kyb front dampers

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
pyro

kyb front dampers

Post by pyro » 23 May 2009 11:18 pm

evening all,
just wondering if anyone knows anything about the kyb front dampers, ie how do they compare to the standard dampers, value etc.
https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/k ... ordID=2923
think thats the link
oh yeah opinions of the site aswell!

thanks - ben
* Disclaimer
One of the above statements may or may not be true - but probably not.

Mors Principium Est

Now a proud member of YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

racing-street

Re: kyb front dampers

Post by racing-street » 27 May 2009 01:59 pm

i have got the excel-g for the front but i haven,t fitted them, probably in a few days i can tell you something

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 » 20 Oct 2009 07:25 pm

Hi Guys,
Fitten Land Rover 90 shocks to the rear and I'm looking at something, anything for the front - how did those KYB shocks work out on your cars?

Thanks!
Nick
Nick

'89 Volvo 360 GLT B200E & '97 Honda VFR 750
ImageImage

monka

Post by monka » 20 Oct 2009 08:07 pm

what year do they need to be on the front?

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 20 Oct 2009 08:25 pm

Gas is always best - but believe me, after your old knackered shocks, anything is going to be a vast improvement. I think Chris has KYB gas shocks on one of his 300's.
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 20 Oct 2009 10:52 pm

asuming budget will not allow adjustable you do need gas dampers. KYB may still offer them and QH also do them
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 21 Oct 2009 08:41 am

They do a model called Excel-G which are apparently supposed to be upto 10% stiffer, £65 a pair or something so pretty reasonable. Worth a try I reckon.

Chris, with good front suspension? Never....! :lol:
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

racing-street

Post by racing-street » 22 Oct 2009 12:19 pm

i proved them (excel-g) in my car, and for drifting are not stiff enough, they are fitted with dai,s springs wich are too "hard" for these dampers, and the don,t work perfect, but for somebody who want a bit sporty volvo with chopped or standar springs i think it,s a very good option, or if you need to replace your standar ones.

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 » 23 Oct 2009 06:40 pm

Interesting that you mention Dai's springs - I'm waiting for payday and then that was my plan, down to the letter. I'm not planning on going whole-hog drifting just yet, but I was planning on doing the springs and dampers at the same time, just because everything looks like it'd fall to pieces on disassembly anyway. Is that combination really that terrible?

I just want the damn thing to stop bouncing every time I change gear! :(
Nick

ImageImage

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 23 Oct 2009 10:04 pm

You do need very good dampers to have correct control of the springs. The important part is the rebound valving more than the bump.
Dai

phone/text 07824887160

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 23 Oct 2009 10:18 pm

I'l repeat my advice that any new dampers will impress you.

I'd bought new front gas shocks for my 360 last year. I got a garage to fit them because I was lazy and busy - they were the wrong shocks, probably 240 ones but I didn't know for sure so they went in the bin. So they bolted in a pair of hydraulics from the local motor factor. My '60 now handles better than any V300 I've ever driven - which is a few. The gas Koni adjustables on the back do most of the hard work in my opinion - the fronts just need mitigate understeer. On a RWD car natural propensity is for oversteer, and it's the Konis which control this.

There was some guy on here about a year ago, I forget his name, from Inverness coincidentally but he did have rally experience. Someone more dedicated than me can possibly link the thread. His theory is that you want a stiff rear and a relatively loose front. So he advised against uprated anti-roll bars and super stiff front springs. I think he may have a point.

Going to work I encounter a whole series of high speed roundabouts. Entering at 50mph (this is a hypothetical speed stated for demonstration purposes only) - I get a small amount of understeer, always predictable and quickly and easily corrected. Then a minute amount of understeer on exit, which does nothing to affect control but gives you a nice seat-of-the-pants sensation.

So - my advice is concentrate on rear suspension components first. Reap the benefits, then uprate the fronts incrementally - if you get a increased handling then all well and good. But if things become less able then take a step back.
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 » 24 Oct 2009 12:39 am

Thanks everyone - my first round of ugprades is relatively modest in scope, partly due to my engineering inexperience and partly due to cost! Dai can expect me to finally get back to him about those springs shortly but I'm afraid those awesome adjustable shocks will have to wait until round 2.

That's where I throw everything to the wind, tear out the interior, fit a 230 lump and bucket seats and the best suspension and tyres I can for some serious trackday fun...

Fantastic advice from everyone, as a newcomer to the 300 madness it feels like an entire backup panel of experts at my disposal - most comforting!
Nick

ImageImage

pyro

Post by pyro » 24 Oct 2009 01:09 am

id forgotten about this!

well they're fitted and have done about 300 miles now, very impressed with them, at the minute they're being used with standard springs, but ive a set of 200lb dai springs to fit when time permits. if you only do the front you'll highlight how bad the rear is, and vice versa.
:360:

Ben
* Disclaimer
One of the above statements may or may not be true - but probably not.

Mors Principium Est

Now a proud member of YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 24 Oct 2009 10:52 am

Ben any shocks will be an iprovment over orignal worn items. Anything gas is going to be even better. The KYB's are quite good value giving a slight improvment but still at std money

For a long time I got away with running std front dampers with some of my 200lbs front springs up front and 1" lowering blocks and a pair of adjustables on the rear. iT handled prettey well like that but was a little bumpy on the rougher roads around here untill I eventualy managed to do something with the front dampers.

Now if builing a car from scratch I would always do it all in one hit.
Dai

phone/text 07824887160

mrsoundcraft

Post by mrsoundcraft » 09 Nov 2009 10:55 pm

Ive got some of the KYBs, only just fitted them with 3" lowering springs. It is a little bumpy, but still to wear in Im sure. Think my wheels are toeing out a bit though, need to sort that.

Edit:

I can recommend the KYBs as a cheap option. Im really happy with how the car is driving. I want adjustables, but I had to keep my costs down somehow.