How to replace oil in shocks?

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Nosher

How to replace oil in shocks?

Post by Nosher » 22 Jun 2011 10:11 pm

hey

ive had a quick search and couldnt really find anything, does anyone know how to replace the oil in the shocks?

ive heard that swapping oil in the front shocks to gearbox oil will stiffen them up as it is thicker, how would i go about doing it?

im only gonna be running them like that briefly, untill i can afford some adjustable shocks off dai...

jon-ovlov

Re: How to replace oil in shocks?

Post by jon-ovlov » 22 Jun 2011 10:44 pm

If you take off the strut assembly, spring etc, it'll reveal at the top of the strut tube a large nut that screws into the strut. Take that off, the damper assembly out, drain the old oil. Then put the thicker oil in, and put everything back on.

I never replaced the oil myself, but took the strut assembly apart to put Dai's dampers in. Some cars have damper inserts , some (older versions) use the strut tower as the damper housing, so there was no insert.

Hope that helped a little bit. :lol: Theres definitely some one else on here who can give a more detailed run down though!
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Vermilion

Re: How to replace oil in shocks?

Post by Vermilion » 23 Jun 2011 09:52 am

IF you have the shock out of the strut, it could be wiser to replace the shocks for a quality pair
Volvo 340 L 1983