hydraulic handbrake?

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
charlieog1243

hydraulic handbrake?

Post by charlieog1243 » 27 Nov 2011 04:46 pm

hi i want one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-SPEC-45-D ... 1c1ffdd038

but tbh i dont really no alot about them im not sure how u plumb them in and in the advert above it says: Bias Valve and Master Cylinder(can be supplied with either .625, .700 or .750 cylinder, if no preference is made we will supply a .750) i just have no clue about them just need some info i tryed doing a search online and they all just chat on about them i need an idiots guide tbh lol

thanks for looking

mat_91

Re: hydraulic handbrake?

Post by mat_91 » 27 Nov 2011 08:18 pm

how much lol rally designs sell them much cheap drift works is the same part but cost abit more both can be run vertical and horizontal
rally designs do a longer handler version as well for a bit more this is the normal one which is long enough http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=4089
drift works same as above but not as cheap it even comes with rally design manuals inside lol had this one fitted in my 5 series and it never had a problem
http://www.driftworks.com/shop/driftwor ... -only.html
all the bits ive ordered from drift works have come next day apart from bushes as they didnt stock them for my 5 series bmw

fitting wise make sure they hydro is fitted in line with your arm pulling it or you could bend the lever
plumbing wise goes like this
you take the feed for the rear brake line plumb it through the hydro then it carrys on to the rear brakes
very simple
bleeding wise is like normal but first you press the foot brake then pull the hyrdo
will take two people as normal
do not attend if your not completely sure what your doing get some one who is, if you mess it up dont come crying to me
ps you still need to keep the cable hand brake to please the mot man
pictures fitted in my 5 series notice the angle hope that lot helps

charlieog1243

Post by charlieog1243 » 27 Nov 2011 10:42 pm

mat_91 wrote:how much lol rally designs sell them much cheap drift works is the same part but cost abit more both can be run vertical and horizontal
rally designs do a longer handler version as well for a bit more this is the normal one which is long enough http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=4089
drift works same as above but not as cheap it even comes with rally design manuals inside lol had this one fitted in my 5 series and it never had a problem
http://www.driftworks.com/shop/driftwor ... -only.html
all the bits ive ordered from drift works have come next day apart from bushes as they didnt stock them for my 5 series bmw

fitting wise make sure they hydro is fitted in line with your arm pulling it or you could bend the lever
plumbing wise goes like this
you take the feed for the rear brake line plumb it through the hydro then it carrys on to the rear brakes
very simple
bleeding wise is like normal but first you press the foot brake then pull the hyrdo
will take two people as normal
do not attend if your not completely sure what your doing get some one who is, if you mess it up dont come crying to me
ps you still need to keep the cable hand brake to please the mot man
pictures fitted in my 5 series notice the angle hope that lot helps

cheers buddie spot on :D ye bit pricey i was just after a link for a pic tbh lol going to get a driftworks one with a willwood

Alex Laidlaw

Post by Alex Laidlaw » 28 Nov 2011 12:51 am

The rear brakes on a 340 axle don't really do anything of any note and the handbrake is next to useless, my MOT man did comment last time that it couldn't be much use for road rallying!

If you want working rear brakes and a decent handbrake the easiest thing to do is fit a 360 rear axle, this is what Chris C has done to his. There is some kind of rear brake restrictor fitted to the 360 so if you fit the 360 rear brakes without the restrictor you'll get a rearward brake bias. You could then fit an adjustable bias valve to the rear line or live with a car that is exciting under braking.

A hydraulic handbrake probably isn't really necessary, certainly not until you've learnt to use a good cable handbrake. If you're going to fit a hydraulic handbrake be very careful, in a car with a single master cylinder brake circuit like the 340 dodgy plumbing really isn't something to laugh about. You'll need a brake pipe flaring tool (£50 plus), pipe bender and new pipe fittings, it would also be advisable to replace the brake lines if you're going to the trouble of fitting a hydraulic handbrake. Ensure the lines are properly secured and not liable to get caught or hit by anything, they're worryingly easy to damage.

charlieog1243

Post by charlieog1243 » 28 Nov 2011 02:54 pm

i did notice that my handbrake is pretty shit loll but the hydro wil be going on a 360 i will get a hydro and have a go fitting it to my 340 so i no how to do it though

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 28 Nov 2011 03:27 pm

hydros are the best thing since sliced bread make life so much easier drifting for the odd tweak mid drift and some entrys dont hang on it thou

fit new brakes pipes is allways a good move and you dont need a pipe bender ive never used one just be carefully not to kink the pipe and flaring tool get it from here ive got one and its the best ive ever used you may have to scoll down on this link for it its on 30 odd quid i also get my brake pipe from these guys as its pretty cheap but good stuff

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... kes.php#tc

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 22 Dec 2011 01:21 am

dont get a driftworks one! the handles bend like cheese no matter how well positioned they are, when well used anyways, i bent my mates in his mx5 on a drift day and wasn't going for it that much as it wasn't my car, spoke to loads of people that day thinking it was my fault and they all said the same

cheers

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 22 Dec 2011 06:55 pm

there early ones did but not there new ones, mine had some hard hard abuse but its like any hydro a good percentage of them are mounted incorrectly thats why they bend then need to be parallel to the direction you pull it with your arm also the driftworks ones are just rally designs one with abit more money on top they even come with rally deisgn labels inside the box hahaha

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 23 Dec 2011 03:30 am

the one in the mx5 was perfectly parallel, we met up with the guy from slidemotorsport who sold it to my mate and he had a look and checked it was fitted propper, even they said the same about the drift works ones, been to around 17 drift events this year all over the country and you hear it every were you go, would have been fuked it it was fitted wrong as i pull the thing abit hard lol,

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 23 Dec 2011 12:05 pm

hmmm very strange never had problems with mine and my friends have never had problems well when i told him to mount it better. alot of them arent inline with your arm which makes them bend at there being pulled sideways but hay ho im not calling you a lier just what ive seen they are pretty beefy not sure how anyone bends them