New Member With A Couple Suspension Questions

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
charlieog1243

Re: New Member With A Couple Suspension Questions

Post by charlieog1243 » 08 Jan 2012 11:58 am

i have landy shocks and cut springs on mine for normal driving it isnt very nice but for drifting/fast road its good and deff weld the diff it makes it look stupid coming out of a parking space lol but then when your sideways round a corner you look pimp 340pw haha

Callum

Post by Callum » 08 Jan 2012 04:52 pm

Evoman wrote:you'd be suprised how little metal you need for such huge amounts of torque. Good penetration is what she needs
LOL! :lol:

Charlie: How'dya mean its not great as a daily? Too hard a ride? Stepping out when you dont want it too etc?

Probably already seen the thread but i pushed her a little too hard and broke it :(

http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... =5&t=12936

Cheers

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 10 Jan 2012 10:33 pm

dont listen to all the hipe about welders they wont bite you they are stupily predicable alot better than any LSD car ive been in
if you drive like a dick in teh wet then yer i may want to chuck the arse out like a car with a LSD fitted thing with a welder is its predicable every single time
if you come onto a island say then accelerate it probley will understeer but drop the clutch and sideways it will be
just do it and for the first week/wet period just take it easy to get used to the feel

and finally just do it

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 10 Jan 2012 10:45 pm

mat_91 wrote:it probley will understeer but drop the clutch and sideways it will be
Thats another thing with welded diffs. Because the rear wheels are fighting each other to stay in a straight line, that dont want to go round a corner unless your sideways, so you get understeer. When i used to do karting, because karts use a solid rear axle with no diff, the whole set-up was based around getting the inside rear wheel to just hover around half an inch off the ground so that the kart would turn in and the rear wheels wouldn't fight each other. Thats why im staying with an open diff, i'm going to set-up the car to turn in and corner, if the diff was welded that makes things 10x harder. But you can still go sideways with an open diff, but when your tearing through the countryside what you dont want is loads of understeer lol Thomas.....................

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 10 Jan 2012 11:30 pm

Attack2001 wrote:
mat_91 wrote:it probley will understeer but drop the clutch and sideways it will be
Thats another thing with welded diffs. Because the rear wheels are fighting each other to stay in a straight line, that dont want to go round a corner unless your sideways, so you get understeer. When i used to do karting, because karts use a solid rear axle with no diff, the whole set-up was based around getting the inside rear wheel to just hover around half an inch off the ground so that the kart would turn in and the rear wheels wouldn't fight each other. Thats why im staying with an open diff, i'm going to set-up the car to turn in and corner, if the diff was welded that makes things 10x harder. But you can still go sideways with an open diff, but when your tearing through the countryside what you dont want is loads of understeer lol Thomas.....................
+1

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 11 Jan 2012 01:23 am

Yes. The long and short of it is - what are you using the car for?

The 340 I had was best with an open diff because it was a fast road car which was great fun on A roads. But my next car is having a welded diff because it's going to be a drifting car. I've tried drifting with an open diff and yes it can be done. But holy hell it's scary! Especially when you start to feel the back start to bite again and there's nothing you can do to stop it "digging in".

This next car is going to be so much fun, can't wait.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 11 Jan 2012 12:54 pm

I'm with Speedy on this one. What are you going to use it for? Mines a road car, built to drift and have fun in. Not a fast road car.

Tom has hit the nail on the head too.

I run a welder on mine, and use it daily. It's fine in the wet so long as you don't floor it everywhere, as you WILL spin. I just drive normally everywhere, unless I want to go sideways (I drive normally anyway, I hate heavy footed bastards who just drive like idiots everywhere). I had a go drifting it with an open diff, and like Speedy said, it can be done, but it's unpredictable. It'll grip and lose grip on and off, and I was just flailing at the wheel. With a welder, I can hold the slide really easily, and it's very predictable.

And like Matt said, drive around for a week just getting used to driving around tight corners not sideways, slowly. It's a little different. Skipping wheels and a few clunks, but it's fine. Only happens at very slow speeds and tight corners.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 11 Jan 2012 05:17 pm

I welded my diff jesterday, def worth it, i was sick and tired of standing still in tthe snow all the time with one wheel spinning like crazy and the other wheel standing perfectly still
it will understeer a bit in low speeds, and the steering wheel will get a bit heavier than before, but in higher speeds you wont notice anything
Makes it alot easier to skid around with too, wich is always fun :D more predictable and you dont have to push it that hard to go sideways
Just dont clutch it out too much in the dry, it will get fucked quick! :lol:
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 11 Jan 2012 07:42 pm

they dont under steer when driving fast ive had welders in all sorts of cars and never had/seen it
your gunna get it if your running crappy 145s in the wet or something daft but with decent 195/50/15s at 30psi it will stick, i had part worn bridge-stones on the front of the blue 340 so not ammazing top quailty tyres and that never understeered you could chuck it in and any speed i mean even daft sometimes and then plant it out the courners with no under steer, also with a welder drive out the courners is massively better

theres alot of hypes around welded diffs that simply isnt true they can be used for fast road
back when ford sierras were rallying they ran welders :D :D

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 11 Jan 2012 07:51 pm

Christ, thank God you used a comma at the end of that paragraph, I was nearly out of breath reading that!! PUNTUATION!!!! ARGHH USE IT MORE!!! :lol:

Anyway, old series ran welders did they? Win for simple engineering!
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 11 Jan 2012 07:57 pm

I was going to run a welder as i changed my transaxle when i got the car, as the original the reverse idler was trying to engage all the time :shock: The spare one i put in had a welder and i didnt check before i put it in :roll: But anyway, here's a video for you :) Now this bloke used to run 500+bhp cosworth sierras round bathurst. He used a 'spool' diff, which is basically a diff thats been made with nothing in the middle, which is the same as a welded one :D Now have a look at this, he managed it, so you should be able to? Im sticking with open though, as i want my rubber to stay on the tyres :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlir7J_ycv0

Thomas........................
Last edited by Attack2001 on 11 Jan 2012 08:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 11 Jan 2012 08:03 pm

The other thing is a lot of young people move over from saxos and fiestas (which I'm not being harsh, means they haven't learned to drive) and they'll do stupid things like thinking turning more or braking or decelerating while understeering will solve the understeer. Hense the forum numptys who'll go on DW and proclaim "Welders give you understeer!".

They then buy another fiesta and understeer into a traffic island.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 11 Jan 2012 08:14 pm

speedy88 i do forget about that, i must remember there is inferior motor cars out there that understeer :lol: and new drivers who have probley never been in a rwd car never less drive one i understand that point but you dont learn by not doing

hmm attack 2001 i could understand your point about tyre wear if you was running a fire breathing 500hp mental race prepped 340 on a race track (if you are why dont we know :D)
but driving what tops 150hp i cant rememeber what engine your running, to run to the shops and go to work and the odd track/drift days its not rely a issue of tyre wear allthought yes low speeds skipping they can be annoying/funny for on lookers and understeer but you do get used to it and i forget about it untill i get in a car with a open diff haha

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 11 Jan 2012 08:19 pm

It always puts a smile on my face when it skips. It's hilarious, everyone goes "WTF is wrong with that car? " Alas, they will never know. And when you go "oh, it's supposed to be like that" the faces they pull, ha ha!!

My rear tyres have lasted ages too with the welder on. I didn't expect that really. My front tyres wore much quicker, but that's because the tracking's stuffed. Still got 7mm or so of tread left on the rears, plenty of life. Granted only drifting in the wet with those tyres, but still, for £30 a corner not bloody bad!
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 11 Jan 2012 09:02 pm

At £66 each tyre - 195/45/13, and it took me a month to find a set, i need to slow the wear rate of these tyres right down, or i'll end up getting a set of 175/50/13's which i dont like the stretch onto an 8j and plus, everyone welds the diffs in the 340's, and i like to be different :wink: