Stooopid lowering question + another.

Front axle, springs, shock absorbers, wheels, bearings, calipers, drums...
Tuning: suspension, discs, alloys upgrade...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
magnumpi

Stooopid lowering question + another.

Post by magnumpi » 27 Apr 2010 08:26 pm

Use the search function :lol:

Well yes thats an option but i don't know if this cretin like question has been asked yet.

As i'm a jobless bum at the moment i've got too much time on my hands so thought i'd finally get my rear end lowered.
My question is: I've got 2" blocks to go on, will they lower it exactly 2" inch or is there any variables in it? I really don't want the back end to end up lower than the front so if it is an exact 2" drop i see now reason to chop 1/2" off the bottom of the blocks so it doesn't go down too far, alternatively i put them on and take a coil out my front springs, thought?

The front as it sits now already lowered: *Edit should've had the wheel straight i suppose :roll:

The rear with the block placed on tyre giving a rough estimate of the arch to tyre gap?

Last edited by magnumpi on 28 Apr 2010 06:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

Speedy88

Re: Stooopid lowering question.

Post by Speedy88 » 27 Apr 2010 11:17 pm

Well lower it, then measure the height of the car. If it's a few mm out you just need to get something else in there with the lowering block or grind some mm off it. Seems simple enough to me.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Apr 2010 09:12 am

magnumpi wrote: Image
Youre doing it wrong. :lol:

TBH dude, that Black GLT I had was down 2 at the front and 1 at the back and nobody ever noticed the slaty stance, so its not really an exact science.
Just drop it and see.

:wink:

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 28 Apr 2010 09:33 am

This is true, just try it and see. Being a lazy twunt though i just don't fancy doing it then having to do it all gain just to shim it up or grind them down.

The arches have a different radius with the front's being higher, as long as the sill is level, thats good enough for me.

Suppose i better get out there then and crack on, wish me luck :lol:
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Apr 2010 09:40 am

magnumpi wrote:
Suppose i better get out there then and crack on, wish me luck :lol:
Good luck dude.
Sure itll look awesome.

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 28 Apr 2010 11:50 am

Ah well a little luck gets me no where.

It's staying stock height, after it fell of the scissor jack and ripping my sill open :roll: the very 1st Allen key bolt i attempted to undo rounded off, and yes i had cleaned out all the crud first. Oh well guess it's just not meant to be.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Apr 2010 11:54 am

magnumpi wrote:Ah well a little luck gets me no where.

It's staying stock height, after it fell of the scissor jack and ripping my sill open .
Ouchy. I was scissoring till people saw me and made the :shock: face at me.

Trolley on the front of leaf spring ftw.
Last edited by volvosneverdie on 28 Apr 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 28 Apr 2010 11:58 am

Tbh i've always jacked it up with that and never had a problem, i just needed to get it high enough to get the axle stands under it. However it decided to just fall over onto the jack and like i say ripping the cill open like a can of rusty worms. Got photographic evidence that shall be displayed for all to laugh at later :?

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 28 Apr 2010 04:00 pm

Arse biscuits even more.

The very last bolt on my driveshaft decided to snap clean in half leaving the end wedged firmly in the hub part, if this hadn't happened i'd have been finished by now. But i'm still trying to get the little stub out after an hour of cursing and whacking it with hammers/chissels drilling holes through it, still won't budge, pissed off isn't the word for it really.

magnumpi

Re: Stooopid lowering question + another.

Post by magnumpi » 28 Apr 2010 06:20 pm

What a nightmare job this has/is being.

However if someone tells me quick it may be back on it's wheels lowered tonight.

Dumb Q 2. The washers Dai gave me with his kit, Where do they go? Under the nuts on the bottom of the spring plate or under the bolts going through the hole at the top?

I only ask as it had no washers before hand so i dunno? Don't want to redo it all for the saker of a missplaced washer or 8.

Lastly, axle alignment, how? I put masking tape on the springs in line with the bottom plates before i took it all apart, whats the preffered, or exact method?

Thanks from a knarcked off dirty cut handed Paul.