doubling up leaf springs

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
andy_h

doubling up leaf springs

Post by andy_h » 15 Sep 2011 09:26 pm

I want to double up the rear leafs to help with the landy shocks on order. I've been offered some 340 springs would they be any good with my 360 glt leafs? And if so could some one point me in the right direction of the metal ties for the springs.

Cheers

mattywatsit

Re: doubling up leaf springs

Post by mattywatsit » 15 Sep 2011 09:38 pm

I would be interested in this too, as I am looking to tow with my 360 and doubling the leaf springs would help with counter-acting the rear sagging.

andy_h

Post by andy_h » 15 Sep 2011 10:21 pm

well i'll be making my own clamps after seeing this........ Image bring on the springs.....

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 15 Sep 2011 10:27 pm

clamps aren't needed.

couple of things to bear in mind, doubling the rear springs raises the car quite a bit!
the leaf's are A-symmetrical, bear this in mind when you're cutting the extra leaf for fitting

best way to fit dual leafsprings (also in combo with lowering blocks) is with the std 4bolt setup; and get rid of the locating bump on both original and added leafspring(firmly clamp the locating bump in a vice; then turn the leafspring etc untill it is loose); drill a ø10mm hole through both of the leafsprings so you can put a locating bolt through.

put a bit of coppergrease or special leafspring-tape inbetween the springs and you're done.

andy_h

Post by andy_h » 15 Sep 2011 11:13 pm

thanks for the info, very handy! Also when you say doubling up raises the suspension is that with 360 glt on 360 glt springs and how much? i'm just wondering as i've read 340 springs have a different composition. correct me if i'm wrong and if there is no difference then there should be no problem doubling up 360 and 340 springs?

sammysideways

Post by sammysideways » 16 Sep 2011 04:36 pm

how much does it raise the car? ive only got half a inch limit on the tolerance it can go higher. also does it handle better or is it to stiff?

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 16 Sep 2011 05:05 pm

GLT springs are naturally lowered by an inch compared to other 340/360 springs, and slightly stiffer; so car doesn't come up as much as you think but it will get raised; try combining it with 2" blocks and check the stance etc.

that setup on my 340T is including the spring 3" lowering, i estimate the car only goes down about 3 or 4cm
with Koni Yellow shock the rear stiffened up quite a bit and damp/spring rate is well balanced atm, i\m going a slightly different route for the rear suspension but it's a good combo