Brakes 'Sticking'

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
tommysb

Brakes 'Sticking'

Post by tommysb » 01 Jun 2009 07:40 pm

I've had a problem with my brakes sticking slightly on recently. It normally cures itself after a short while, so I've not worried about it too much, yet, but i really should get it sorted!
What could the likely caused be? I suspect (from my limited knowledge of braking systems!) it's just something along the lines of the calliper needing cleaning and refurbing, so that the piston is free to move. Does this behaviour point to any other major faults with the breaking system that I should check out as well, or anything else that it's more likely to be causing this problem? I THINK it's happening all round, rather than on just one wheel in particular though.

Thanks in advance!

daffodil

Re: Brakes 'Sticking'

Post by daffodil » 01 Jun 2009 11:40 pm

hi i have had this problem a few times on different 340s if the basic braking system is ok ie
pads calipers
shoes cylinders hanbrake linkage free
then it could be the servo or mastercylinder

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 07 Jun 2009 11:31 pm

Several causes. Possible collapsed hose on a caliper not letting the pressure back out again. Yes definitely possible to be a rusty caliper piston or guide pins on the bracket causing sticking. Also possibly a rusted master cylinder where the piston doesn't retract fully.

You really need to find out whether they're sticking on all round or whether its just one wheel. That's a good pointer for the right direction.

tommysb

Post by tommysb » 08 Jun 2009 11:21 pm

I THINK it's all round, as the heat coming off all wheels was quite intense. It's a pain, because it goes away after a while, and never manifests itself in a situation where I'm able to inspect the braking system! (I.E halfway up the M40!)

Does that then, point more towards the master cylinder? I'm quite surprised it's happening to be honest, the car's not really rusty at all, and only done 35k!

sven360

Post by sven360 » 08 Jun 2009 11:38 pm

Front hoses collapsed/collapsing.

Wont have been changed since new-low mileage so stood around a lot.

Rubber reacts to ozone,sunlight etc.....

I'd be checkin' there first.

Get Pirtek or someone to knock up some braided ones for not much more than std price.Fit and forget.
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 09 Jun 2009 08:33 am

Mine used to enjoy putting on the rear brakes on the motorway, I stripped the drums completely and renewed *everything*... I wasn't sure what it was and didn't want it happening again :lol:

Springs, shoes, cylinders (they'll likely be knackered when you get there) and grease costs about 35quid.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

tommysb

Post by tommysb » 18 Aug 2009 07:23 pm

Hopefully this is now sorted. The badly worn pads mean that calipers come out such a way, they can't easily return at the correct angle. This keeps the pads out, and wears them out, meaning that they get even thinner, etc! New pads are now in, and so far, the problem's fixed itself. 340pw