Coilovers?

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
jon-ovlov

Re: Coilovers?

Post by jon-ovlov » 29 May 2012 03:24 pm

Yeah man. I won't do that strengthened top when I do mine, but will have a strut brace instead. I would have both, but the studs of the S13 mounts seem too short for both strengthening plate and strut brace.

Still waiting on mine. Soon . . . . :twisted:
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 29 May 2012 06:30 pm

gonna have to go for s13 top mounts now lol, i need to have a search on for sone inserts that you can fill with oil in the mean time

seannaayy

Post by seannaayy » 01 Jun 2012 02:48 pm

id definately be interested in a group buy, providing the price is right ofc :P

theo2468

Post by theo2468 » 05 Jul 2012 06:54 pm

Interesting read! Going to have to do this, so if I sent some bare struts to gaz, bought some s13 top mounts and got a strut brace made up I.could happily fit them?
C25 ECV-1985-Mk2 340GL-Kessy
A889 VUY-1983-Mk2 360GLS-RUF
volvosneverdie wrote:Vnd says:
diffs, are like pubs and legs.
Best appreciated when open.
I probably should have specified ladies legs in there too. [+=] "embarrarrased emoticon"[].com

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 05 Jul 2012 11:39 pm

theo2468 wrote:Interesting read! Going to have to do this, so if I sent some bare struts to gaz, bought some s13 top mounts and got a strut brace made up I.could happily fit them?
When you order them, you need to have them done F1 moto style, or 2inches short and the top of the damper rod mahcined to take an s13 camber plate :P Once you have them, you have to do the bearing modification. Once thats done, you can use the camber plates pretty much as they are, however, the top nut that comes with the plates (the s13 one), you have to use as the top spacer on the coilies, to centralise the bearing on the rod. Now the problem is this top nut, not only is it a rough fit, it fits ok with regards to the hole/thread in the middle etc, but im going to be having new ones machined up at some point. But the main thing is its too tall, you cant get the actual top nut to wind down into its nyloc, this also means you cant get to the adjuster. So you have to cut down the top nut a bit and then your all good to go :) I'll find some pics in a bit :)

Thomas............................

theo2468

Post by theo2468 » 09 Jul 2012 09:05 pm

whats the bearing modification?
if you could get some pics up i would highly appreciate it tom!
C25 ECV-1985-Mk2 340GL-Kessy
A889 VUY-1983-Mk2 360GLS-RUF
volvosneverdie wrote:Vnd says:
diffs, are like pubs and legs.
Best appreciated when open.
I probably should have specified ladies legs in there too. [+=] "embarrarrased emoticon"[].com

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 10 Jul 2012 12:08 am

theo2468 wrote:whats the bearing modification?
if you could get some pics up i would highly appreciate it tom!
Bearing modification :) Taking a standard 300 strut top bearing, and having it machined into the top of the coilover spring top cup, to take the load of the car during steering :)

And this is what i meant about the top nut needing to be shortened to allow the nut to tighten into the nyloc :)

This is with it assembled, and the s13 top nut being used to centralise the top of the camber plate, with the actual top nut on top. As you can see the adjuster is half way inside the nyloc, and the nyloc isnt even touching the thread.

So what i've done, is cut the hexagonal bit off the top, and smoothed it round so it looks like the centralising spacer that goes on the bottom. This then allowed the nyloc to grip the thread, and the adjuster was free to be adjusted :)

Hope this helps :D Thomas.........................

WannabeStarShark

Post by WannabeStarShark » 20 Oct 2012 01:17 pm

Attack2001 wrote:
theo2468 wrote:Interesting read! Going to have to do this, so if I sent some bare struts to gaz, bought some s13 top mounts and got a strut brace made up I.could happily fit them?
When you order them, you need to have them done F1 moto style, or 2inches short and the top of the damper rod mahcined to take an s13 camber plate :P Once you have them, you have to do the bearing modification. Once thats done, you can use the camber plates pretty much as they are, however, the top nut that comes with the plates (the s13 one), you have to use as the top spacer on the coilies, to centralise the bearing on the rod. Now the problem is this top nut, not only is it a rough fit, it fits ok with regards to the hole/thread in the middle etc, but im going to be having new ones machined up at some point. But the main thing is its too tall, you cant get the actual top nut to wind down into its nyloc, this also means you cant get to the adjuster. So you have to cut down the top nut a bit and then your all good to go :) I'll find some pics in a bit :)

What do you mean by F1 moto style or 2 inches short???

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 20 Oct 2012 02:08 pm

WannabeStarShark wrote:
Attack2001 wrote:

What do you mean by F1 moto style or 2 inches short???
F1 moto style is 2inches shortened with the s13 top mounts etc etc however I've been reliably informed you cant go direct to gaz, you have to go through Mr Nev at f1moto

Thomas...........
Last edited by Attack2001 on 08 Nov 2012 09:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WannabeStarShark

Post by WannabeStarShark » 20 Oct 2012 05:41 pm

sorry im confused which part gets shortened?? have to go through nev for what? to get the coilovers made up?

wiganer31

Post by wiganer31 » 21 Oct 2012 02:06 am

When they say 2 inch shorter i think they mean the length of the damper? And i havent had time to read through the bits about going threw nev for stuff but you dont have to go threw nev to have the coilovers made, i rang gaz when i was getting thinking of getting them done, they asked me if i wanted them done to fit s13 top mounts so you dont need to go threw nev for that either, it seems like they will do anything you ask within reason, just email them what your after, there help full from my experience

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 21 Oct 2012 11:21 pm

The damper body has been shortened two inches, and the damper rod has been shortened two inches too. This allows you to go lower but still have damper travel. My friend tried to go straight to Gaz a few weeks ago. They refused to sell him any and told him to go through nev.

Thomas...........

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 22 Oct 2012 12:22 am

Attack2001 wrote:The damper body has been shortened two inches, and the damper rod has been shortened two inches too. This allows you to go lower but still have damper travel. My friend tried to go straight to Gaz a few weeks ago. They refused to sell him any and told him to go through nev.

Thomas...........
Surely this still reduces travel by 2 inchs just like a 2inch drop would? To keep the orginal travel, but still lower it, you'd need to shorten the overall height of the strut or push the strut further into the car?

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 22 Oct 2012 12:39 am

I made these a while ago.

Nice drop, and full travel. Nikidev done the same when he welded the S13 coilovers to his Volvo uprights.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 22 Oct 2012 12:43 am

L14MNP wrote:I made these a while ago.

Nice drop, and full travel. Nikidev done the same when he welded the S13 coilovers to his Volvo uprights.

Yeah I've been meaning to do that to my spare struts. What diameter tubing did you use? And how did you get the old one out? Looks like you've machined the bottom off?

Thomas.........