project 360

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
kds19

Re: project 360

Post by kds19 » 27 Apr 2010 09:02 pm

well i got my hydraulic handbrake fitted and working but it was a night mare the original rear pipework was useless for this and made it im possible to bleed
so had to run a line from the hand brake to a t piece then into eac wheel cylinder from there and add a bleed nipple onto the drivers side wheel cylinder
and it is better but i think it needs a tad more bleeding then it will be awesome as footbrake has a bit more travel than normal same with the handbrake
but bllody hell it fairly locks the wheels up no matter what speed its awesome!!!
also got 2 tires fitted to 2 of my bbs alloys today with an accidental stretch and it looks poop lol
will post up pics soon when its not raining :D :D :D

plans for just now are to slowly start welding the rusty bits and use and abuse it until i get my cam and parts to rebuild my 40s and get them fitted for some powers :D :D
cheers
kev
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!
"volvosneverdie wrote: Fred Dibnah was running after me on the scuttling legs of a crab. in a tophat."

kds19

Post by kds19 » 30 Apr 2010 07:18 pm

pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :D

poop quality pic of my handbrake
and fitted (excuse the mess lol)
and my bbs wheels fitted i think they suit the car (and they arnt fakes) 8)
a bit of a gay offset but never mind the tires will be caput soon enough lol
cheers
kev
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!
"volvosneverdie wrote: Fred Dibnah was running after me on the scuttling legs of a crab. in a tophat."

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 30 Apr 2010 10:22 pm

Hey they look nice :)
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

kds19

Post by kds19 » 30 Apr 2010 10:28 pm

they are not bad considering they cost me 20 quid with all centre caps but 2 are broken and had a look on ebay
£20 each :shock: :shock:
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

kds19

Re: project 360 *update bad times*

Post by kds19 » 08 May 2010 02:04 pm

im starting to think that fitting the stupid handbrake was a bad idea
when it was first fitted i had to bleed the system twice then once it was bled it lasted 2 days then i had no brakes
i then got my mechanic friend to bleed it and they were great ive never had such good brakes
then jumped in the car in the morning to go to work and :shock: NO BRAKES!!!! FFS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: sm2
so since tuesday i have had to bleed the brakes every day
but thursday night i noticed that the bleed nipple on the wheel cylider wouldnt tighten anymore it just spun
then CRACK the bit that the nipple screws into broke apart so that explained why it wouldnt bleed
so i got 2 new wheel cylinders for £20 and fitted them and try bleeding it and once again :shock:
the one rubber hose for the rear brakes is split!! sm2 sm2 sm31 sm38 sm88
so my mate went and got one he had lying around but it had different ends
but bought a new one from ebay for about £4 delivered :D :D
i must have spent about £20 on brake fluid this week :cry:

so for just now my mate made a brake pipe blank thing and disconnected the rear brakes and blanked the hole so at least i have front brakes and i can stop
and it doesnt piss fluid everywhere
and to add the the annoyance my down pipe has a 2" split and it sounds like a tractor
but hey ho the joys of owning an old car and at least im learning alot from it all

ill update when bits come it gets sorted

kev
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

kds19

Post by kds19 » 23 May 2010 01:35 am

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
well my hose turned up yay!!!!
fitted it and all was well came to bleeding the system and it bled alright
jump in the car in the morning and....

NO BLOODY BRAKES again!!!!!! sm2 sm2 sm2 sm2
so my dad suggested that some of the copper pipe flres my not have been done quite right
so redone them all tried to bleed it and now it wont even bleed all the air out the system
so i changed the handbrake master cylinder and still nothing then thought i was maybe doing something wrong
so i got a shot of a vacuum bleed kit from my work, 3 hours i had it on and still nothing.
so i have no idea what to do i have no money to take it to a garage, or to get a new exhaust atm

has anyone on here got a hydraulic handbrake on their 300? if so could you explain how you fitted yours to see if mine is connected up wrong?
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

kds19

Post by kds19 » 27 May 2010 08:29 pm

well the last couple of weeks i have been trying to decide whether or not to buy my dads bmw 318is and slowly do the volvo up or what
but i have decided i need the volvo in my life on a daily basis im not keen for power steering and a pish car with no character lol jokes
so on tuesday i recieved this (courtesy of 340glt) b19 cylinder head WOOHOOO!!!! lol
which i started stripping
and was left with this
i then armed myself with a can of wd40 and a brush and started cleaning which left the exhaust side looking like this
wd40mis an amazing cleaner, engine grease gone in no time
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
so intend i on bolting 2 of these on

so the plans for the head are to get it skimmed, ported and polished
im still waiting for my k cam from classicswede.

but as for the car i still have no brakes, lol. but i bought some copper pipe so ill bypass the hydro wand for just no so my car is still safe.
i have ordered a new ebay spec down pipe to stop the annoying farting noise that is coming from a 3 inch split and is getting louder and louder the more i drive
:cry: that was £30 inc postage 8)
i got a new downpipe gasket, and clamp today for the princely sum of........ feck all!!!
also ordered a stereo fascia off egay so god only knows how well it will fit if at lol but i was a fiver and its better than the wood that is holding the cd player in atm. lol
so hopefully my downpipe should be here soon
i am hoping (probably to hopeful) for about 160bhp
also gonna sort out a frankenstien clutch/flywheel combo consisting of mk2 golf a 740 turbo parts sm4
then once that is done and the car is welded im just gonna abuse the crap out of it untill i get bored of the powers then it will be getting 2.3na powers sm2 sm2
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 27 May 2010 09:03 pm

looks good how have you plumed up your handbrake from start to finish
then we can go from there

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 27 May 2010 10:07 pm

What was the '160' cylinder head fitted to out of interest? I assume B19E? My B19A has a 405 head and I didn't realise the B19E would differ here!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

kds19

Post by kds19 » 27 May 2010 10:21 pm

you would have to ask 340glt as i have no idea lol
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

kds19

Post by kds19 » 27 May 2010 10:27 pm

mat_91 wrote:looks good how have you plumed up your handbrake from start to finish
then we can go from there
right the one brake pipe that runs to the rear from the pressure valve thing (passenger side chassis leg under bonnet)
i removed it
i ran a new pipe from there into the inlet of the handbrake cylinder
then from the outlet of the handbrake cylinder and into a t piece
one pipe from the t pice to the drvers side rear wheel cylinder
then another pipe from t piece to the passenger side wheel cylinder.

no leaky fluid from anywhere, but when i get it bled the footbrake feels good and hard and so does the handbrake
but the more i drive it the worse it gets. my mate bled it on tuesday night and it worked but it still went away but not near as quick
hope this helps
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 27 May 2010 10:31 pm

right im soon to be fitting my diy one so just had a look how im going to plum it so its what ever you thinks best
if you do this i cant stress how much it is to make sure every things done properly it is after all you life line so if you go out and have a smash dont come moaning to me cos sumets been done wrong
so heres what i think all lefts and rights :P are as if your sat it the drivers seat
when you look at pic 1 this is on my 1.4 340 might me different for your 360 its located on the left side inner chassis leg
when you look at it you will see to pipes going into it i think its a break balancer of some sort
i dont think its needed and might just be whats throwing you so what im going to do join the pipe that goes from the master cylinder left front straight into the left front calliper so its just straight from the master cylinder to the calliper on the left side
with the rear its pretty much the same just disconnect the line for the rear that goes into the break balance
and connect it to the rear brake line so the brake lines arent connected to break balancer
then from there connect the rear break line into the input of the hydro and the run the output to the to the rear break line
which in the 340s case splits vie the left rear wheel cylinder the bleed as necessary with some good quality dot 4 break fluid
i hope this helps just i cant stress how much this should be done with good quality parts and make sure its right before you take it for a spin anyway any questions just ask me

kds19

Post by kds19 » 27 May 2010 10:41 pm

yeah i know what you are sayin. just do away with the balancer thing altogether?
my mate suggested to try running th rear line straight from the master cylinder as it is different on my 360ill post a pic tomorrow so ill maybe give it a try and see how it goes so at least you will know if its a big no no lol
i am willing to try anything atm
thanks for the info man
kev
Last edited by kds19 on 27 May 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 27 May 2010 10:49 pm

well looking at it it should work (should lol )the only thing i can see that might throw it
is the fact the front is split left to right but that all depends on how the master cylinders pistons move
but i think you could get round that by plumbing them to each other but that might make to much pressure
and blow the front callipers i relay need to get my finger out and build mine

kds19

Post by kds19 » 27 May 2010 10:56 pm

yeha well at the weekend ill try running just the rear line straight from the master cylinder and see how that goes first
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!