken

Andy P

Post by Andy P » 01 Feb 2010 06:13 pm

As far as I'm aware, the 1.4 and 1.7 gearbox are the same (so long as its a 5 speed!!). The difference is in the diff.

Is it noisy whilst in gear or going into gear? If it's just going into gear double cheack the clutch adjustment nuts (on the end of the clutch cable thats sat in the clutch arm sticking out the gearbox) and make sure its not just slack and not engaging the clutch properly.

LostKen

Post by LostKen » 06 Feb 2010 12:04 am

Andy P wrote:As far as I'm aware, the 1.4 and 1.7 gearbox are the same (so long as its a 5 speed!!). The difference is in the diff.

Is it noisy whilst in gear or going into gear? If it's just going into gear double cheack the clutch adjustment nuts (on the end of the clutch cable thats sat in the clutch arm sticking out the gearbox) and make sure its not just slack and not engaging the clutch properly.
Cheers mate, the noise is coming whilst in gear. should be some damage in the gearbox but it is not a serious problem! :P
i will buy a gearbox if anything happen lol

Hope you can find the lamda sensor so that i can fit it in lol sm4 sm4

Ken

Paula

Post by Paula » 01 Jul 2010 10:31 pm

Hi Guys,

I see that Trundle 2 is taxed and I wonder if Ken still owns her and I would also like to know how she is running these days.

Can anyone help please?

Paula

The vehicle details for G784 CPK are:

Date of Liability 01 05 2011
Date of First Registration 01 12 1989
Year of Manufacture 1989
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1397CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour RED
Vehicle Type Approval

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £68.75
12 Months Rate £125.00

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 01 Jul 2010 10:46 pm

Somebody bought her and shortly after the F7's bottom end went. Currently undergoing a 440 turbo engine conversion, not sure who owns it though
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Paula

Post by Paula » 01 Jul 2010 10:53 pm

Awesome.

I am glad she is OK.

Thanks

Paula
Speedy88 wrote:Somebody bought her and shortly after the F7's bottom end went. Currently undergoing a 440 turbo engine conversion, not sure who owns it though