Handbrake Adjustment

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Ian Mac

Handbrake Adjustment

Post by Ian Mac » 17 Jun 2009 12:32 pm

When I replaced my CVT belts recently I though it would be a good oportunity to adjust the handbrake cable given that you need to remove the transmission covers to reach the handbrake adjuster. Strange thing was, I couldn't find any adjustment point on the handbrake cable. I can clearly see where the cable comes through the rear bulkhead and where it splits into two cables on top of the primary transmission housing but there are no obvious adjustment nuts. I know that early 340 manual handbrakes were adjusted from inside the car although I thought that the adjuster on varios is on top of the primary transmission - it certainly was on my previous two. Any ideas or am I being slightly thick and missing the obvious? - if so, the MOT tester who helped me fit the belts is equally thick because he couldn't find the handbrake cable adjuster either...!!!
Ian

No Volvo 340 at present.

volvodspec

Re: Handbrake Adjustment

Post by volvodspec » 17 Jun 2009 04:00 pm

yes, quite often there is a m8 nut where the cables split. when you just have a hook shaped piece holding the cables together above the primary, you adjust the handbrake at the handbrake leaver, inside the car.

mac

Post by mac » 17 Jun 2009 04:27 pm

Up to 1982 year models the h/brake adjustment was at the lever inside the car (B14 manual and CVT)

1983 year models on the adjustment was above the gearbox or primary unit (B14 manual and CVT, B172 manual).

On 360 models the adjustment is still under the car but further forward between the exhaust and the torque tube.

Mac
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

Ian Mac

Post by Ian Mac » 19 Jun 2009 03:53 pm

Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes...
Ian

No Volvo 340 at present.