Anjo's 340Turbo: EFI conversion

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
volvodspec

Re: Anjo's Project Car: 1986 340GT Special, B14Turbo

Post by volvodspec » 26 Mar 2011 07:02 pm

i was very determined to get the car rolling asap..

found out that with the shortshifter i couldn't find reverse, 1st and 5th gear, so had to modify it slightly and now all gears are solid and with only minor movement from the hand :wink:

installed the extra gauges and wired them up

i wanted to redesign the gauge box on the dash, and the rest of the dash so i thought the best way to keep me motivated to start on that soon was to bolt the rusty thing directly on there, so it will annoy me every time i drive it :lol:

after that i had to wait for an turbo oilfeed connector wich arrived friday and an hour later i fired it up. started right up with no leaks whatsoever, all great. i allowed it to warm up at idle and did prechecks and stuff. first testdrive on partial throttle went smooth, feeling way more powerfull than the old setup, even at very low revs. i allowed the car to cool down completely and after that the second testdrive, oil up to running temp and i tried out the turbo but... no boost and a loud whining noise! a bit confused and fussed what it could be i tried a lot out. externally pressurised the IC system to check for leaks; none. removed wastegatehose and did a testdrive, no more than 0,1 bar so hosed the wastegate back up.. drove home to do a checkup when i noticed the noise was suddenly gone; i gave it a bit more throttle and got 0,5 bar boost. car accelerated as a rocket :D dumpvalve enjoyed it as i was changing gear; halfway in 4th gear the boost dropped and the noise was back.

knowing something wasn't right i decided to give up as with every minute "testing" the damage would become greater, wasn't happy about the whining sound..
today i took the turbo off in the rain;

and on the last nut i made a mistake, used the wrong wrench.. so i f*cked the nut up and manifold + turbo had to be removed to get it loose.. was a bit tricky as i had to move the intake manifold 1,5cm off the head; raise the engine 2,5cm and then i could pull it out...

after i finally got the nut loose i took a close look at the turbo :(

it looks like an unbalanced shaft / too much play on bearings / bended shaft causing both compressor and turbine wheels to scrape the housings.. i've contacted a few sources and decided rather than just a new centre, order a brandnew turbo, same model; GT2560R ballbearing but boxed and brandnew with warranty. quickest and most reliable solution at the moment as it HAS to run next weekend at the Elandrun circuit. this will eventually get a checkup to see if a new centre will be enough, if so. it will be the base for a next quick & dirty side project :D

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 28 Mar 2011 07:12 pm

what a few good connections are good for :D

just placed the housings correct for my engine bay fitment; now i need to fab a new wastegate actuator mount and make a intake flange and after that it can be fitted :)

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Mar 2011 10:15 pm

You DO move fast dude. :shock:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 28 Mar 2011 10:23 pm

:lol: i have to.. the thing has to be in prime running condition this sunday, and the engine still needs to be driven easy for quite a few miles before i can cranck the boost up

testfitted and set the housings perfectly in line, + made sure oil return pipe is once more spot-on.

fabbed the new wastegate actuator bracket, very pleased with the simple 1bolt construction on the bracket, while the whole thing turned out rather abstract with all those different angles..

and started on the bolt-on intake out of 30mm solid aluminium plate

i'm making 2 of these as in the future the HKS airfilter requires a welded intake pipe to "somewhere" don't have a clue yet where that huge freaking thing will be placed, but anyways thats a later concern :lol:

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Mar 2011 11:30 pm

Ok,
I made myself a sandwhich earier.

I was quite proud of that till you updated this thread again...... :roll:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 29 Mar 2011 09:56 pm

flange done

connecting the thing up

startup process went great again, first testdrive was lovely; BOOST :D only 8psi atm but after the new engine components have worked in i'll go towards 17psi. hope the HKS dumpvalve becomes a lot louder then :lol:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 30 Mar 2011 08:10 pm

startup with cold engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXO7BFTdi0

testdrive, only 8psi atm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw_IAEM73RI

spoolup from 2200rpm, full boost at 3700rpm
powerband is a bit high, don't know what happens if i increase the boost. i'm currently considering putting the standard camshaft back in if it stays this way.

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 01 Apr 2011 08:38 pm

camera mount;

pic from camera;

and a vid; still only 8psi boost :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR9jEKRyOdU

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 01 Apr 2011 11:07 pm

Very cool m8, you must be happy to have it (almost) done
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 01 Apr 2011 11:09 pm

very nice. I like the subtle approach to a dump valve too, none of this SKIDOOSH! malarcy. Fantastic car lad!
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 02 Apr 2011 09:01 am

cheers :D though i do suspect the dumpvalve will get louder once i increase the boost :lol:

well it's nowhere near done. i'm basically a year behind of my own shedule due to the massive engine problems of last year. tomorrow all dutch volvo clubs are invited to participate in a track day at lelystad. remember last year, when my engine decided to go into flames on the way back home :lol: if it stays intact this time i should be o.k. for the summer.

hopefully i then finally have a chance to do a lot on the 343 wich will get a powdercoated-conversion this year and a redblock turbo conversion next spring :wink: in the meantime get all parts for a programmable injection conversion sorted and aaargh, so much to doo. wish i'd win the lottery soon, that would certainly speed things up a bit :wink:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 02 Apr 2011 11:50 am

and it's broken :mrgreen:

i pulled up with launch-control when something had bent or twisted. can't get above 2500rpm as you feel the car vibrates apart. on idle its all the shaky business

so i'm going to be under the car this afternoon figuring out what's bent and in the meantime weld the EGT sensor bung in the downpipe, not the best place unfortunatly but i'm not going to put it in the new turbo or in the merge-collector

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 04 Apr 2011 07:08 pm

new radiatorbracket

EGT bung in the downpipe, as i didn't want to drill in the new turbo or the merge collector
not the "perfect" place to measure EGT as it's quite a bit cooler behind the turbo but it'll do.

and allmost done in the engine bay; for now.

Elandrun time, last sunday.
and just like last year, where the engine caught fire this edition didn't go "smooth" either.

on the very first run i had lots of understeer in 2nd corner and struck a cone and 5 second penalty. my gameplan after that was to scout the track and see if i could make up the time in the next run. a tiny drift in front of the spectators bench that even got a rear wheel off the track :lol: unfortunatly, that broke the throttle cable's bulkhead mount (the only freaking thing that i kept original!!) and the pedal was slack and only 1/2 throttle was possible..

i tried to get the spring back in place with a few zipties. drytesting without the engine running went perfectly so up for run 2! i floor it off the starting line and as i shift the throttle is stuck and it cuts in the limiter. i switch off the ignition + fuelpump wich made a bang + black smoke :lol:
drove home to make a new part on the lathe, and i calculated that it was 2hours driving and 1/2 our to make the part. wich would leave 15 minutes playtime on the circuit. unfortunatly they closed the track 15 minutes early so my hopes for a run to see what the car can do with the new mods was vanished.

pics

vid's
all 300's (@ 4:14 volvo 360 with B230FK and koni suspension wich made the quickest time of the day!! my 340T's first run @ 5:45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jm3KiJoLqQ

first run onboard(ffwd to 3:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_mt_DQnElc

second run "spectators view"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKOO9_0XrDQ

second run onboard, @ 1:01 you hear the throttle cable pop back into it's original position :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KDFIlYWRk

at the onboard video's i forgot to switch the cam of, so after the track nothing happens :lol:

but atleast i could drive back home just fine this year :lol:

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 04 Apr 2011 07:16 pm

Sad news bout the trackday. Some fantastic pics though! Im a big fan of that bonnet too, looks good on your car. Cant get enough of the custom fab work either. You make me very jealous. :mrgreen:
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 04 Apr 2011 11:09 pm

Awesome pics and videos! Looks like you were suffering a bit from understeer? You LHD guys have it lucky with all that room for a downpipe!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux