Coilovers?

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
WannabeStarShark

Re: Coilovers?

Post by WannabeStarShark » 17 May 2012 04:56 pm

I need to ring them too!

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 17 May 2012 04:59 pm

They can work with the standard top mount yes. I've just specified to Gaz to have S13 top mount fitment instead of volvo fitment. there is a large choice of spring stiffness too.

Aftermarket S13 top mounts allow camber adjustability, and the dampers that come with the coilover conversion allow for damping adjustment too. Also, because the S13 mounts are pilloball (solid) they won't perish over time like the standard volvo rubber ones, but will also be stiffer and in theory give a better steering feel.

Fitting isn't too bad, just re-drill the strut tower and either weld a strengthening plate to the top to help with the removed metal. Or make up a strut brace and strengthen it that way.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

WannabeStarShark

Post by WannabeStarShark » 17 May 2012 05:44 pm

I was reading the SR20 340 thread on driftworks, they've done the same thing, looks the bollocks, they put a roller bearing in aswell as the rose joint on the top mount so it has less strain, think i'll go with the s13 top mounts as i want to adjust the camber :)

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 17 May 2012 05:58 pm

Cool. That roller bearing is the standard bearing used in the volvo struts. They machined a seat where the bearing could be placed (in the coil spring top retainer), so the rotational forces when steering would be put through that instead. Also has a larger surface area than the top mount bearing, so reduces the strain in compression too.
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 17 May 2012 06:07 pm

ahh interesting, so if you use the 2s13 top mounts do you use the 300 bearing of the nissan stuff? like i say i know nothing about this stuff so feel free to treat me like a idiot lol, is there any custom parts needed apart from the extra strength?

cheers

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 17 May 2012 06:28 pm

Eh? not too sure what you're on about. You use the 340's bearing, which is located in the top spring cup of the coilover. Then the top-mount rests on that. No more custom bits. everything else is the same because you're using the standard volvo strut. So the steering rod ends, radius arms, and ball joints all mounted exactly where they would have done originally.

that what you mean?
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 18 May 2012 05:40 pm

basicaly just makeing sure there wasnt any more parts required really mate,

would anyone be interested in a group buy, i asked if they would do a group discount in one of my emails and they want to know how many would want it doing? if theres enough interest then its all good buy im not fucking about so post up asap

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 20 May 2012 03:19 pm

i would be interested
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

Drift-rat-jim

Post by Drift-rat-jim » 22 May 2012 08:12 am

Any 1 done coilovers for the rear lol

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 22 May 2012 11:05 am

You'll have to convert the rear end to watt's link or 5-point, and get rid of the leaf springs. If you've seen Nev's SR360 build on DW you'll know what I mean. More than do-able, but a lot of fabrication work. Something i intend to do in the future, but probably not until I leave uni. We'll see.
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 28 May 2012 09:46 am

Nev designed the coilovers to work with the s13 top mounts because it was an easy and simple way to convert the 300's over to castor/camber plates. The s13 top mounts can be fitted to allow castor adjustment, or rotate them 90degrees and fit them and you have camber adjustment, which of course the usual choice. You probably could get GAZ to make them to fit with the normal top mounts, but why would you want too? To fit the s13 stuff all you have to do is make the hole in the middle of the strut tower bigger to accommodate the camber adjustment, and re-drill the 3 holes around the edge for the 3 on the s13 top mount, easy and simple :D

The extra bearing in the spring top cup is just a reuse of the volvo design, the bearings take the weight of the car instead of the bearing in the top mount, well, they both take the weight, but the extra bearing takes some off the top mount, this allows the top mount to work easier at what its for which is the articulation of the strut as it goes up down up down left right etc etc. The bearing has the be machined into the spring top cup, and then the centre hole of the bearing has to be made bigger by about 1mm to allow it to slide over the damper rod, which is easy enough with a grind stone and a die grinder :)

I recall the break down from nev for the coilovers was something like 450 for the coilovers exchange, plus a further 80 odd for the top mounts, then postage to get it all to you. However if more and more people are enquiring about them, then likely hood is there lowering the price as they can see it as more of a viable market i suppose?

Here's some more pictars of the coilies, all together and ready to go on the car :) Which should be soon :mrgreen:

I've had these sat around for what must be 6 months now, as im waiting for my dad to finish using the car to get to and from work (i only go to college and work up the road so its more useful to him) And even now i still look them with a big grin :mrgreen: haha

Thomas..................

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 29 May 2012 12:41 am

ahh so the spring top cup dose have to be machined for volvo bearing, they do look dammm sexy :)

o and gaz will do them to fit standard volvo top mounts but they havent done any as of yet so the first person to have them done would have to send a insert with them so they can get measurements etc

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 29 May 2012 10:39 am

wiganer31 wrote:ahh so the spring top cup dose have to be machined for volvo bearing, they do look dammm sexy :)

o and gaz will do them to fit standard volvo top mounts but they havent done any as of yet so the first person to have them done would have to send a insert with them so they can get measurements etc
I have a spare insert if you want it? Just pay for postage and i'll send it out to you :)

Thomas....................

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 29 May 2012 02:15 pm

Attack2001 wrote:
wiganer31 wrote:ahh so the spring top cup dose have to be machined for volvo bearing, they do look dammm sexy :)

I have a spare insert if you want it? Just pay for postage and i'll send it out to you :)

last week i might have had it but after seeing that fuking pic again i want s13 topmounts now :P
is it the oil inserts you have? i whent to fill my shocks up as a temp thing befoere i get this done n the previous owner had fitted gas inserts lol

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 29 May 2012 02:59 pm

wiganer31 wrote:
Attack2001 wrote:

last week i might have had it but after seeing that fuking pic again i want s13 topmounts now :P
is it the oil inserts you have? i whent to fill my shocks up as a temp thing befoere i get this done n the previous owner had fitted gas inserts lol
I have an oil insert damper, as opposed to the older style where the oil sits inside the strut tubing.

S13 top mounts are easy to use, like i said, simply make the whole in the middle of the strut tower bigger, and re-drill the 3 holes so it bolts up, like so:

Although driftmoto decided to add an extra ring around the top as its going to be a savage car, just for extra strength like this:

And here you can see them in position :)

Thomas........................