adjusting

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
tim-andre

adjusting

Post by tim-andre » 10 Sep 2012 08:57 pm

i need help with adjusting camber/caster, in short; the whole front of the car, tire wear is massive on the inside of the tires, didnt notice this before today when the tire exploded
also, it steers a bit to the left, im guessing the tires stands something like this |---/ dont know what this is called, but is it something i can adjust by myself or do i need to spend 200£ on a 4-wheel control or whatever its called?

also, how hard is it to put in after marked seats/bucket seats in the 360? since the drivers seat found out that it wanted to brake at the same time as the tire...

sorry for my bad english, and thanks in advance for all replies
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: adjusting

Post by classicswede » 10 Sep 2012 09:10 pm

Sounds like you need the tracking setting up.

I would also consider getting the castor/camber angles checked but they are not adjustable in original form. They should not be far out - certainly not enough to cause tire wear.

Bucket seats are not hard to fit especialy if you buy them with a fitting kit.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 10 Sep 2012 10:46 pm

i think so, the steering wheel wobles around alot at low speeds, and i have to hold it to the left so it doesnt steer of the road, is this because of the tracking being wrong? and what causes tracking to be of?

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 11 Sep 2012 10:08 am

The tracking is adjusted on the steering rack ends to keep both wheel pointing in the same direction.

I would suggest jacking the front of the car up and check for play in the front suspension bushes and joints. If any of teh joints are badly worn then this would cause the road wheel not to be in the right position.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 12 Sep 2012 06:21 pm

Have done that, no play in the suspension, bushes looks ok, could be better thou, atleast it is a good reason to buy some poly bushings of you!

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 12 Sep 2012 10:28 pm

If the steering wheel is wobbling at low speed something rotating could be bent. Either a rim, a tyre or (less likley) a stub/short axle.

Lift the front and back seperately and spin the wheels by hand, and look at the rim edges and front face looking for uneven spinning. Should be relatively easy to find and sort. It could just be that the tracking has worn the tyres badly, you need new tyres, tracking should not cost >£20. Tracking only needs adjustment normally if something has been bent, or the rack has been replaced.

note that !/ doesn't really happen, you will just centre the steering wheel to make it \/, an off centre steering wheel should not make much difference,although some tyre people say it can cause pulling, I doubt it.

If the steering is pulling, it could be tracking or something is bent like the front cross member, or the rear axle. a full laser alignment check might help to narrow down. Another less inocuous cause is worn bushes, the camber of the road can cause it too pull more when the suspension is worn. Can be alot harder to track this down.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 15 Sep 2012 12:59 pm

i think some of the problem was with the rims/ tires, since i changed to another set i had lieing around, and the woble was not that bad..
things look straight under there, may be the bushes, since some of them have seen better days, i think maybe some of the parts has been changed before and not been correctly alligned thou, so now im trying to find someone who could do that cheap around here

Thanks for the replies btw! :D